Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Must haves?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Must haves?

Old 05-17-19, 09:58 PM
7Shifty
7Shifty

Bikes: Peugeot PX10 I Fuji Feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Must haves?

Do you guys have any must haves when you're commuting? I know the basics but is there some that you bring that's a game changer?
Old 05-17-19, 10:03 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The only must-have game changer is stashing a spare set of clothes at work, permanently. I always need it eventually.

Everything extra that I have on my bike, or carry with me, or equiped on the bike, is there for a pretty good reason but certainly not a game changer. Convenience, comfort. I ride the other bike 1/3 of the time, with none of it.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 05-18-19, 07:42 AM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm retired now, but I found a bike rain cape to be a must-have. I had tried various rain gear before the cape, and I would always sweat so much when wearing it that I got just as wet with as without. But a cape lets you stay cool and (more or less) dry at the same time. I never found rain pants that weren't too hot, so I would get wet below the knees when it poured, but otherwise the rain cape was the bee's knees, as my grand daddy used to say.
Likes For tclune:
Old 05-18-19, 07:48 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
  1. A bike.
  2. Method to fix a flat / inflate / be willing to walk if you have problem
  3. Way to carry what you need (pocket/pannier/backpack/saddlebag/trailer.
If you want to ride in the rain and don't like to get soaked, fenders and rain gear.
Old 05-18-19, 08:03 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
  1. A bike.
Lots of places you don’t even need that any more if you can get a city or dockless share bike.

but in the spirit of this thread, lights are what brought me to year round riding and not an occasional lark.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-18-19, 08:31 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by tclune
I'm retired now, but I found a bike rain cape to be a must-have. I had tried various rain gear before the cape, and I would always sweat so much when wearing it that I got just as wet with as without. But a cape lets you stay cool and (more or less) dry at the same time. I never found rain pants that weren't too hot, so I would get wet below the knees when it poured, but otherwise the rain cape was the bee's knees, as my grand daddy used to say.
This. Exactly.
Old 05-18-19, 08:37 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by 7Shifty
Do you guys have any must haves when you're commuting? I know the basics but is there some that you bring that's a game changer?
In no particular order: A glasses-mounted mirror. An AirZound airhorn. And a change of clothes (and shoes) either kept at work or carried with. Lights. Fenders, especially a long one in the front with a pliable flap near the ground. Studded Snow tires in the winter, and a rain cape (see above).
Old 05-18-19, 10:01 AM
Hub Spanner

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2014 Raleigh Sojourn, et al

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A “Plan B” for getting to work

This Plan B will be different for almost everyone, but you WILL find your bike unridable some morning...
Likes For Hub Spanner:
Old 05-18-19, 12:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The only must haves are a bicycle. There are no must have accessories. Everything else needs to be selected based upon the persons personal preferences, their needs and their riding style.
Old 05-18-19, 03:00 PM
Twosheds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
spare tube and c02 to inflate are my only must haves! Nothing worse than being beeped at by your work buddies as you walk a flat the rest of the way to work...
Likes For Twosheds:
Old 05-18-19, 04:24 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by tclune
I fear this much as well. I've tried various combinations, but when it is a consistent, steady rain, my feet are going to get wet. I haven't used a cape, and probably won't. I will just have to live with what I have.
Old 05-18-19, 04:54 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A destination, hopefully pleasant.

