Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Blackish TV show: swerve towards cyclists to scare em

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Blackish TV show: swerve towards cyclists to scare em

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19, 10:53 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Some folks probably shouldn't watch South Park.
Old 04-12-19, 05:17 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
People actually swerving towards cyclists seems pretty rare to me, even with some making jokes about it. One can joke about stuff they'd never do or endorse. Had I seen the show I probably would have laughed.

Originally Posted by Rick
Minus the political leftest propaganda please.
Describing an event as it actually happened is not propaganda.
Old 04-12-19, 05:54 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Of course you are free to feel offended, just as the show writers are free to write jokes/dialog that many might consider funny.

What is getting lost here is nuance. Reductio ad adsurdum is not your friend when looking at comedy. Yes, taken to an extreme, the comment could be taken as an incitement to violence against cyclists, but (a) that was not the intent, and (b) unless a person is seriously disturbed they would not take the comment as such. And if they are so disturbed, it is not likely that they would need this bit to push them over the edge. I can understand that someone who lost a loved one or close friend to a cycling accident might not be amused, but that is a tiny fraction of the audience, and if you write comedy that offends absolutely no one you get ... (whatever the comedic equivalent of muzak is).

The stereotypical cyclist is upper middle class, middle aged, white, male, self-important, funny looking and walks like a duck on skates. Rich ground for comedy, you must admit.

(I'm not sayin' how many of those boxes I check.)

------------
Old 04-12-19, 06:00 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

― Mel Brooks
Old 04-12-19, 07:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
People actually swerving towards cyclists seems pretty rare to me, even with some making jokes about it. One can joke about stuff they'd never do or endorse. Had I seen the show I probably would have laughed.
I think the idea that the show was promoting this is pretty silly, but I have had the swerving thing occur several times in the last year. It's always from behind, so by the time I realize it's happened, it's over. Doesn't even faze me at this point.

It generally happens on wide state highways with big shoulders, and it's almost always a pickup truck.. It's clear they did it intentionally because they're well over the white line when they pass me and then they move back into the traffic lane immediately.
Old 04-12-19, 07:21 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
If the 'cyclist' is your typical MAMIL, I get it. It's easy to poke fun at this creature. Heck, I could be one of them. I don't mind the jab.

If cyclist is anyone who rides a bike--old man/woman carrying grocery bags over handlebar, teenager with backpack riding school, homeless many carrying his wares in panniers, commuter in a long skirt riding a mixte, then no, not even remotely funny to 'swerve at them to scare them.'. Downright moronic, actually.
Old 04-12-19, 07:35 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Very few motorists of the many that I've encountered, would do a deliberate swerve towards me, with more motorists opting for a high speed close passing maneuver.
Old 04-12-19, 07:44 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
James Bond movie chase scene. This is when I knew 100% it was "Me against Them". At 01:02 the movie house audience roared with laughter. I have never kid myself about motorists vs. bicycles since that moment.

Enjoy!

Video might start at 1:02 so you might want to rewind about 20 seconds for the full effect.

https://youtu.be/YS9tCEBFDfs?t=62

I would have enjoyed a more realistic approach. About 20 cyclists chase him down the mountain and steal his girlfriend.
Was the audience laughing at the near miss, which clearly was not to threaten, or the "keystone cop" reaction by the cyclists falling like dominoes?
Old 04-12-19, 07:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Very few motorists of the many that I've encountered, would do a deliberate swerve towards me, with more motorists opting for a high speed close passing maneuver.
I suspect a lot of this difference in experience is regional variation.
I can pretty much tick off the roads where I expect the swerves. They are all semi-rural The riding there is otherwise too good to let myself get deterred by a very small number of jerks.

High speed close passes happen because the driver is careless, and I experience those too. The swerves are clearly people going out of their way for some reason.
Old 04-12-19, 08:15 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
It is indeed extremely rare. It only happened once to me back in the 70s.
I was lucky to survive the collision, bouncing down the road,
& landing in the ditch. Praise be to helmets, eh.
I don't watch "Blackish", but now it's on my sublithic coprolite list.
Old 04-12-19, 08:17 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I suspect a lot of this difference in experience is regional variation.
I can pretty much tick off the roads where I expect the swerves. They are all semi-rural The riding there is otherwise too good to let myself get deterred by a very small number of jerks.

