Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 03:52 PM
nwmtnbkr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
I'll trade you! It's "Belgian" according to the label.
LOL, your's is pretty valuable. It looks like it's solid milk chocolate. The Chocolate Vault sells a hollow 3-D milk chocolate version of the Capitol building for $35. I wonder if that was a specially-made corporate gift from Costco? I see a Kirkland sticker.
Old 12-19-09, 09:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
It's snowing heavily here on the east coast. I didn't cycle today, but there were two bikes locked up at the supermarket.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-20-09, 07:26 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
LOL, your's is pretty valuable. It looks like it's solid milk chocolate. The Chocolate Vault sells a hollow 3-D milk chocolate version of the Capitol building for $35. I wonder if that was a specially-made corporate gift from Costco? I see a Kirkland sticker.
Good guess! Pretty sure it was a corporate gift and from the email addy, I know the company who was sending them. It's hollow. The one in the group shot was broken open while I loaded my hand cart. They offered me a taste, but I declined.

I was going to re-gift it at a Christmas party yesterday that was cancelled due to snow. A play I was supposed to attend at the historic Lincoln Theatre got cancelled too. (Related trivia, 98 people died in the Knickerbocker Theatre when the roof collapsed due to the weight of the biggest snowfall in our city's history, back in January 1922. Yesterday's storm was the biggest in December on record). If I had known my plans would be nixed I probably could have talked a fiend into taking me skiing. I misspelled friend but fiend actually works better in this context. Haha
Old 12-20-09, 06:23 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Good guess! Pretty sure it was a corporate gift and from the email addy, I know the company who was sending them. It's hollow. The one in the group shot was broken open while I loaded my hand cart. They offered me a taste, but I declined.

I was going to re-gift it at a Christmas party yesterday that was cancelled due to snow. A play I was supposed to attend at the historic Lincoln Theatre got cancelled too. (Related trivia, 98 people died in the Knickerbocker Theatre when the roof collapsed due to the weight of the biggest snowfall in our city's history, back in January 1922. Yesterday's storm was the biggest in December on record). If I had known my plans would be nixed I probably could have talked a fiend into taking me skiing. I misspelled friend but fiend actually works better in this context. Haha
Snow is a 4-letter word in DC, the region has never reacted well to it and the sheer volume of people that live in the region doesn't help. (I feel sorry for the plows trying to clear the beltway and major arteries while so many people are still out on the road.) I remember being stranded in Rome, Italy when the March storm of 93 hit the east coast. The airlines at the airport in Rome had the police on hand before they started announcing that all flights to the US eastern seaboard had been canceled. January, 1996 saw a pretty good snow storm, as I recall. All-in-all, better a snow storm than an ice storm.
Old 12-22-09, 03:42 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Well, with the exception of two runs in excess of 65 miles, I have decided to lay my car up over the Christmas and new year period, and use my bikes instead for all the utility errends that are required by my small business, my domestic shopping, and seasonal local travel to friends, etc. The snow is now thawing here in Norwich, so it's a round trip of about 20 miles or so to collect some rather elegant glass, flip top bottles. These Lois & I will engrave, and then fill with some of my very potent (and award winning) Home-brewed smoked walnut Mead as a present for Lois' father, and some of my home-made fruit vinegars for Lois' mother
Old 12-27-09, 05:05 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DH and I rode to a local take-out for Mexican food...which was delicious, especially after a fun ride in the brisk air! Total of 3-miles, maybe.
Old 01-03-10, 11:44 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Towed Pepper to the local McD's for a fun treat. Total of 8.08 miles. DH put a new hitch on my trailer so it's easier to use and more secure than the original.
Old 01-04-10, 10:00 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Last week I did a 19 mile journey on my Falcon Explorer with; 25kgs in the front panniers, 18kg in the rear panniers, and with close on 35kgs loaded on my 10kg trailer, which with me at 79Kgs makes it one tough bike.

I am in the process of moving to a new workshop and it was a load of Cordless power tools, and consumible items. The weather was good albeit cold, and so the jorney was uneventful; especially the unladen ride home.
Old 01-05-10, 06:53 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Three boxes of legal 'brief' which I had trouble dropping to a tiny toxic lawyer's office in NE. They were on the phone with the sender complaining about the size of the stuff and I had to leave without a signature. They did not want to accept the delivery but once I overheard addressee complaining to the sender about the number of boxes, I had enough proof of delivery, no denying receipt at that point, see you later!

Mail order rim in the brown box. It cost too much and isn't really what I was hoping for, but I guess I'll use it. Also in the box, a new Road Morph pump. In the white plastic bag, a floor pump I was carrying just in case, until my new pump arrived. Happy to leave that at home, it was always very in the way.
Old 01-05-10, 07:19 PM
dzrthauler
I can - therefore, I do..

Bikes: '84 Motocruiser, '10 KHS TR 101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hah... nicely done re: the "verbal receipt"!! Love the use of your reflection for the pic!! Going through "trailer DT's"... mine is stripped of wheels until I get everything in and installed.. **sigh**
Old 01-05-10, 09:39 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice pic. If I was you I'd get that trailer wheel looked at, all those boxes of legal 'brief' have bent it out of shape

I took another TV off down to there recycle center, I ended up bringing back - a kiddies bike for the wheels - A 3 shelf side table and a sky digital box.
Thats the trouble with taking stuff off to the dump, you end up bringing more home than you took

Regards
Tom

Last edited by BossCat; 01-05-10 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 09:25 AM
Gareth

Originally Posted by BossCat
The recycle center, I ended up bringing back - a kiddies bike for the wheels - A 3 shelf side table and a sky digital box.
Thats the trouble with taking stuff off to the dump, you end up bringing more home than you took

Regards
Tom
Ahh! the joys of the local dump. I'm as bad if not worse than you mate.
Old 01-13-10, 02:31 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went down to the recycle center again today (sorry no pics, phone batt died), took back a couple old wrecked bikes. I had a bit of a rummage around and found a nice pair of 18in wheels - Trailers getting new wheels

Im now thinking my trailer is a bit on the heavy side? It maybe the stainless steel lid thats adding excess weight? I'll take it off and see.

