Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Niner RLT 9 RDO Reviewed by Gravel Cyclist

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Niner RLT 9 RDO Reviewed by Gravel Cyclist

Old 12-28-17, 07:21 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The bike review itself: Looks like the review took many days and in the U.S. This type of review might be different than the other reviews. Where is this guy from? Did he come all the way just to do a ride and a review?
Old 12-28-17, 08:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
The bike review itself: Looks like the review took many days and in the U.S. This type of review might be different than the other reviews. Where is this guy from? Did he come all the way just to do a ride and a review?
Jason O'Malley is from Southern Austraillia but resides in Gainsville, Florida. He runs the site gravelcyclist.com and fields a gravel racing team.
His credentials are legit.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-28-17 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-29-17, 07:35 PM
Danny01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These Niner RLT's, be it steel or carbon are not THAT over priced. However it can be cheaper to start with the frameset and source the parts online. The framesets are a bit expensive. MSRP is $2,300 for the RDO. For only $400 more, you can get a Jamis Renegade Expert, the entire bike. Carbon frame, thru axles, Shimano 105 hydros, carbon seatpost, good tires, nice bar tape. They want $1,500 for the 853 version. For about $300 more, you can get a Made in USA custom geometry, made to measure, Gunnar frame and fork. So yeah Niners are not the value choice, but they aren't a rip off compared to some big name brands out there that charge $5,000+ for poorly built carbon frames. A couple hundred bucks over its competitors is whatever if someone wants the Niner for whatever reason. If I had the space and a couple grand to burn, I would have one of each of the RDO and 853 and not have a problem paying retail. Maybe next year...
Old 12-29-17, 09:06 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Got an email from the owner of my LBS today, they have a 4-star coming in next week that I will be able to check out. Looking forward to it.
Old 12-30-17, 08:19 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by Danny01
These Niner RLT's, be it steel or carbon are not THAT over priced. However it can be cheaper to start with the frameset and source the parts online. The framesets are a bit expensive. MSRP is $2,300 for the RDO. For only $400 more, you can get a Jamis Renegade Expert, the entire bike. Carbon frame, thru axles, Shimano 105 hydros, carbon seatpost, good tires, nice bar tape. They want $1,500 for the 853 version. For about $300 more, you can get a Made in USA custom geometry, made to measure, Gunnar frame and fork. So yeah Niners are not the value choice, but they aren't a rip off compared to some big name brands out there that charge $5,000+ for poorly built carbon frames. A couple hundred bucks over its competitors is whatever if someone wants the Niner for whatever reason. If I had the space and a couple grand to burn, I would have one of each of the RDO and 853 and not have a problem paying retail. Maybe next year...
What other bikes are like the Niner RTL as far as price point?
Old 12-30-17, 11:46 AM
Danny01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What other bikes are like the Niner RTL as far as price point?
Comparatively, prices vary depending on the build or frameset but a couple that spring to mind are: Open U.P., Orbea Terra, and 3T Exploro.
Old 12-30-17, 12:06 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny01
Comparatively, prices vary depending on the build or frameset but a couple that spring to mind are: Open U.P., Orbea Terra, and 3T Exploro.
None of these have rack points. About the only similar bike that does is Rodeo's Trail Donkey
Old 12-30-17, 12:13 PM
Danny01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
None of these have rack points. About the only similar bike that does is Rodeo's Trail Donkey
Rack points are of zero importance to me on a carbon frame. If I was to load up a bike it would be steel. Different strokes for different folks.

That's a sick looking bike though..
Old 12-31-17, 08:26 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Jason O'Malley is from Southern Austraillia but resides in Gainsville, Florida. He runs the site gravelcyclist.com and fields a gravel racing team.
His credentials are legit.

-Tim-
It's not enough just to discuss the bike without listening to what Jason O'Malley has to say.

I have often wondered why the Jason types do a review and not do a "compare and contrast" with other bikes it its division. Like Danny mentioned there are other bikes at that price point. If Jason did not review the Orbea, the Open, or the Exploro, then that would be why he did not mention them.

The other thing about the review of Niner is that Jason had to go away from Gainsville FL just to ride the Niner? Who paid for that?
Old 12-31-17, 08:53 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

It's not enough just to discuss the bike without listening to what Jason O'Malley has to say.

I have often wondered why the Jason types do a review and not do a "compare and contrast" with other bikes it its division. Like Danny mentioned there are other bikes at that price point. If Jason did not review the Orbea, the Open, or the Exploro, then that would be why he did not mention them.

The other thing about the review of Niner is that Jason had to go away from Gainsville FL just to ride the Niner? Who paid for that?
The 3T was a featured bike - https://www.gravelcyclist.com/bicycle...th-shimano-di2

His long term review of the Orbea Terra is at https://www.gravelcyclist.com/videos/...ng-term-review

You can go to his website and ask him who paid for his trip. He is very approachable and usually responds to questions. He has posted here in the past.

I appreciate JOMs reviews in the same way I appreciate learning from coworkers who have more experience than I. If your concern is actually discussing the Niner RLT 9 RDO rather than what a reviewer has to say then I would be happy to answer any questions you might have and would like to hear what you have to say about it.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-31-17 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 10:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
I have often wondered why the Jason types do a review and not do a "compare and contrast" with other bikes it its division. Like Danny mentioned there are other bikes at that price point.
Yes, ive often thought this too.
I have my guesses as to why and most involve not burning bridges for free stuff since thats his livlihood.
Old 12-31-17, 04:15 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I actually Appreciate Jayson not doing comparisons!