High speed close passes happen because the driver is careless, and I experience those too. The swerves are clearly people going out of their way for some reason.
From my regional experience, the local motorists use the high speed pass in their thinking that I would not be able to get any viable information on them, that was the case before I installed video cameras on my bike. I had one motorist do a high speed pass while I was riding in a gutter bike lane, and with their vehicle's right side tires just over the white line, all this done at a 40 mph speed "difference". At the time of that particular pass, I had front and rear cameras, and when I reviewed the video, I could clearly see the motorist maintain their lane, then accelerate, looking directly at me through their windshield while drifting over, then see the motorist's face looking at me in their side mirror after the pass, and continuing to accelerate away, and go back to maintaining their lane at well over the speed limit.

I have had other similar incidents with motorists , in their "lining up" their vehicle, and then accelerate to make a close pass.
Old 04-12-19, 09:07 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Was the audience laughing at the near miss, which clearly was not to threaten, or the "keystone cop" reaction by the cyclists falling like dominoes?
The audience, IMO, was laughing at a motorist, driving like an @$$, "causing" a group of roadies to fall down. Had he caused a group of children to fall off their bikes in a playground, the exact same way, would it have been so funny to the audience? It was funny because they LOATHE cyclists clogging up the road AND especially "goofballs" in race kits acting like they own the road (which the do legally).

Ask yourself: what other group of people, ethnically speaking, would it have been "funny" in a James Bond movie (not a comedy) to cause a low-speed crash? What skin color of person or religion or club? This is because, IMO again, that those cyclists are "aliens from outer space" to most "normal" people and they are hated on some level. Therefore, it was hilarious to see them "get theirs".

These are my feelings of course. I did not conduct an exit poll upon leaving the theater. AND...there is a YouTube video of THAT SCENE to immortalize it!

Thankfully, there are only 900 views, zero comments, and 7 thumbs up, 0 thumbs down.
Old 04-12-19, 09:13 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've tried to watch the show on several occasions because I though the concept would be funny. It is by far the most openly racist show against White people I have ever seen with the main, male character (the husband) often going off on an anti White rant at the beginning of the show. I thought maybe it was an isolated incident, but I have watched several other episodes where the same thing happens.

Now they are against cyclists too??? NO THANKS.
Old 04-12-19, 09:47 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
The audience, IMO, was laughing at a motorist, driving like an @$$, "causing" a group of roadies to fall down. Had he caused a group of children to fall off their bikes in a playground, the exact same way, would it have been so funny to the audience? It was funny because they LOATHE cyclists clogging up the road AND especially "goofballs" in race kits acting like they own the road (which the do legally).

Ask yourself: what other group of people, ethnically speaking, would it have been "funny" in a James Bond movie (not a comedy) to cause a low-speed crash? What skin color of person or religion or club? This is because, IMO again, that those cyclists are "aliens from outer space" to most "normal" people and they are hated on some level. Therefore, it was hilarious to see them "get theirs".

These are my feelings of course. I did not conduct an exit poll upon leaving the theater. AND...there is a YouTube video of THAT SCENE to immortalize it!

Thankfully, there are only 900 views, zero comments, and 7 thumbs up, 0 thumbs down.
Go back and watch your clip again... I certainly did not see it as you did.

I saw the chase scene, and yes, the drivers took their eyes off the road... "hollywood!" I saw cyclists climbing the hill... in a tight peloton. I saw the cyclists watch the approaching motorists, and the next scene showed cyclists standing vice riding... and the motorists in the other lane. The cyclists watch the motorists pass and as the lead cyclist turns his head, he falls and dominos the other riders... I saw a "slapstick human domino" scene... I saw no intention by the drivers to threaten or scare the cyclists. I did see motorists acting stupid on the road... but not aggressively toward the cyclists... in any form.

And I cannot believe I am defending motorists behaving badly... but there was no aggression toward the cyclists... none, and it was not portrayed that way at all. Others in this thread saw it just as I did.
Old 04-12-19, 09:53 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Revoltingest
It is indeed extremely rare. It only happened once to me back in the 70s.
I was lucky to survive the collision, bouncing down the road,
& landing in the ditch. Praise be to helmets, eh.
I don't watch "Blackish", but now it's on my sublithic coprolite list.
Heck, I've had it happen... I've had things thrown at me, I've had passengers reach toward me... all clearly an act of aggression... but indeed it is rare... more often I have experienced near misses by folks that are just unaware and clueless. They don't see you... they look right through you. You are in Casper mode... you are a ghost that only folks that believe in you can see.

The unaware and clueless bother me the most. They don't know we are there... and that happens too often. The aggressive motorists... yeah, they tick me off... but that is a rare event. And when someone honks... hell, it must be "someone I know..." Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.
Old 04-12-19, 10:31 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,645 Posts
closing per request