Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ridiculous things you've taken on your bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 12:46 PM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts

Based on what made me probably the most well known cyclist of the day between the hague and rotterdam for my ridiculous cargo, i'd liek t see the crazy, ridiculuos, or just dumb stuff you have brought on your bikes.

this was unplanned and is for an anniversary collection of a local gallery, while visiting to drop things off was asked if i wanted to participate. rode with this for about 30 km back home

Old 04-14-19, 12:57 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Nice! that's pretty up there on the comment-worthy (though if you had the whole mannequin somehow got it on a tandem...)

Worst I ever did personally was a computer terminal in college days - it fit in the milk-crate like thing I had, but was heavy enough to make for awkward handling. Then there was the time I went grocery shopping and a box of dried linguini noodles ended up vertical - after enough bumps the end of the box failed and they started falling out through the mesh of the crate.

The other day I saw a guy on the bike path with a rolling office chair on the bars of a share bike.

But this video that has been making the rounds probably takes the cake:
Old 04-14-19, 01:42 PM
phile

i've seen fridge commuter, that guy is just amazing. i saw a guy with a one of those picnic tables with integrated bench that fold up on a plain old dutch bike. i was impressed
Old 04-14-19, 01:51 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
With a messenger bag, no trailer: bike wheels, wire bead bike tires, 24 roll packs of toilet paper, brooms, 2x 2.5 gallon water jugs

With a trailer: room air conditioner, patio paving blocks, end table/cabinet, 2x10 lumber, multiple jugs of cat litter, gardening soil, bags of red mulch, blueberry bushes
Old 04-14-19, 02:06 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Last week my Silca Tattico onboard pump broke while in use. So for a few days I rode with a floor pump on the rear rack.
Old 04-14-19, 02:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Many years ago I brought home a rectangular plate of 1/4" aluminum. 4' X 1.8". ~27 pounds. (6061). Strapped it along the diamond, from the headset back and along the top tube. I only had full steering in one direction. That sheet became the centerboard of the sailboat I raced. Biggest go-fast improvement the boat saw.

Ben
Old 04-14-19, 04:26 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,392 Times in 2,055 Posts
A couple of weber gas grill cast iron grates (30 lb?) from a roadside discard to replace my burning out steel ones. That was on the commute home so I had a full pannier too. Made slow speed maneuvering interesting.
Old 04-14-19, 04:31 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Riding home recently I came across an old receiver that weighed in at (barely liftable) 78lbs. Although I couldn't ride, I rested it on my old Nishiki's handlebars and wheeled it home where it's currently being restored.
Old 04-14-19, 08:48 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I found a sleeping bag road-side that had blown off a truck- stuffed in in my jersey. Very Santa Claus-like.

Have carried a bike strapped to a small backpack.
Old 04-14-19, 08:55 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Microwave oven once, not all that crazy but that's all I've got.
Old 04-14-19, 08:58 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I hauled a drill press once in a trailer behind my bike.
Old 04-14-19, 10:34 PM
DimplePimple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
27" CRT TV. That was tough.
Old 04-15-19, 06:08 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Me
Old 04-15-19, 06:11 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Years ago, I lived in Cozumel,Mexico. As everyone knows, you don;t drink the (non-purified) water in Mexico, so everyone buys those big 5 gallon, plastic jugs of purified water. Well, I used to buy my water from a little bodega a few blocks from my apartment, and I would toss that thing up on one shoulder, holding the mouth of it with one hand, and my handlebar with the other. It was ALWAYS a difficult and precarious ride back home, especially taking corners, braking, and/or getting off the bike.
I've also ridden with a scuba tank over a shoulder, which was about as much fun.
Old 04-15-19, 06:14 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Well, while stationed in Germany back in the mid 80's I used my Peugeot (model unknown) more than my BMW 2000 ti.

Probably the craziest thing was a large component stereo setup from the PX to my barracks across town. Had to take it piece by piece on the rear rack with creative tie downs. That bike took me all over southern Germany, man do I miss it and those days.
Old 04-15-19, 06:14 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A bike.
Old 04-15-19, 06:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
In 2003, I rode the Paris-Brest-Paris ... so I'll blame this on fatigue.

I cycled into Brest and I think I ended up just going to the brevet sign-in area which didn't have much food. Some of my friends appeared then, so I left with them, however about 10 km down the road, I was very hungry so I asked to stop at a small supermarket.

