Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Trikes are making huge inroads in the recumbent area of cycling

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 08-12-17, 07:01 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

Just look at youtube videos of the 2017 Midwest Recumbent Rally. Back in 2008 when I attended the MRR there were only a few riders on trikes. Now in 2017 it looks like at least half of the riders were on trikes.

Maybe this can be laid to the fact that the bent riders of the 90s and the 00s are getting older and going to trikes. It will be interesting to see how the bent scene shakes out in another 5 to 10 years.
Old 08-12-17, 01:30 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts
Trikes have really taken off.

Old 08-15-17, 10:49 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
When the Recumbent Retreat started 20 years ago, there were about 30 bikes and two trikes. Now it's about 70 trikes and 30 bikes. It's still all fun.

https://vimeo.com/59688039

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-16-17, 09:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Pretty much it seems that once a person rides a trike, they are hooked. Here in Lincoln now when on my usual 30 mile ride I almost always see at least one trike.
Old 08-16-17, 10:34 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Trikes are rare around here, but I see others occasionally. I get a lot of questions when I ride mine, though, but interest wanes once they hear the price tag.
Old 08-16-17, 08:34 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
"Why would you want to ride something weird like that?" said JanMM with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek.
Old 08-16-17, 09:43 PM
varaonaid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trikes definitely have taken off. I've heard one of the fastest growing segments of cycling. It's evident in the fact that HPV's US warehouses stock completely ran out of their Gekko FX 20 back in June (at the start of the summer) and Gekko FX 26 shortly thereafter and Catrike just doubled their manufacturing location and are adding a lot of additional employees. Not sure what's driving the increases but as a trike rider myself, it's such great fun. It's interesting to watch interest and adoption grow.
Old 08-17-17, 06:10 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
"Why would you want to ride something weird like that?"
I don't think that I've ever been asked that question. Possibly, after considering the rider, they don't feel the need to ask. While I have sensed some unstated disapproval from some of my riding fellows, I'm also getting a number of interested questions from others.
Old 08-17-17, 08:21 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
"Why would you want to ride something weird like that?" said JanMM with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek.
This is the question that could be in the mind of someone riding something completely different from what another person is riding. Not usually voiced.
Old 08-19-17, 07:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Just look how TerraTrike and Catrike have had to expand the production lines in the last few years.
Old 08-22-17, 07:03 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I don't think that I've ever been asked that question. Possibly, after considering the rider, they don't feel the need to ask. While I have sensed some unstated disapproval from some of my riding fellows, I'm also getting a number of interested questions from others.
LOL Jan's tongue was firmly planted in his cheek because recumbent riders in general tend to get that question from upright riders.
Old 09-03-17, 10:30 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Just look how TerraTrike and Catrike have had to expand the production lines in the last few years.
Greenspeed too. My 2006-built GTO has finally circled the globe (eastward) and is now being ridden regularly in Victoria. An older machine but it sure is robust - not being used by a 106 kg rider with lumbar vertenrae issues.

Saw the new Magnum at a Melbourne bike shop so added some of it's enhancements (locking brake levers) to the GTO. New Schwalbe Marathons are a nice robust set of ti(y)res too.
Old 09-11-17, 06:08 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

When I attended the Smokey Mountain Recumbent Rally in 2016, it was attended by something like 99 trike riders and 3 upright riders.
Old 09-11-17, 05:36 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts
Xenia, this weekend, was about 23 trikes to 2 or 3 two-wheelers all three days.

Old 09-12-17, 10:42 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
When the Recumbent Retreat started 20 years ago, there were about 30 bikes and two trikes. Now it's about 70 trikes and 30 bikes. It's still all fun.

Last Saturday:

Old 09-13-17, 05:50 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Are the 30 bikes still the same guys as 20 years ago?
Old 09-13-17, 06:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts

I wonder if it isn't that people are bailing on the 2 wheel recumbents, but rather the two wheelers are occupying the same fringe niche they had twenty years ago.

The three wheelers is a new growth area.
Old 09-13-17, 06:47 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I have to say that I loved riding my trike. It was comfortable, had a neat layout to have and use your gadgets onboard, was stable (for the most part) and felt super fast going down a hill. It was awesome while I lived in an area with gentle rolling hills and good sight lines. The area I am in now is full of quick rollers with no sight lines. Either way I leave from the house has one or more within a mile. Even with a flag I was constantly in fear of being hit, and had several close calls.

We started loading ours up to ride on paths that are nearby. We are pretty lucky in that we have a golf cart heavy area nearby with an expansive network of paths serving the entire town. Aside from having to load the 40+ pound bikes up (loaded), and haul them down there, the paths were in rough shape with root heave at the time. We ended up selling ours to some folks we "knew" down in Columbus, GA...where it's flat.

