Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Review of OneMotor (the device formerly known as Shareroller)

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Review of OneMotor (the device formerly known as Shareroller)

Old 08-09-19, 03:51 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Taking the motor out tomorrow for a 33 mile ride with my adult son; he's thrilled that "moms" will be more able to keep up with him and he won't have to wait for me to catch up all the time. He paces at 22mph average so riding with me, unmotored, is a drag...literally.
Today I took it out to make sure everything was set properly as I haven't ridden with it for a little over a week. I discovered that by going up two gears and keeping the same cadence I normally ride (80-85rpm), with the motor on level assist 1, it's a hell of a lot of exercise. The motor at that level with a two gear jump pretty much makes the gearing feel like my usual gear and effort. Maybe even a little bit harder. And I'm going faster so I can get an exercise run in even when I don't have an hour or more. My standard exercise only run is about an hour and I did it today about 20 minutes faster. Mph normally is around 12 average and with the increased gearing and motor, I was flying at 16mph. And sweating. It's nice to know I can get a really good workout using the motor and my gears. On my Dahon Mu Uno (single speed) it doesn't work that way, I actually spin out pretty quickly, but that's my transport/cargo bike so I don't care.
Old 08-26-19, 09:23 AM
linberl

Perfect combination: 1Motor drive + pakiT combined with my Burley Travoy. I needed a new ceiling light fixture and didn't want to rent a Gig car to bring it home, so I biked over to Ikea with my trailer. I wasn't sure how big the box would be so I couldn't be certain I would be able to get it home, but the burley travoy has these amazingly adjustable tie-down straps so it worked fine. The suspended bottom meant the glass didn't break riding over the horribly cracked streets. And the 1M meant a smooth quick ride home even in bad traffic. There's a short part of this ride that puts me on a very busy main street - and normally I avoid it - but with the trailer it was the best route. I really appreciated being able to keep up with the cars (bad traffic meant they were only going 20mph max) so the bike and trailer and I weren't a target.
Old 11-11-19, 03:53 PM
linberl

Just an update - my OM has been to the mothership and had the newest software installed. Performance is even better now. Today was the truest test for me of this system. I put the motor and battery in my sling bag and rode to Costco on my single speed Dahon with my Burley Travoy trailer. I loaded the trailer up with 40lbs of dog food and a gigantic laundry detergent that weighed 10lbs. After I purchased, I put the OM system on my bike and rode home, over a very steep freeway overpass. Now no way I would have done this on a single speed with 50lbs +10lbs for the trailer - I would have had to push it. As I approached the overpass I flicked the PAS level up to 6 (just guessing) of the 9 available, and it was like riding the flats all the way up and over!!! The motor never struggled, I didn't struggle, it was everything I had hoped it would be. And I love that I could carry it in my bag and ride analog with the empty trailer on the way there.
Old 02-26-20, 10:46 PM
linberl

Another update for anyone still interested. This time it's about range. I've had the drive for about 8 months now. My most recent ride resulted in 17.6 miles in PAS level 1 including climbing the incline of the Bay Bridge. I had 34% battery remaining after this ride. So I would easily have achieved the stated 20 miles or probably a bit more. I had anticipated getting a 2d battery after the 1st year, but maybe not as it's holding up quite well. Not sure what the diagonal line on the display is - it wasn't there when I looked with my eyeballs, probably something with the camera. Still very happy with the unit and performance, ease of use and light weight and delighted with the range on such a small battery (you can buy a large one if you want).

Old 02-27-20, 02:08 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
That is pretty impressive. I'm curious. Do you have the compact battery or the extended one?

Originally Posted by linberl
Another update for anyone still interested. This time it's about range. I've had the drive for about 8 months now. My most recent ride resulted in 17.6 miles in PAS level 1 including climbing the incline of the Bay Bridge. I had 34% battery remaining after this ride. So I would easily have achieved the stated 20 miles or probably a bit more. I had anticipated getting a 2d battery after the 1st year, but maybe not as it's holding up quite well. Not sure what the diagonal line on the display is - it wasn't there when I looked with my eyeballs, probably something with the camera. Still very happy with the unit and performance, ease of use and light weight and delighted with the range on such a small battery (you can buy a large one if you want).

Old 02-27-20, 02:11 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by edwong3
That is pretty impressive. I'm curious. Do you have the compact battery or the extended one?
I have the compact battery. I wanted the smaller size and lighter weight, thinking I would get a second battery when this one starts to deteriorate. I figure at that point I can decide on whatever size makes most sense for me, but you can't fly with the bigger one so I would
probably just add a second smaller one. I'm really tempted to run the battery out completely just to see the max range I can get, but I read that's bad for the battery so I guess I won't.
My experience is that most manufacturers overstate their range on e-bikes so I am very pleasantly surprised to see that OneMotor has been very honest.
Old 02-27-20, 09:01 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Well the range is certainly good for such a small package. Nice.

Originally Posted by linberl
I have the compact battery. I wanted the smaller size and lighter weight, thinking I would get a second battery when this one starts to deteriorate. I figure at that point I can decide on whatever size makes most sense for me, but you can't fly with the bigger one so I would
probably just add a second smaller one. I'm really tempted to run the battery out completely just to see the max range I can get, but I read that's bad for the battery so I guess I won't.
My experience is that most manufacturers overstate their range on e-bikes so I am very pleasantly surprised to see that OneMotor has been very honest.
Old 05-08-20, 09:35 AM
linberl

Just a quick update - OM is still running great. After just about a year, the battery is charging to 97%. Range is still a good 20 miles at low assist. No need yet to change batteries in the controller/PAS - I recharge every 5 days or so.
Under the current Covid=19 rules, I find myself using it every day now, something I had never anticipated. Our local flatter pathways are so crowded with walkers and families with kids getting exercise, that I have had to find new routes to use to keep away from the crowds (and to avoid having to wear a mask while I ride). This has meant hills. Lots of hills. Having the OM on the bike has allowed me to get in some great exercise while avoiding everyone - something I could not have done motorless. I never in a million years would have anticipate this use for my OM!!! Hope you all are staying safe and getting exercise out there.