Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me choose please

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help me choose please

Old 06-07-18, 09:08 AM
mayankyadav

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me choose please

hi All
Greetings

I needed your expert opinions on 2 bikes that I have shortlisted for myself -

1- Specialized Allez 2018, costs $750 and has pretty good reviews everywhere as a beginner`s bike ( plus it comes from a trusted and globally known brand ).
2- Airen Sport 2017 from Diamondback, a not very much known brand (??) , not many reviews online about this model and is made for women (and I am a 5'7'' tall guy) ! But it costs $ 450 and has the same components as those of above Specialized model.
Can you tell me please, which one should I choose ( there is a huge $300 cost difference) ?
Will a bike made for women be not fit for men ( I have talked to DB and they say quite a few men buy this model and since I am not very tall, it may fit me ??) ? I know their geometry is a bit different, but does it make any difference ?

I will only use it for commute and some weekend rides. Am not into riding bikes and probably will never be one ! However, I do want to own a nice bike that lasts a long -long time and is not very costly as well. This could probably be the only bike that I will ever own.

Thank you very much guys. Have a great day.
Old 06-07-18, 11:58 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Specialized Allez has several versions. The one that closest matches that price has a carbon fork and seat tube, something the Airen sport does not have.

That will make big difference in ride quality for the better, and thus costs more.

"I know their geometry is a bit different, but does it make any difference "

geometry is everything. A women's bike will tend to have a shorter top tube and longer seat tube.

If you have really long legs for a guy, then it is probably ok.

If you don't, you will feel like you are sitting upright and "squished" into the bike with your hands too close to your body. Kind of like having a steering wheel that is too close for comfort while driving.

Last edited by rgconner; 06-07-18 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 12:45 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The Arien Sport costs $349.99 with the corporate discount if you sign up for an account on their website. You just need the code. CYCLE4TAW was the one I used. If it doesn't work just do a google search and you should be able to find it. There was also a thread about it here. It also works with Raleigh bikes, they're the same company,
Old 06-07-18, 01:59 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I beg to differ with the opinion that a carbon fork and seat post (seat tube as referenced) improve ride quality that is appreciatively noticed, especially the seat post, and especially at the novice level. Do not let a carbon post and fork determine the outcome. I have titanium and steel bikes that out perform in the comfort category anything carbon I have owned or ridden.

For a new rider, a good fit to the bike is first and foremost. This truly is where comfort is found. Second is the quality of shifters, wheels, drive train. In that order. Frame material comes in dead last.
Old 06-07-18, 09:45 PM
mayankyadav

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys... any men out here who are riding. Airen ?
Old 06-08-18, 03:14 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
A women's bike will tend to have a shorter top tube and longer seat tube.

If you have really long legs for a guy, then it is probably ok.
That difference is not because of leg length though. If anything, men have proportionally longer legs more often then women.
Are Women's Body Proportions Different From Men's? -
Old 06-08-18, 04:09 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I beg to differ with the opinion that a carbon fork and seat post (seat tube as referenced) improve ride quality that is appreciatively noticed, especially the seat post, and especially at the novice level. Do not let a carbon post and fork determine the outcome. I have titanium and steel bikes that out perform in the comfort category anything carbon I have owned or ridden.

For a new rider, a good fit to the bike is first and foremost. This truly is where comfort is found. Second is the quality of shifters, wheels, drive train. In that order. Frame material comes in dead last.
I agree. Carbon forks being more comfortable is all marketing and hype, I doubt most riders could even tell the difference between carbon, steel, or aluminum forks. Same for the seat post, carbon posts do not feel any different than aluminum posts when you're riding, imo. And as stated, fit is extremely important, make sure you buy the right size, OP.

As far as the 2 bikes go, the Diamondback roadbikes I've seen are pretty nicely made, The Allez is very nice as well with a better known name. Whether that matters, you'll have to decide.
Old 06-08-18, 03:03 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
That difference is not because of leg length though. If anything, men have proportionally longer legs more often then women.
Are Women's Body Proportions Different From Men's? -
But the point remains: women specific bikes tend to have shorter top tubes.
Old 06-13-18, 06:58 AM
jesterz99

Bikes: specialized , Khs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey

I have a Specialized Allez 2018, . Its a great bike , more comfy geometry then previous versions , Great looking paint job , Great reviews . From what i have read the frame and fork are rated 5 stars. The bike rides great
Old 06-13-18, 11:28 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
How thinly can you slice baloney?
The bicycle component makers all produce several grades of components. The more expensive ones really are a little bit nicer, but the dirty little secret is that even the cheap ones really are functional. How you fit on a particular bike should be the number one criteria.

You mentioned that one of the models you mentioned is considered to be a "woman's" bike. What that usually means is that the reach from the saddle to the handlebars is a little bit shorter than on a bike with more conventional geometry. That's because women, on average, have longer legs relative to their torso than men so they put the handlebars a little bit closer. There are a lot of similar details related to how you fit on the bike. Fit will affect your comfort, power and performance every single minute you are on the bike. A more precise shifting system only matters while you are actually shifting - probably way, way less than 1% of your riding time. Fit is much more important.

The other factor that is under appreciated is pride of ownership. That's because nobody wants to admit it. That's where the nicer components, slightly lighter overall weight, color choices and graphics come into play. Before discarding pride of ownership as a criteria, think about looking at your bike every time that you get ready to ride and thinking yourself "I wish I would have gotten the other one."
Old 06-13-18, 12:37 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I'd go for the 2018 specialized allez myself as they tend to be better engineered frames regarding ride comfort. Components are at the bottom of my list as as long as you're buying $400 and up and not shifting while sprinting they tend to be very similar. I did feel bikes with a carbon fork had a consistently less buzzy ride the last time I was bike buying, though that was a bit back.