Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Memorial Day Weekend tour

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 09:36 AM
spacemaniss

Bikes: Fuji Jari, GT Avalanche, Trek T200 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am looking for 40-50 mile route in Michigan LP to ride this coming weekend. Preferably with camping spots available in either terminus. So far looking at Grand Rapids to Muskegon in one day, with camping at Muskegon before heading back next day. The weather does not seem to be very cooperative, that's why I am looking for other potential routes, where weather might be without rain. Thanks!
Old 05-23-19, 01:37 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Saturday the 25th is our annual club ride from Dewitt to Alma. It's just a one-day club ride, not a tour. There isn't any camping at either end. If you turn around at Maple Rapids it's 56 miles, stopping at Middleton makes the round trip 70 miles, and all the way to Alma and back is a century. Weather permitting, there is always at least a few doing each option.
https://www.biketcba.org/content.asp...tem_id=1019364

Like you said, the weather may not cooperate. BlazingPedals doesn't like to ride in the rain.

Edit: I think if you ride all the way to Alma, there is camping at the fairgrounds for a return trip on Sunday. Memorial weekend is the Highlands Festival in Alma, which was the original impetus for the ride. Now that we're all older, very few do the entire century.
Old 05-24-19, 06:53 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
The bike path from GR to Muskegon is flat and sometimes yields a bit of fun with the deer that run alongside you. Best ridden in full on attack mode or with a buddy that can carry a conversation. Rain is the prediction all weekend here as it is most Memorial Day weekends in this area. Weathermen have been known to be wrong, and hopefully they are this time around!
Old 05-26-19, 08:54 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
the further north you go, the less chance of rain..
I'm stuck working, so there's that..

kinda late now, but just FYI..

There is Van Buren State Park, just south of South Haven.. and then east to Kalamazoo on the Kal Haven Trail (mainly gravel), then by picking up the KRVT (mostly paved) at the west end of downtown, you can roll all the way to Ft. Custer State Rec Area.. camping both spots..
Park to park, you'd be about 60 miles.
Five minuted ride north of the trail system, there is Markin Glen Park (City of Kalamazoo) that has mtb trails..
South Haven has a pump track (North end of town by the Wal Mart), and Ft. Custer has mtb trails (Ft Custer & Kalamazoo trails maintained by West Michigan Mtn Bike Assoc)

Last edited by JLDickmon; 05-26-19 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 01:53 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by spacemaniss
I am looking for 40-50 mile route in Michigan LP to ride this coming weekend. Preferably with camping spots available in either terminus. So far looking at Grand Rapids to Muskegon in one day, with camping at Muskegon before heading back next day. The weather does not seem to be very cooperative, that's why I am looking for other potential routes, where weather might be without rain. Thanks!

where did you end up going?
Old 06-12-19, 03:15 PM
spacemaniss

Bikes: Fuji Jari, GT Avalanche, Trek T200 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
where did you end up going?
The weather forecast was changing way too much and we ended up with a short local ride on Monday. We rode Maumee river towpath trail from Waterville OH to Grand Rapids OH.