If I were to purchase again, which is certainly on my mind, it would be after I move and have rear suspension. I would prefer having a model with a better design on the boom than the previous Catrikes as well, but not to say I wouldn't look at the brand again. We were pretty happy with them, overall.
Old 09-18-17, 10:35 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Are the 30 bikes still the same guys as 20 years ago?
Most of them have converted... or simply brought both two wheelers and three wheelers to the Retreat. The trails around Fort Stevens are excellent for tootling around on trikes.

Old 09-19-17, 02:38 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I have talked to several dealers here and they are all telling me that lots of folks have balance issues with two wheel recumbents. Therefore the trikes have become way more popular.

I just started with the recumbent bikes. But I have started with two wheelers first. The main reasons are:
- I commute by bike and we have a bike rack in the office at the bottom of a stairwell. Basically indoor covered parking. But the doors, corridors and corners to the stairwell are too narrow for a trike. I would have to leave it outside.
- Lots of the trails in our area date back to 80s and are narrow. 6 feet or less and with lots of other folks on these trails the trikes can become too wide as well.
- And last but not least used two wheel recumbents are cheaper to find.

These were the main reasons I started with two wheel recumbents. I also need to find out if I need a more upright or reclined seat position. I have degenerative arthritis in my spine and I am very sensitive to seat angle, neck and shoulder support. Therefore I bought two used recumbents which are very opposite: One is a Phantom Lightning with a very reclined seat and the other one is Bike-E with a more upright feeling. Paid just a little over $300 for both bikes combined. If they work: great. If not I probably can sell them for the same price.
But maybe sometime in the future I might move on to a trike or add one to the collection.
Old 09-21-17, 05:53 AM
BlazingPedals

Originally Posted by Harhir
I have talked to several dealers here and they are all telling me that lots of folks have balance issues with two wheel recumbents. Therefore the trikes have become way more popular.
Most folks are wobbly when first learning how to ride a recumbent. It's a different position and you can't balance them by shifting your weight around; you have to steer them. What I see is a lot of middle-agers who realize they need to add some exercise to their lives and lose some weight; but want the easiest way out possible. That means a trike, since there's no learning curve and no minimum speed. They can tootle around the bike path at 3 mph and feel good about 'exercising.' There are two of these people where I work. Neither one rides regularly, and of course neither has gained any fitness or lost any weight since getting their trikes.
Old 09-21-17, 12:10 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You got a fantastic deal on the Lightning Phantom if you got both bikes for $300 considering the newer Phantom II is still in production with an MSRP of $1,890. It will definitely be harder to learn to ride than the BikeE. Bicycleman in Alfred NY compares it to my Haluzak Horizon but mine has underseat steering. I also owned a BikeE AT which has since been thrown into the dumpster. It was the easiest recumbent for test rides and quickly adjustable for different sized riders but I just hated the way it handled and the "modest" gear range. My second recumbent was a long wheelbased Linear and it was way more efficient than the BikeE. Maybe if first time buyers tried a long wheelbased recumbent they would buy that instead of the trike. Shops are now carrying lots of trikes because you carry what will move out the door quickly. You can even find them at reasonable prices on CL. My local CL has 3 trikes - Catrike Road for $1,500, a Catrike Trail for $1,600, and a Terratrike Zoomer Elite for $800. The Road and the Trail are worth buying.
I ride a trike most of the time and it is not because I'm tipsy but because the trike is so much more fun to ride.
Old 09-24-17, 02:50 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Trikes are easily the LAZY BOY of the pedaling industry. Why shouldn't they be on the move to a greater segment of the cycling industry, after all, we ain't getting any younger.

Ride today for this 67yo is the Six Gap Century CycleNorthGeorgia.com Home of the Six Gap Century , not too trike friendly. Some day in the future might find me on a trike for the Spacecoast Freewheelers Cross Florida Ride https://spacecoastfreewheelers.com/charities/xfl/. "IN THE FUTURE"

Y'all enjoy your steeds.
Old 09-24-17, 05:17 PM
BlazingPedals

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Some day in the future might find me on a trike for the Spacecoast Freewheelers Cross Florida Ride https://spacecoastfreewheelers.com/charities/xfl/. "IN THE FUTURE"
I believe that event is dominated by a few bents every year. But they're not trike-type bents.
Old 09-24-17, 06:53 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I believe that event is dominated by a few bents every year. But they're not trike-type bents.
Maybe I'll be the first

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.