Everything else is situational, even stuff for repairs. My commute is 4 miles, so my worst case scenario is walking 2 miles. I wear rain gear if it's actually raining when I leave for work, otherwise I usually risk it, depending on the forecast. I might also ride in my flip flops and carry my shoes in a plastic bag.
Old 05-18-19, 08:52 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...9-mirrors.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ing-music.html
Old 05-18-19, 09:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Gumption
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-19-19, 04:57 PM
blackieoneshot 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
A pair of disposable latex gloves. They only weigh a few grams and don't take up much space, but it sure makes a difference when changing a rear flat.
Likes For blackieoneshot:
Old 05-19-19, 06:53 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I fear this much as well. I've tried various combinations, but when it is a consistent, steady rain, my feet are going to get wet. I haven't used a cape, and probably won't. I will just have to live with what I have.
If it's Summer and I know it's going to rain, instead of my SPD shoes, I'll wear my SPD sandals. That way, I don't have to dry my shoes for the ride next morning... If it's Spring or Fall, I'll use my shoe covers which does help quite a lot. For just a small drizzle or wet roads, I'll wear shoe caps so my shoes doesn't get wet (or barely).
Old 05-19-19, 06:54 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
The only must-have game changer is stashing a spare set of clothes at work, permanently. I always need it eventually.

Everything extra that I have on my bike, or carry with me, or equiped on the bike, is there for a pretty good reason but certainly not a game changer. Convenience, comfort. I ride the other bike 1/3 of the time, with none of it.
AND A PAIR OF UNDERWEAR! Few times I got to work only to find out I forgot to stash a underwear in my bag Being commando under dress pants is... special.
Likes For SylvainG:
Old 05-19-19, 09:25 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
For me the must-haves are:
  • A bike
  • A rack & pannier
  • A spare tube, and a pump, because even though it's only four and a quarter miles, that's farther than I would care to walk at the end of the day.
  • A helmet.
  • A tail light.
Optional items that I prefer to have with me:
  • A headlight. I never commute (to or from work) after dark but its flasher mode makes me more visible.
  • A bike computer because I like to keep track of mileage.
  • Gloves
  • Change of clothes.

In the winter I also mount fenders, but I remove them as the weather becomes more reliable.
I also use the bike for trips to the store, which can happen after dark. In those cases the front and rear light become mandatory, and my bottle blinky (side light) is the optional accessory that I much prefer having, for safety's sake. I do carry a multi-tool that I never need.

A lock would be on my list, but I leave mine at work.

I am a fair weather commuter. If it's raining I take the car to the light rail station. If it's clear, I take the bike.
Old 05-19-19, 10:31 PM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blackieoneshot
A pair of disposable latex gloves. They only weigh a few grams and don't take up much space, but it sure makes a difference when changing a rear flat.
I have been thankful that I found even 1 latex glove in my bag on more than one occasion. I also always keep a handkerchief with me to for dust or keep sun off my neck. I have used the handkerchief to wipe my hands (when I couldn't find a latex glove) and also to bandage another rider that had a bad fall.
Old 05-20-19, 04:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Must haves?
Originally Posted by 7Shifty
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Gumption
Indeed, @rumrunn6. In particular apropos of the title of this present thread, I have previously posted,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Extreme condition challenges--winter

...My watchword for Winter is “Gear and Gumption.”
From a different perspective on "must haves," I have also posted to this thread, "Bicycling or not, what items do you take with you that you never leave home without?
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Don't a lot of these things go without saying for the vast majority of people? Clothing (a jacket is clothing, too), footwear, keys, money, ID, cell phone etc.

It's probably more interesting to ask what non-standard things do people always have with them…It could also be interesting to ask which typically standard things do people usually NOT carry?.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I have a flat mesh black bag, about 8 x 6 x 3 inches I call my “clutch bag” with some of my non-standard items I take everywhere, including bike rides:

• Nailclipper, I hate hangnails
  • Callus cushions and tape for a callus over my fourth right metatarsal bone; occasionally hurts walking or pedaling
  • Extra pair of eyeglasses with lens wipes and lens cleaner because I am so nearsighted. I was in a couple of bike crashes, and glasses got bent.
  • Mints for dry mouth
  • Hairbrush especially for helmet hair. I wear gel, and HH easily brushes out
I used to compulsively carry Chapstick after one windy ride long ago, but gave it up after a few years.
Washington Post
Sunday, December 14, 2008

Let's make a list of the important things you need before walking out the door: Wallet: Check. Cellphone: Check. Keys: Check. Lip balm?
You slap your back pocket. Nope. Rummage through your bag. Nada. Search the bedside table. Negative.

