Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scratch Free Bikes After 1 Year Plus

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 07:00 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts

Who has managed to keep their bikes relatively scratch free after a year of riding. This is an impossible task, unless you leave the bike at home and never ride it.
Old 08-23-18, 08:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Given your premise, you are asking people to raise their hands and admit that they buy new bikes and never ride them. I don’t think you’ll get very many of those responses on a forum dedicated to cycling.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-23-18, 08:17 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
An unscratched bike makes me sad.
Old 08-23-18, 08:24 PM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn’t buy my bike so it can sit in a glass box and rub it with a diaper. It’s like when my fiancé *****es and moans about scratches on her car. Honey if you drive it then this stuff will happen. It’s just stuff people!
Old 08-23-18, 08:31 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I dunno, ever watch Antiques Roadshow on PBS, when they have people bring in toys they were given as kids from the 1930's and 40's that are still in new condition in the original box?

Some amazingly responsible kid had the restraint and foresight to take perfect care of the item, as well as keep the original box. I was never such a kid, but some people are just this way even as kids. probably far less than 5% of the population. Who are responsible for nearly 100% of the antique toys that come up for auction in perfect condition.
Old 08-23-18, 08:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
My Ti bike is in pretty top shape. The cranks did get a little bit of nicking but the frame is unmarked. However bikes are meant to be ridden, scratches suck but they happen and if you are riding the bike it don't matter as long as you enjoy it!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-23-18, 08:38 PM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
I dunno, ever watch Antiques Roadshow on PBS, when they have people bring in toys they were given as kids from the 1930's and 40's that are still in new condition in the original box?

Some amazingly responsible kid had the restraint and foresight to take perfect care of the item, as well as keep the original box. I was never such a kid, but some people are just this way even as kids. probably far less than 5% of the population. Who are responsible for nearly 100% of the antique toys that come up for auction in perfect condition.
I hear ya but it comes down to different strokes for different folks. For example being born in 1974 and what I grew up with I had Smurfs, Star Wars characters and much more would be worth a fortune today if I never played with them. But I did just that; in fact the only toy I really didn’t get to play with as a kid was my train set because my mom said it would be worth money some day. I didn’t see the point if you get something use it. In the end the thing rusted and her so cold investment became junk.

What I am saying is when our time is up we can’t take it with us so unless you are planning to make a profit, enjoy it instead of putting it up on a mantle.

Side note I still have my original Star War sheets that I used many times and still in mint condition. Waiting for the right time to sell that and it won’t be cheap for it’s the real deal.
Old 08-23-18, 08:53 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
My fat bike is relatively scratch free. Much softer crashing in snow than on tarmac
Old 08-23-18, 09:10 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
For the peeps that like the idea of a scratched bike, you would love my Marin road bike. On my second ride, I somehow took a spill, Erased my memory for 30 minutes or so (with no recollection of crash), and came to while still riding a bike with scratches on the left front and rear. Oh, well. I’m lucky the concussion left no permanent injuries and nothing was bent. After two years, thebike still rides super nice.
Old 08-23-18, 09:15 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Who has managed to keep their bikes relatively scratch free after a year of riding. This is an impossible task, unless you leave the bike at home and never ride it.
this is why, much as I’d love one, I’ll never have some exquisite De Rosa or Colnago steel frame - the first scratch would break my heart. Unpainted Ti is way easier to live with
Old 08-23-18, 09:22 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Kickstands help to reduce frame scratches.
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 08-23-18, 11:01 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I ordered a frame pad for my Long Haul Trucker right after buying it, to put on the top tube so it wouldn't get scratched when parking it, leaned up against the rusty poles and sign posts I have to use when parking the bike in my area. Before it arrived, I embarked on its first trip to the store. I parked, shopped, loaded the bags, unlocked the bike, and it rolled back, scraping the top tube along the rusty sign post, leaving a nice scrape. lol It was christened on its first real day of use. The pad arrived a few days later.
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-23-18, 11:45 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
XPEL.com no nicks, no scratches, no runs or errors! Works beautifully when applied right.

I pass on purchasing any used or new scratched bikes.... diminished value and neglect
quickly come to mind.