A couple of us went in to get something. I found a sandwich but wanted something else. On a whim, I grabbed a block of Swiss cheese. I don't particularly like Swiss cheese. I have no idea why I chose it.

About 10 km down the road, one of our group flatted, and so I ate the sandwich, but didn't have time to eat the cheese.

And then we got into a great paceline ... and into a rhythm ... and I forgot about the cheese.

When I remembered it, it became like a mascot for me.

My handlebar bag attachment piece broke and I had to offload just about everything into my trunk bag, or throw things out. The only thing holding my handlebar bag on was a small bungie cord which looked like it could give out at any time. I could have thrown out the cheese ... probably should have. But it took pride of place in the handlebar bag!! Just about the only thing in there until right near the end.

The day after I finished the ride, when I was cleaning everything out, there was the cheese. It had accompanied me for the last half of the ride. I threw it out then because I was finished ... I no longer needed to carry it with me.
Old 04-15-19, 06:58 AM
phile

Originally Posted by Machka
In 2003, I rode the Paris-Brest-Paris ... so I'll blame this on fatigue.

I cycled into Brest and I think I ended up just going to the brevet sign-in area which didn't have much food. Some of my friends appeared then, so I left with them, however about 10 km down the road, I was very hungry so I asked to stop at a small supermarket.

A couple of us went in to get something. I found a sandwich but wanted something else. On a whim, I grabbed a block of Swiss cheese. I don't particularly like Swiss cheese. I have no idea why I chose it.

About 10 km down the road, one of our group flatted, and so I ate the sandwich, but didn't have time to eat the cheese.

And then we got into a great paceline ... and into a rhythm ... and I forgot about the cheese.

When I remembered it, it became like a mascot for me.

My handlebar bag attachment piece broke and I had to offload just about everything into my trunk bag, or throw things out. The only thing holding my handlebar bag on was a small bungie cord which looked like it could give out at any time. I could have thrown out the cheese ... probably should have. But it took pride of place in the handlebar bag!! Just about the only thing in there until right near the end.

The day after I finished the ride, when I was cleaning everything out, there was the cheese. It had accompanied me for the last half of the ride. I threw it out then because I was finished ... I no longer needed to carry it with me.
this sounds like a weirdly epic tale.
Old 04-15-19, 07:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Two large bundles of firewood while touring. More than once. Picture to follow this evening.
Old 04-15-19, 08:02 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Fruit bearing Meyer Lemon citrus tree in front handle bar basket. 10' long piece of 4" PVC.
Old 04-15-19, 09:09 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I strapped a garbage disposal from Home Depot to the trunk rack of mine once. That's the wildest thing I'd ever hauled.

I thought that might be in the running when I saw the thread....until I saw the OP's picture. Now a garbage disposal sounds normal.
Old 04-15-19, 09:25 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Dorm sized fridge. Bolted a small piece of plywood to my Delta rack and strapped the small fridge on top. I didn't realize how much wider I was and clipped a side view mirror before I even got out of the driveway, but nothing got damaged. When you're young and broke you figure it out or go without!

-Kedosto
Old 04-15-19, 09:40 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
Based on what made me probably the most well known cyclist of the day between the hague and rotterdam for my ridiculous cargo, i'd liek t see the crazy, ridiculuos, or just dumb stuff you have brought on your bikes.

this was unplanned and is for an anniversary collection of a local gallery, while visiting to drop things off was asked if i wanted to participate. rode with this for about 30 km back home

your pic is a work of art. I say keep the statue on your bike and post pics with it in various locations. Much better than a gnome.

Old 04-15-19, 10:08 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
It's not me, but I saw this guy last year on my way home:

Old 04-15-19, 10:30 AM
phile

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I strapped a garbage disposal from Home Depot to the trunk rack of mine once. That's the wildest thing I'd ever hauled.

I thought that might be in the running when I saw the thread....until I saw the OP's picture. Now a garbage disposal sounds normal.
my life is a series of ridiculous circumstances

Originally Posted by hillyman
your pic is a work of art. I say keep the statue on your bike and post pics with it in various locations. Much better than a gnome.
that mannequin has gotta be painted for a gallery show next month, so no can do travelling around with it. i did think about finding a way to have a lil hula girl though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.