This is a problem. A huge, paralyzing problem. You are a lip balm addict, after all. And you are not alone.
Countless Facebook groups are dedicated to the "crackstick" in all its varieties: ChapStick, Blistex, Burt's Bees, Carmex. Any lip lubricant that comes in a tube or a tub.

There are online quizzes that measure how addicted you are to ChapStick. (Question: When you are wearing only a bathing suit, do you have ChapStick on you at all times?) And there is a self-help Web site, Lip Balm Anonymous (Lip Balm Anonymous), dedicated to helping lip balm addicts.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-25-19 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-20-19, 08:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Game Changer?

Game changer to me means something that gives a distinct advantage over the "old way" of doing something. A competitive advantage in sports. An efficiency leap in accomplishing some task.

So, I'd say that, apart from the wealth of common sense given in the thread above, the game changing item(s) have been (for me):

- a bicycle cover that keeps the rubber/shifter hoods/saddle/tires out of the sunlight and sheds light rain. XPORT is the branding. Works wonders.

- prepositioning a stout chain and lock at work, so that I only must carry the key

- keeping a full sized floor pump in my office at work, for inevitable tire repairs before the ride home

- carrying the Pedro's tire bead jack in my panniers for those impossible to mount Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, in the rare event that I have to remove one and remount it. This was necessitated recently when I had a spoke broken at work and needed to replace a spoke nipple. The Schwalbe tire needed to come off first. Ugh.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-20-19, 11:10 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
AND A PAIR OF UNDERWEAR! Few times I got to work only to find out I forgot to stash a underwear in my bag Being commando under dress pants is... special.
Yep, skin-out change of clothes. I keep socks, belt and shoes even, in a file cabinet at my desk. It's rare nowadays but still happens that I forget something and when I do it could be anything.
Old 05-20-19, 11:14 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Game changer to me means something that gives a distinct advantage over the "old way" of doing something. A competitive advantage in sports. An efficiency leap in accomplishing some task.
Apropos of nothing, just want to blather... Back in college lo some 20 years ago I used to fly model sailplanes. Hand Launch Glider was my favorite event, the wingspan limit was a tiny 59" or 1.5M depending on continent, and lots of them were smaller. They were made of balsa sticks and heat shrink plastic, and thrown javelin style. Someone came up with the idea of gripping the wing tip, and then shortly after that putting a peg through the wing spar near the wing tip, and throwing them discus style. Really more hammer-toss, but discus is the name that stuck. This about doubled the launch height overnight and also allowed the plane to be caught and re-launched in a second, which is important for some timed events. The two enabling technologies were carbon fiber wing spars (for the strength) and computer radios (to have multiple trim settings), both of which had already been around for 10+ years but never combined in this way for this event. Free flight hand launch gliders are much smaller, like 20-24" wing span, and still launched like darts, and that is very ripe for the same revolution.

(not my photo, found on internet)
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-20-19 at 11:34 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-20-19, 11:26 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by jskita
I also always keep a handkerchief with me to for dust or keep sun off my neck. I have used the handkerchief to wipe my hands (when I couldn't find a latex glove) and also to bandage another rider that had a bad fall.
I always ride with a bandana. It's like a mini towel, and you should always know where your towel (or bandana) is.
Old 05-20-19, 11:36 AM
jetta_mike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Originally Posted by Korina
I always ride with a bandana. It's like a mini towel, and you should always know where your towel (or bandana) is.
As someone who lives/rides/works in the Pacific North WET i feel that there is no way to truly stay dry. You're either going to get wet from the outside or the inside. I've always dressed for warmth (ie wool/polypro) and just accepted the fact that I'll be soaked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.