Regards
Tom
Old 01-15-10, 07:25 PM
dzrthauler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dog food run into Palmdale with new axle and wheel set-up (pics to be posted on the pic thread later..) 70lbs. of kibble and 28.19 mi. rt - including a "lunch date" at Subway w/ CyclePup!!
Old 01-15-10, 08:05 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tested out the new flatbed trailer iv'e been making over the last couple of days. Took a load of wood down to the recycle center. The load make not look heavy but it was.

Off to dump wood:

While on my way to the recycle center I got a strange feeling coming from the trailer? I thought it maybe the weight of the wood set forward on the trailer was making me think I had a flat tyre.
At the dump I checked out the trailer.

Oh Dear:

Looks like the wheel spindle is bent? I took the trailer off and turned it over, only to find that a nut had worked its way loose (I'll add spring washers). I re-tightened the nut and all was ok bar for the fact that I did actually have a half flat tyre. Im thinking I may have a slow puncture.

Apart from the little mishaps the new flatbed towed along great

Regards
Tom
Old 01-16-10, 06:55 AM
Gareth

Laundry run for me today; two front panniers worth on my Hybrid, and then I'll nip over to Lidls on a grocery run, returing from my place with clean laundry and all the shopping back to Lois' on the Loaded longtail I'm prototyping at the moment.
Old 01-16-10, 09:26 PM
eggnoggbubble

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat (size 54 - I'm 5'11"), Surly Pugsley Ops (tires:JJ4.0)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
what's in the box?

What's in the box? A second hand 7ft xmas tree (cheap in january!), the lady didnt believe it would go on my bicycle, but it did! (the box came free with the tree, bargain!)

However, this is not a recommended method - the box bottom cracked going over the bumps on the way home (the yuba was so stable that I kind of forgot to be careful), I needed a wider base. Tomorrow I lug it across town to school (I bought it for school for next year, this years was pretty small...) so I'll put a sheet of plywood between the box and the rack. Live and learn, tho I feel a little bad about it - broken plastic is eventually just landfill

happy lugging
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
xmas tree small.jpg (39.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-16-10, 09:43 PM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Major shopping trip, including a run to Sam's Club. I think I just about maxed the capacity of my Go Getters in terms of volume.

Bike loaded, outside my back door. I didn't get home until after dark.

The bike and the haul. I love my Mundo.
Old 01-16-10, 10:05 PM
eggnoggbubble

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat (size 54 - I'm 5'11"), Surly Pugsley Ops (tires:JJ4.0)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
nice v3 mundo! mine's v2, there's always a newer model eh? I'm pretty happy with mine nonetheless. I also love those gogetter bags, simple, practical, and huge. I gotta ask - that the bike on the sidestand the mundo ships with nowadays? How's it working out? The bipod i got doesnt really keep it stable, tho i got a welder friend to widen its feet so it is better. I'm keeping my eye out for other options tho. That sidestand looks interesting because with enough width and lean, hypothetically it should be fairly stable to load up, what's your opinion.
Old 01-16-10, 10:25 PM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eggnoggbubble
nice v3 mundo! mine's v2, there's always a newer model eh? I'm pretty happy with mine nonetheless. I also love those gogetter bags, simple, practical, and huge. I gotta ask - that the bike on the sidestand the mundo ships with nowadays? How's it working out? The bipod i got doesnt really keep it stable, tho i got a welder friend to widen its feet so it is better. I'm keeping my eye out for other options tho. That sidestand looks interesting because with enough width and lean, hypothetically it should be fairly stable to load up, what's your opinion.
Thanks! I think they finally got most of the bugs worked out with the V3. I get lots of questions, and I think one of the local bike shops is looking at the Mundo as one of the possible cargo bikes for them to stock.

The sidestand is the stock one, yes. It mostly works well, but the bike still tips over fairly easily with an unbalanced load. It can also be a little tough to catch with your foot to extend it, depending on the circumstances. I'm waiting for the new Stand Alone revision to come out this Spring. I haven't looked very hard, but it's about the only vertical stand I've seen that doesn't look less stable than the current side stand.
Old 01-17-10, 10:45 AM
memnoch_proxy
nw commuter

Bikes: trek antelope, trek 3900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a trip to the Library and the grocery store yesterday with my son. I've hauled much more on other trips, but I got a serene moment of him standing near creek. https://blog.bitratchet.com/2010/01/1...whatcom-creek/
Old 01-17-10, 12:51 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice pic memnoch_proxy.

Where are all the fish!!!

Regards
Tom
Old 01-17-10, 01:09 PM
JackESavage

Bikes: vintage Raleigh fixed-gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
returned a library book to Brooklyn Public Library, bought some beets at farmers' market in Grand Army Plaza, then did 2 loops around Prospect Park for excersize. a girl beat me
Old 01-18-10, 11:46 AM
dzrthauler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just ran quick trip to Stater Bros. 16 mi. rt) maybe 20lbs.. had to beat the rain that we are all building Arks for....
Old 01-19-10, 04:15 AM
dwnptrl_777
Señor Member

Bikes: Ti Fatback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I posted all my grocery runs, you'd tire of me very quickly.

But this run...

...was a bit different. Moving big empty boxes is fun when the previous contents include your new Surly Pugsley frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.