Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

How much is the Raphael Geminiani worth?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 02-19-19, 09:24 PM
Bladejmh2000
sdfsdfdsfgfdgsdfg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

df

Last edited by Bladejmh2000; 01-10-21 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 10:19 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Old 02-20-19, 06:47 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Raphael Geminiani was a famous French professional cyclist of the post war era. Circa 1955 he established his own bicycle brand to provide bicycles for his team. Geminiani are quite rare in N. America and those that do surface are typically a Cizeron product from the eastern industrial region of France.

Based on the lack of braze-ons the subject bicycle is probably no newer than mid-1970s. Based on the presence of chrome stays, it is likely a mid-range model. Given that the OP wants a single and assuming that they like the style, it is easily worth the asking price, with some caveats. First is the size. This is a very tall frame and too big for the current owner based on the saddle height. It's probably appropriate for someone around 6'0". Second, it is old enough that all the threading and component sizing will be the metric standard, which limits parts availability. Finally, and most importantly, it has a suspiciously steep head tube and the front tyre is very close to the down tube. Often, this is indicative of a front end crash but the picture resolution is insufficient to tell if this is the case.
Old 02-20-19, 10:45 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladejmh2000
Thanks! Seems like you did get quite a bit from that picture. Its interesting that this appears to be a mid-range model, might make me bite the bullet soon. Seeing that he converted it himself may mean newer parts already in place which im entirely ok with, i'd just need to find a suitable saddle. Im 5'10 and a half. Veering very close to 5'11.

Here are a few more images I snagged from the post one including the front end of the bike
im gur com / Raz tnO 8
im gur com /a / IB2v XL Q
(again remove spaces and add a period this time. I had to add a few more because it keeps stopping me from posting. I believe that should be able to post links and images after this)
You should reread T-Mar's post starting at "Finally and most importantly." He's hinting that most experienced bike riders would look very closely at the (likely) damaged frame before considering the bike further. The steep head angle and small amount of clearance between the front tire and the down tube suggest that the bike took a hard front hit. There are plenty of bikes out there that aren't damaged in that way.
Old 02-20-19, 11:13 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender

What mine looks like in comparison. Note the blue one looks like the stem is dangerously high.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 02-20-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 11:52 AM
Mr. 66

Here's one on eBay, I like the racks on this.
Old 02-20-19, 01:00 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66

Here's one on eBay, I like the racks on this.
That one shows the offset headtube like the op picture. I'm thinking the frame is OK.
Old 02-20-19, 03:39 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
While the green and light blue Geminiani's both show steep head tubes, both appear to have more clearance between the front tyre and down tube. While there's no visible distortion in the additional photos, there's also a decal placed over where the paint would show cracks or flaking. I'm still not convinced it isn't bent but I'd have to see it in person.

Looks like it has Reynolds 531 decals. Dropouts appear to be stamped but seat cluster workmanship and post size still make it look at least mid-range.
Old 02-20-19, 08:15 PM
Bladejmh2000
sdfsdfdsfgfdgsdfg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Raphael Geminiani was a famous French professional cyclist of the post war era. Circa 1955 he established his own bicycle brand to provide bicycles for his team. Geminiani are quite rare in N. America and those that do surface are typically a Cizeron product from the eastern industrial region of France.

Based on the lack of braze-ons the subject bicycle is probably no newer than mid-1970s. Based on the presence of chrome stays, it is likely a mid-range model. Given that the OP wants a single and assuming that they like the style, it is easily worth the asking price, with some caveats. First is the size. This is a very tall frame and too big for the current owner based on the saddle height. It's probably appropriate for someone around 6'0". Second, it is old enough that all the threading and component sizing will be the metric standard, which limits parts availability. Finally, and most importantly, it has a suspiciously steep head tube and the front tyre is very close to the down tube. Often, this is indicative of a front end crash but the picture resolution is insufficient to tell if this is the case.
Originally Posted by T-Mar
While the green and light blue Geminiani's both show steep head tubes, both appear to have more clearance between the front tyre and down tube. While there's no visible distortion in the additional photos, there's also a decal placed over where the paint would show cracks or flaking. I'm still not convinced it isn't bent but I'd have to see it in person.

Looks like it has Reynolds 531 decals. Dropouts appear to be stamped but seat cluster workmanship and post size still make it look at least mid-range.
Hi T-Mar I appreciate you looking into it, after a quick search I agree with the Reynolds 531 decals. I'm planning on checking out the bike this saturday but being a complete novice i'm not sure I can identify any frame damage by site. Here's a few pictures from an older listing that shows a bit more of the front tire clearance, some of the pictures are harder to see because its behind another bike... it seems like hes also selling a "female" model of the bike in the same color and I'm guessing same year. Thanks so much!

Last edited by Bladejmh2000; 02-20-19 at 08:16 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-20-19, 09:56 PM
Mr. 66

Something that could visually be at play is the seat tube is likely at 75'. The women bike looks pretty nice, get that if the other craps out.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 02-20-19 at 10:00 PM.