Last edited by Patriot1; 08-25-18 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-24-18, 12:19 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
NuFinish scratch doctor is amazing stuff. Got a yellow scratch on my brand new white bike and poof - gone! I have no idea how or why it works, but it's damn near magic. Also did wonders for my 3 year old Sidi shoes made out of that pleather stuff they use and my wife's bumper.
Old 08-24-18, 12:22 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Heck, my new bike got scratched on the way home in the back of the truck
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-24-18, 03:06 AM
sally552

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR2 DA9000, ICAN SN04

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually used spray paint to fix scratches.
Any recommended tips?
Old 08-24-18, 03:37 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Given your premise, you are asking people to raise their hands and admit that they buy new bikes and never ride them. I don’t think you’ll get very many of those responses on a forum dedicated to cycling.
This describes me to a large extent. I like tinkering with bikes and detailing them. Last year I sold a bike that I had owned for six years and the buyer wanted to see my original sales invoice as he didn't believe the bike was unmarked after six years.

Car detailing is one of my hobbies so I've extended it to detailing bicycles.

All of my bikes are parked in display stands so they don't touch each other or walls.

I find tinkering with bikes and detailing them very therapeutic and rewarding, and a great way to de-stress. I do ride my bikes sometimes, but never in bad weather. Each to their own, I guess...
Likes For taz777:
Old 08-24-18, 04:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Scratches are character marks that tell a story.
Old 08-24-18, 05:23 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by taz777
This describes me to a large extent. I like tinkering with bikes and detailing them. Last year I sold a bike that I had owned for six years and the buyer wanted to see my original sales invoice as he didn't believe the bike was unmarked after six years.

Car detailing is one of my hobbies so I've extended it to detailing bicycles.

All of my bikes are parked in display stands so they don't touch each other or walls.

I find tinkering with bikes and detailing them very therapeutic and rewarding, and a great way to de-stress. I do ride my bikes sometimes, but never in bad weather. Each to their own, I guess...
Maybe you should come visit me...I have some bikes that could use some detailing and TLC!
Old 08-24-18, 05:25 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by phughes
I ordered a frame pad for my Long Haul Trucker right after buying it, to put on the top tube so it wouldn't get scratched when parking it, leaned up against the rusty poles and sign posts I have to use when parking the bike in my area. Before it arrived, I embarked on its first trip to the store. I parked, shopped, loaded the bags, unlocked the bike, and it rolled back, scraping the top tube along the rusty sign post, leaving a nice scrape. lol It was christened on its first real day of use. The pad arrived a few days later.
At least the pad now covers the scratches. 🙂
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-24-18, 06:25 AM
ctbiker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
>XPEL.com no nicks, no scratches, no runs...

I bought a bike that had something like xpel applied to its newly painted surface. It was beautiful until the first scratch event which colored the scratch white. It showed anyone looking close enough that there was a film applied. My further, inevitable scratches finally made it look horrible so I ripped it all off. I'm just naturally rough on my stuff.
Old 08-24-18, 06:29 AM
ctbiker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
>An unscratched bike makes me sad.

It was Grant Petersen of Rivendell who, I think, coined the word "beausage" to glorify the evidence of good bike use.
Likes For ctbiker:
Old 08-24-18, 06:33 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
A brushed titanium finish goes a long way to keep things looking good. A scotch bright pad takes care of most blemishes easily. On another bike I was replacing a broken shifter with shiny new one. After retaping the bars, I knocked it over and put an ugly gouge on the new lever. Some things just aren't meant to be unblemished.
Likes For Bluechip:
Old 08-24-18, 06:43 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah, that kind of thing used to bother me a lot, but in this world, you won't find ever anything that's 100% flawless. If you think it's flawless, you probably aren't looking close enough. Just post some pics here, and it's guaranteed someone will find something wrong with it.

I just tell myself that if a thing was beautiful enough before the scratch, that beauty will still shine though, and the more beautiful something is, the harder you are gonna have to try in order to destroy that beauty.
Old 08-24-18, 06:44 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My father was so careful with his stuff that he hardly used it. He never once tied his boat to the dock lest it get a scratch, was reluctant to put the top down on a 60 Chevy convertible because it would wear it out. He dropped a hammer on the washing machine and ordered a new lid.

While I exercise care I use my stuff and it looks like it.
Likes For sail:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.