Just the same as I appreciate Clint comparing the AL/steel/RDO RTL bikes. Especially now that Clint has ridden and dropped a youtube video on all of the RTL frame materials.

For Example, Clint dropped a video on the Al. RLT and it was better, and.......

...but then it wasn't (for reasons) and he gave it up for steel, and the steel was so much better, and.......

...but, then it wasn't stiff enough, so now he has an RDO.

as a consumer we need to read/watch reviews with open minds. It also helps to know where a person is coming from and what their priorities are, be it Jayson or Clint or others.
Rebecca Rusch was all Crux praise, best bike ever until she wasn't Specialized and is now a Niner girl. Now all of a sudden the RDO is the best bike ever. Welcome to sponsorship and free stuff. None of that will ever change.

as consumers we have to read between the lines. Jayson has a thing for fat tires! Of course his Mud reasoning is Legit. However in my opinion his Plus tire love goes above and beyond the Mud clearance reason. His love for plus tires falls into the same reason Jason really loves titanium frames.

Sometimes its not about what they say in a review, but what they don't say.

As in Jaysons only peeve on the RDO was tire clearance. really? If it eats up rough like no bike ever has before, then drop a 33/34 tire on it and go flipping ride some mud. and give us an actual reality on how well it mud rides. If it isn't swamp that 33/34 tire isn't going to sink very far. It also won't pick up near as much mud, and won't need as much clearance. Call me a skeptic, and others with the RDO that have years of riding on them can tell me mud clearance sucks. As of yet I haven't picked up on that from actual RDO owners. I have picked up on the fact that many would like to run larger tires. but never for mud reasons.

So where is the truth on the RDO? It's the best gravel bike Jayson has ever ridden regardless of if he says it isn't because it doesn't have mud clearance. LOL

Last edited by Metieval; 12-31-17 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 07:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

To be clear, JOM's comments about it being the best bike he has ever ridden were in the context of its ability to handle very rough surfaces such as washboard.

It wasn't a comment that it was the best bike he has ever ridden period. He was talking about rough surfaces, bumps and washboard in particular.

-Tim-
Old 12-31-17, 07:45 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval

as a consumer we need to read/watch reviews with open minds. It also helps to know where a person is coming from and what their priorities are, be it Jayson or Clint or others.
Rebecca Rusch was all Crux praise, best bike ever until she wasn't Specialized and is now a Niner girl. Now all of a sudden the RDO is the best bike ever.
Exactly. These top athletes have a right to make some money but take what they say with a grain of salt. Take what anyone says with a grain of salt, but if they're being paid to say it, take more grains of salt.
Old 12-31-17, 09:05 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Jason O'Malley is neither a "Top rider" nor a sponsored athlete. He is no slouch in the saddle but is just a guy with a full time job and a blog.

It is clear that many commenting here have not even looked at his site. That is a shame because it is one of the best sources of information on gravel riding out there.

-Tim-
Old 12-31-17, 09:14 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Jason O'Malley is neither a "Top rider" nor a sponsored athlete. He is no slouch in the saddle but is just a guy with a full time job and a blog.

It is clear that many commenting here have not even looked at his site. That is a shame because it is one of the best sources of information on gravel riding out there.

-Tim-

You mean Jayson aka JOM?
Old 01-01-18, 02:53 AM
Danny01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

this guy had issues with 3 RDO framesets.
Old 01-01-18, 08:09 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
I enjoy the videos. They go to lots of events, fun to see the various riding conditions.
Old 01-01-18, 09:33 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Metieval
You mean Jayson aka JOM?
Yes. His name is Jayson. My bad. Sorry.

-Tim-
Old 01-01-18, 11:12 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Is Niner seen as some sort of cool brand? The pricing does seem rather high here. It's certainly "full retail, brand with cache" pricing at the very least. Note: I make no judgement here on the value of the bike or on people purchasing one, I'm merely commenting on the pricing.
Old 01-02-18, 12:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Is Niner seen as some sort of cool brand? The pricing does seem rather high here. It's certainly "full retail, brand with cache" pricing at the very least. Note: I make no judgement here on the value of the bike or on people purchasing one, I'm merely commenting on the pricing.
Its certainly a boutiqueish brand when compared to the overall market with the pricing and tech they use.
Old 01-02-18, 06:41 AM
Metieval

has anyone ever spent the time to actually look at the Triangle of the RDO? If you continue an imaginary line from the down tube it would miss the BB, and actually run in front of the BB.
I am pretty sure this is where they (Niner) are getting their washboard compliance with the RDO. How does this effect efficiency though?
I have never heard anyone talk about this geometry in their reviews of the RDO. And it isn't near as obvious a driveside chainstay drop used by Open Cycles and on the 3T exploro and a few other bikes.

As for Niner, I suppose most of my dislike comes from their marketing approach. Which I'd liken to Trek marketing approach back in the day. Buy a Trek Lance Armstrong rides a Trek. (and I actually like Lance) I just disagree with that kind of marketing. It's actually a turn off more than an attraction.

anyways about the Geometry of the Down tube. Curious!
Old 03-12-19, 07:47 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
anyone tired to fit 650B on it? would 47mm WTB horizon fit?
Old 03-12-19, 09:10 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
anyone tired to fit 650B on it? would 47mm WTB horizon fit?
i have not personally tried.

but to my Knowledge it doesn't fit on the Carbon RLT RDO version, but it will fit on the steel and aluminum RLT frames.
Old 03-15-19, 09:43 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My local shop used to carry both Niner and Jamis Renegade. They said when people ride both side by side 90% of people buy the Jamis. The Niner was "same thing but at least 30% more expensive."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.