Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Second cycle this year...nearly vomited!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 08:05 AM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I went for a spin today around where I live in the countryside and it took about an hour. I can't believe I didn't time it but I was so excited to get out I just went. It was my intention to take it easy as I know I am not fit. I love when I am out cycling but I never do, or rarely do and I think it is because I find it very tough. We all love doing hard things So today, I wanted to go out for a leisurely spin so that maybe I would not find it so tough and I might be more motivated to go out again.

The hills. Jesus the hills are a killer. I was gasping every few minutes. I am not even talking big rollings ascents just little short and steep yokes that are over in a minute but suck the life out of you. About halfway around I decided to stop and take a breather and have a drink of blackcurrant. I nearly vomited. I just felt so sick. Whether my breakfast had not digested properly or what I don't know but I felt rough. I got back on and went again but my heart wasn't in it. I walked up another hill I could have cycled up. I did start to feel a little better when I was nearer home and I started pedalling well again but if anyone saw me. I was in a granny gear limping home.

Still I'm feeling good about it. Maybe 18km was too much for a first cycle but I have to start somewhere. I will definitely try and alternate my routes so that it doesn't get boring but it would be an amazingly beautiful ride if I was a bit fitter! The scenery is class. It is like a little bit of heaven along a country road. I was half thinking of making a video of it too so keep an eye out for that I had intended taking a few ride pics to show it off but I didn't feel in the humour! Next time

edit: added elevation. Now I feel even worse! It's nothing. I need to cycle more.

Last edited by breadbin; 08-05-18 at 08:22 AM. Reason: added elevation
Old 08-05-18, 12:08 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
good for you. Keep at it. It will get better

I know this as I was there a few years ago when I started cycling.
Old 08-05-18, 12:37 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That’s a nice ride for your first hour ride in awhile. We all have to start at some point. Just keep pedaling away and over the days, weeks, and months, you will look back on this ride and realize how far you’ve come.

Nice job!
Old 08-05-18, 01:31 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Good that you got out there. When I used to take the winters off from biking my first long ride was always painful.
Old 08-05-18, 07:34 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Good that you got out there. When I used to take the winters off from biking my first long ride was always painful.

yes that was the worst! I got into Zwift last winter and last spring there was very little catch up riding.

Keep at it OP. It will get better
Old 08-06-18, 07:57 AM
breadbin

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the encouragement. I am weary about going out today in case I do too much too soon...but I really want to. I think I should make hay when the sun shines so to speak. I'm off for a few days, I might not get the chance when I go back to work!
Old 08-06-18, 08:29 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Keep going.

We have all been there, well I have. First time on a bike, I went 2 mile and thought I would need a taxi home!

I am now doing over 40 miles, and loving it!

forget about times, speeds and distances....just get on your bike and ride.

Well done, mate!
Old 08-06-18, 01:57 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by breadbin
I went for a spin today around where I live in the countryside and it took about an hour. I can't believe I didn't time it but I was so excited to get out I just went. It was my intention to take it easy as I know I am not fit. I love when I am out cycling but I never do, or rarely do and I think it is because I find it very tough. We all love doing hard things So today, I wanted to go out for a leisurely spin so that maybe I would not find it so tough and I might be more motivated to go out again.

The hills. Jesus the hills are a killer. I was gasping every few minutes. I am not even talking big rollings ascents just little short and steep yokes that are over in a minute but suck the life out of you. About halfway around I decided to stop and take a breather and have a drink of blackcurrant. I nearly vomited. I just felt so sick. Whether my breakfast had not digested properly or what I don't know but I felt rough. I got back on and went again but my heart wasn't in it. I walked up another hill I could have cycled up. I did start to feel a little better when I was nearer home and I started pedalling well again but if anyone saw me. I was in a granny gear limping home.

