Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giant Defy or Specialized Roubaix?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 12:46 AM
atcilscot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys...
New to the forum.
Need some advice on two bikes. Cannot test ride them.
I have the opportunity to buy either a Giant Defy Advanced SL1 2016 or a Specialized Roubaix sport for the same price.
Both endurance bikes (which is what i am looking for). Coming from a cyclocross bike...Norco threshold A105 2016.
Need a bike with more relaxed geometry. Anyway...looking to hear form anybody that has experience with either of these bikes. I am riding my cx bike on the road with 35mm tyres and my main question is which of these is going to give me the best all round comfortable feeling without being over comfortable or detrimental to the characteristics of the bike. (giant has 28mm tyres maybe room for 30, and the specialized states that it accepts 32 ....maybe more?)
Hope you guys can help

Thanks
Old 03-04-20, 05:36 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by atcilscot
Hi Guys...
New to the forum.
Need some advice on two bikes. Cannot test ride them.
I have the opportunity to buy either a Giant Defy Advanced SL1 2016 or a Specialized Roubaix sport for the same price.
Both endurance bikes (which is what i am looking for). Coming from a cyclocross bike...Norco threshold A105 2016.
Need a bike with more relaxed geometry. Anyway...looking to hear form anybody that has experience with either of these bikes. I am riding my cx bike on the road with 35mm tyres and my main question is which of these is going to give me the best all round comfortable feeling without being over comfortable or detrimental to the characteristics of the bike. (giant has 28mm tyres maybe room for 30, and the specialized states that it accepts 32 ....maybe more?)
Hope you guys can help

Thanks
I really like Giant bikes and believe you get the most bang for the buck with them. I have a Roam I put lots of miles on, and did my first century on it. But, for an endurance bike, the Roubaix is the way to go in my opinion. I have a 2016 SL4 Disc, and a 2020 Comp. Have done about six centuries on the SL4, and ride my Comp on shorter rides (for right now).

If I wanted to try something other than a Roubaix, I would probably consider a Trek Domane.
Old 03-04-20, 05:45 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
In terms of comfort, it's a toss up. The one that fits you best is the one that's going to be most comfortable, but since you can't test ride, I'd probably go with the Giant. It's much better value for your money. A quick search shows the SL1 with 6800 groupset and disc brakes. SL4 with 5800 and rim brakes.
Old 03-04-20, 06:58 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I have a 2018 Roubaix Elite. Basically , the same bike, with hydraulic discs. It has the 105 groupset. It is a very comfortable bike to ride. I have a bit more than 9000 miles on it in 2 years of ownership. Have not had any problems with the bike at all. I am sure the Giant is as good a bike as the Specialized. The dealer can make or break the joy of ownership. I am very fortunate to have a terrific lbs that takes good care of me and my bike. The fit is extremely important for comfort also. Check it to the best of your ability before buying and you will be happy with either.
Old 03-04-20, 08:36 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Funnily enough I have a Roubaix and was considering a Norco 105 to use as a rain bike (no fender mounts on the Roubaix) before getting a different cx bike. What model year Roubaix are you considering, and what level? Specialized has made at least 3 significant changes to the Roubaix in the past 5 years.
Old 03-04-20, 10:15 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
I put a LOT of miles on a Defy.... absolutely great bike..... spent the last month in Mexico riding on horrible pavement/potholes., rock roads..... I'll be looking at Roubaix and Trek Domanes to see if they may handle it better. So... what type of roads will you be riding??? Makes a big difference
Old 03-08-20, 02:06 PM
atcilscot

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys,
Thanks to all for the input. Forgot to state that the roubaix is the sport model for the current year. My bad.
I think i am leaning towards the roubaix over the giant...partly because i do not want to have to deal with press fit bottom bracket problems down the road ..the roubaix has a threaded, and the logistical requirements of putting the bike in the car with a seat post that cannot be lowered(the giant defy).
Both of the bikes look to be great bikes.. just the roubaix is a bit more practical for me at the moment.
Old 03-08-20, 04:42 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I think you won't be disappointed. It is a comfy ride. Have an Expert Di2 myself.
Old 03-08-20, 04:53 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Don't think you can go wrong with either. I think the Roubaix has a little more vibration dampening tech built into the frame.
Old 03-08-20, 05:29 PM
Crosis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a question. Not trying to bash anyone’s bike but it’s an honest question. Giant was always the bike that hood rats dumped when they stole a trek or similar bike. Giant was not the target of choice. Has Giant changed its reputation or quality recently?
Old 03-08-20, 07:00 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Crosis
I have a question. Not trying to bash anyone’s bike but it’s an honest question. Giant was always the bike that hood rats dumped when they stole a trek or similar bike. Giant was not the target of choice. Has Giant changed its reputation or quality recently?
No, obviously the "hood rats" didn't know what they had.
Old 03-08-20, 10:03 PM
Crosis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
No, obviously the "hood rats" didn't know what they had.
Serves them right
Old 03-08-20, 10:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Giant has always had all the quality but none of the cachet ... and therefore, less of the price.
Old 03-10-20, 10:45 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Maybe anecdotal but I think on the internet I see the most amount of damaged carbon frames coming from Giant but this could be due to them being the largest bike company out there. However there is no denying the Giant Defy Advanced SL1 is a slick ride and would be my choice if the bike checks out since you never mentioned if the bike was used or a holdover.

If you are coming from a gravel bike and wanted a more endurance ride than hands down the Roubaix since it accepts 28mm tire standard, has a more relaxed geometry, and has the stem shock. If you are looking to get into faster riding than the Giant