Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A question for women (and men with boobs)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A question for women (and men with boobs)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 08:32 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You have never seen a thread and or read a post about something like a base layers? Comes up regularly. I sometimes wear one, especially when touring out west. Mornings can be a bit nippy. A base layer is perfect for starting out, especially if you start out in some hilly country. Love my Rapha wool base layer. Yes. I said the "R" word.
Thank you Mr obvious.. I believe however this OP is about heavy perspiration, not staying warm...
Old 06-05-17, 10:54 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I feel ya, sister. I wear a 44D, and no one makes good bras for my size that don't cost an arm and a leg and some toes. I just wear my regular bra and a men's athletic shirt from Target that wicks moisture very well, is hi-viz, and isn't see-thru (WTF?); it works fairly well. I did find these bra liners though. Interesting.

Last edited by Korina; 06-05-17 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-07-17, 01:19 PM
indiana_jane

Bikes: Trek Domane AL2, Pedego Stretch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a sports bra, and then use anti-perspirant under and between my breasts. Doesn't solve the problem entirely, but helps a bit.
Old 06-07-17, 03:00 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mwalsh5757
I'll be really interested to see what the men wear, if any own up to it at all!
Well thankfully my man boobs have never been big enough to need support, and thankfully with my current success with weight loss they're getting even smaller. I'm going from man boobs to pecs.
Old 06-07-17, 03:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by mwalsh5757
I'll be really interested to see what the men wear, if any own up to it at all!
Most guys my age were trying to hide their 45 sleeve for My Sharona from mom. And we aren't afraid to admit when we are the bigger boob in the room.

PS Your grandpa wore garters?
Old 06-07-17, 03:36 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Thank you Jane, for the honest answer.
Old 06-07-17, 03:43 PM
mwalsh5757

Bikes: His & Hers 1966 Schwinn Collegiates (Mom and Dad), 3 1998 GT Palomars (The Twins and the Red Headed Step)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Yes, and my grandma wore suspenders. But then, that's the way we roll in the shire!
Old 06-08-17, 07:49 AM
gilpi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I think a picture of the "girls" could help us help you
Old 06-08-17, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I remember my grandfather wearing sock garters. That was not uncommon back in the day.
Old 06-25-17, 08:54 PM
Nevermore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I feel ya, sister. I wear a 44D, and no one makes good bras for my size that don't cost an arm and a leg and some toes. I just wear my regular bra and a men's athletic shirt from Target that wicks moisture very well, is hi-viz, and isn't see-thru though. Interesting.
I know this is a slightly old thread but I was reading to see what recommendations were mentioned. Those liners look interesting, did you try them or know anyone who has? They don't look like they come in my size (36G here, I have to go to a specialty shop) but I may see if I can get them to work or find something similar.
Old 06-26-17, 08:57 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Nevermore
I know this is a slightly old thread but I was reading to see what recommendations were mentioned. Those liners look interesting, did you try them or know anyone who has? They don't look like they come in my size (36G here, I have to go to a specialty shop) but I may see if I can get them to work or find something similar.
I didn't try them, but the reviews made for interesting reading. You might try contacting the mfr. directly and see if they'll make you some. Or swipe the idea and bribe a friend who sews. HTH.
Old 06-27-17, 03:28 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Originally Posted by gilpi
I think a picture of the "girls" could help us help you
And, now you know why we have a invitation only women's forum. Sigh.
Old 06-27-17, 09:07 PM
kobaneul

Bikes: Brooklyn Roebling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmmgeekette
What kind of bras or sports bras do you ladies use for exercising/cycling that handle sweat well?
Before I got into cycling I had an underwire encapsulation bra from Freya. It keeps everything solidly in place and Freya cup sizes go up to H. (I also tried their wicking underwear but didn't find them very durable.) I still use this one when the other is in the wash or if I'm doing a more high-impact activity.

Eventually I decided the underwire didn't make sense for cycling so I got this bra from Castelli. I like this one a lot. It doesn't separate as much as the Freya but I find it a lot more comfortable on the bike. Unfortunately the sizes are very limited.

Either of these are going to get wet when you sweat a lot. But the fabric handles it a lot better than that on a regular bra, so I still think it's tolerable.
Old 06-28-17, 12:25 PM
msquared22

Bikes: Salsa Vaya X9

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Moving Comfort for good sports bras. They work pretty well for me when cycling, but you're always going to have that dripping sweat feeling no matter what you wear if it's hot enough.
Old 07-30-18, 10:36 AM
ksovich

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am really sorry to necro such an old thread but this thread keeps coming up in my searches (since apparently there is actually a woman's forum but I didn't know that until I saw it mentioned in a really old post as well and since I can't PM anyone yet ...) I figured I would just post this here since it is one of the threads that keeps coming up.
So I started search for woman's jerseys that would fit me (I am short - 5'0") kind of built like a brick house in a way and have big boobs. However, my waste to boob size to hip size to height just makes life really difficult. I digress.
I wanted to post this because I had the worst time finding a sports bra that would work due to my short torso and big chest, the bottom bands were always like an inch wide and that would actually put the band over the bottom of my ribs so the band would alway flip up. I also hate the uni-boob look as I said, I already have the brick house look going on (I am a power lifter most days after all lol).
I finally found a bra that I love and while it isn't exactly cheap it does go on sale at times as it is a bra sold at Nordstrom (a store in which I do not shop) and they have their yearly sale, which is actually going on now so the bra went from $70 to $47. However, I have also found the older versions (just different colors) on Amazon for about $45. Now this is well worth it even if you purchase it at the $70. I have 2 of them and I wear them at least 5 days a week and have for over a year and they look like I just bought them. I am not always the best at taking care of my bras either but these are fantastic. I have even started wearing them as normal bras as they are convertible to over the shoulder or cross back. They provide amazing support! I am a 36DDD in them (normally wear about a 36DD in regular bras) but they have an impressive size range/cups in those sizes. However, I don't think they go past a 38 band? Which is odd for having so many cup sizes but maybe a bra band extender would work?
I just realized I haven't not posted the name of the bra yet! Zen Contour Convertible Sports Bra by Natori.
Apparently they have some other styles too that I am going to go check out during the Nordstrom sale.

Again, sorry for necroing the thread but I want this information out there in case it might help anyone else.
Old 07-30-18, 11:51 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
If you can get one with model cups that actually comes in a regular bra size, that tends to help. That way you get some separation and not a sweaty uni boob. I also use spray deodorant around the area.