Still I'm feeling good about it. Maybe 18km was too much for a first cycle but I have to start somewhere. I will definitely try and alternate my routes so that it doesn't get boring but it would be an amazingly beautiful ride if I was a bit fitter! The scenery is class. It is like a little bit of heaven along a country road. I was half thinking of making a video of it too so keep an eye out for that I had intended taking a few ride pics to show it off but I didn't feel in the humour! Next time

edit: added elevation. Now I feel even worse! It's nothing. I need to cycle more.
After 3 years off the first 2 1/2 months were almost agony, But having cycled before i knew where i wanted to get and by when. I have reached my goal of 30 lbs lost and set another goal of an extra 10 to 15 off.. I didnt meet my average mph i set but its still a work in progress.
This is my advice and remember what works for one person may not work for another.
1) Decide on what you want your cycling future to be, wether it's to ride with your family, wether its to ride for fitness, group rides of 30,40 or 50 miles, whatever just so you know which direction your headed.
2) Set realistic goals and then go just a little further. If your goal is 5 miles on Wednesday, you make it to 5 say to yourself, it hurt, it was miserable but I have another quarter or half mile in me.
3)If you set a goal of 10miles and you have to stop 4 times, then so be it. Add only stopping three times the next ride.
4) Try to make it as enjoyable as possible. Add music, a riding partner, whatever it takes
5) Remember you are not everyone else! You can do it however you want. But trust me, you get to the point that you can bust out a enjoyable 20 mile ride and its all worth it.
Old 08-06-18, 02:44 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Congrats on your ride. It will get easier with time, you just have to keep getting out there. Soon you'll be attacking those small hills and making them your *****. When I first started seriously riding, I was tired out after going three miles, and going up this one small rise I thought I was going to die. Now I regularly go up that hill a few times during my morning rides about 14-15 MPH, often in the third chain ring. It's nothing for me to do 40-50 miles or more on a ride, and last year I did my first metric century and even a full century. The only thing holding me back from riding 50 miles a day is this pesky job.
Old 08-06-18, 03:03 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check, ca.2013 Worksman INB, 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Keep getting out there, but switch up your distances as you become accustomed to cycling again. Do a shorter ride on your next outing, say 8-10 km or fewer. When I started up again, I was just doing little 5 mile hops to the market and back and then allowing myself time to do longer rides when I had the time (weekends). The first few rides were just about getting the behind used to the saddle again, the legs and lungs were along for the ride. If you push yourself too much, make sure you rest, too. The most important thing for me is to make it about having fun riding my bicycle, just tootling along at an easy pace is fine if that's all I feel like doing. I ramp it up when I feel like it, too. I like my cycling as recreation with the added benefit of getting some exercise.
Old 08-06-18, 04:58 PM
breadbin

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks guys. I need to keep up the cycling and today I went out again in the beautiful countryside. I did 12km and I actually enjoyed it. I charged a GoPro that I hadn't used in a couple of years. I took a bit of video of the day. The weather was great. I felt great after it and during it although there is one short sharp shock that I had to struggle up. I thought my lungs were going to jump out. I have to make a habit out of it.

I found today and yesterday that I push myself a lot on the bike, I try to take it easy and effortless but I push myself. I am not sure if that is because of the weight or just habit but I am sure it will get easier Maybe not! The one thing I am sort of concerned about is that I am on the granny gear. The smallest chainring. I have a triple crankset so the small one is tiny! I think at this stage it is better to be pedalling than pounding.
Old 08-06-18, 05:35 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
eat less heavy food before your ride and you won't want to vomit when going near your HR red zone.

Try different foods before your ride or even the dinner the night before. It all reflect the type of energy you may have when riding a bike.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-06-18, 06:22 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
The one thing I am sort of concerned about is that I am on the granny gear. The smallest chainring. I have a triple crankset so the small one is tiny! I think at this stage it is better to be pedalling than pounding.
Don't be concerned. Yes spinning the pedals more than mashing them is better, you want to avoid knee injuries as your muscles develop to support the joint. If you keep at it you will get better, it's amazing how much progress you can make at first. My first ride was 5 miles in my neighborhood, no hills to speak of, and I thought I was going to die. Two months later I was up to 20 miles. Aft six months I did my first metric century (and did not feel like I was going to die!).
Old 08-06-18, 11:13 PM
Mark VerMurlen

Bikes: Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar experience 3 months ago when I began cycling again after not cycling for the past 20 years. I live in an area where I can't go anywhere without hitting hills in one direction or the other. I decided that I needed to build up some leg muscles before attempting to ride around my neighborhood again. I purchased a used indoor cycle trainer and began doing indoor training sessions I found on YouTube. Did training sessions 3 or 4 times per week for 4 weeks. It was hard work, but it paid off in greatly improving my fitness level quickly and I lost 10 lbs as well. Now that the weather is nice, I'm out riding in my neighborhood and enjoying the weather and scenery. Still working on improving my fitness.

The advantage of training indoors is that you can easily control the level of effort and duration. You don't have to worry about not being able to get back home. You can push yourself and know you can stop at any point. There's no wasted time either, so you can get a lot of work in in a short period of time. Maybe something for you to think about. The downside is that you're stuck inside which can be boring. Following a YouTube video or something like Zwift to keep your attention can help with that.

Keep at it and improvement will come.

Mark
Old 08-07-18, 04:12 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Thanks guys. I need to keep up the cycling and today I went out again in the beautiful countryside. I did 12km and I actually enjoyed it. I charged a GoPro that I hadn't used in a couple of years. I took a bit of video of the day. The weather was great. I felt great after it and during it although there is one short sharp shock that I had to struggle up. I thought my lungs were going to jump out. I have to make a habit out of it.

I found today and yesterday that I push myself a lot on the bike, I try to take it easy and effortless but I push myself. I am not sure if that is because of the weight or just habit but I am sure it will get easier Maybe not! The one thing I am sort of concerned about is that I am on the granny gear. The smallest chainring. I have a triple crankset so the small one is tiny! I think at this stage it is better to be pedalling than pounding.
Don't concern yourself;lf with what ring you are in or gear....

do what you feel comfortable with. no point in grinding, getting injured or worse, putting you off cycling.

Ask yourself, "Why am I cycling?"

is it to break records?
Is it to go fast?
Is it to claim KOM's?

I am sure your answers will be no, to all of the above. You cycle to get fitter, drop a few pounds....and most of all, enjoyment!

Just get out, enjoy the scenery, wind in your face....and cycle.

Having goals or aims is good. Just don't make them unachievable or you will lose heart.

Keep pedalling, buddy!!!
Old 08-07-18, 06:33 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
The good thing about cycling is it gets easier fast. I struggled to do 2 miles (3.2 KM) when I first started but i worked my way up from there and it got easier. There are still a few hills I cuss though. You are doing great! Keep up the hard work.
Old 08-07-18, 10:22 AM
maletero

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hang in there. I was just thinking about my progress since last October, when I rode outside for the first time in years. Made it 11 miles or so and struggled. This morning I did an easy 19.5 at a faster pace than I could have imagined back then.

It'll come. Keep turning those pedals!
Old 08-07-18, 11:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
we like crappy ride pics as much as good ride pics btw
Old 08-09-18, 09:29 PM
Piperflyer

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You do and will get better over time. When I started cycling I wanted my first 25mile ride. I did it... but it was rough especially from 15-25miles. Stopping every 3-5 miles. Now I can ride 10 miles no breaks pretty easy and after still feel good to keep going. My avg speed is at 13-14mph so I need to bring that up. I would like to do a century but I’m planning that for spring. Next month I’m doing an event ride for 35miles. Oct I want to try 50miles.

Im staying at it so should you! Oh and I’ve lost 25 pounds :-)

when i did my 25 miles I didn’t eat it was 90+ humid Oklahoma mid day. I over did it and was over heated and started get sick. So I’ve been there! Working out wouldn’t be the same without the work