Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Jeans' blowing out the crotch

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 05-20-19, 11:14 AM
trailz 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

It takes a while, but it eventually happens. My jeans, Levi 514 (I think) are getting the typical pattern of holes near the crotch stitching that comes from bike riding. I need to either patch the crotch or replace the pair. Given the fabric is getting soft and thin in the area, patching seems unrealistic.

What pair of jeans have you had good luck with holding together for bike riding? Hopefully, some budget-conscious options come up.
Old 05-22-19, 04:28 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
https://www.gusset.com
Old 05-22-19, 02:50 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Levis are garbage now. Anything but Levis will do.

I don't believe the CEO thinks you should actually WASH them.

Last edited by Rollfast; 05-22-19 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 05:07 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
I'm a bit overweight and I never bike in jeans as they are way too hot and sweaty. Plus I find them stiff and that they restrict movement.
I actually think it is more "budget conscious" to get sports clothing designed for cycling, or even some casual clothes that are specifically designed for cycling eg. https://hiconsumption.com/2015/09/be...commute-pants/, because they won't wear out as fast.
Old 05-25-19, 02:23 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Jeans will inevitably wear out in areas with a lot of contact. Ones with a tiny bit of spandex will flex a bit more, which can promote longer life.
Old 05-26-19, 07:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

I go to Bi-Mart and get Key or Rustler. I wear a pair of polyesther slacks cut and sewed as shorts most the of the good weather season anyway.
Old 05-26-19, 09:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
sweatpants , unlike woven denim, the knit fabric gives .. Polyester really long wearing ...

Old and fat, not young and slim ..
Old 05-31-19, 03:43 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I reinforce jeans with a layer of fabric on the inside, and zigzag stitch around the edges. Machine darning, basically just sewing lines across the worn areas and into less worn fabric nearby, can help hold things together for a little while longer. Or you can do the same thing by hand, like the Japanese sashiko mending/quilting technique.

Check out some of the YouTube videos on visible mending too - that's having quite a moment in the sewing and textile world.
Old 06-27-19, 12:32 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I used Levi Commuter jeans for a long time and they hold up well. They are also stretchy and have reflective cuffs which is nice but even they eventually wear through and Levis does not stand behind their products.

These days, I buy from brands like Prana, North Face, Patagonia, or other hiking brands that make normal looking clothes. These tend to be better made, last longer, more stretchy, and better breathing. They can also be more expensive but if you wait for what you want to popup on Steep and Cheap, such as these Prana Jeans on sale for $39 right now, then it's very affordable. https://www.steepandcheap.com/prana-...NhdDExMDAwMjY= Also, these brands stand behind their product so if/when the crotch does wear out, I return them and get a brand new pair with no questions asked. Rei is a good place to try on the brands as well if you have one near you.
Likes For zeppinger:
Old 07-03-19, 10:47 AM
Gromax
Vroom I'm a car

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Find a friend who knows how to sew, and sweet talk them into sewing a fabric patch on the inside of the jeans. If you pick an exciting fabric, it'll make your jeans (and crotch) look better than ever! The Japanese call this repair philosophy Kintsugi. It seems I don't have enough points to post pictures or links, so you'll have to use your imagination I guess.
Old 07-06-19, 07:03 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
I have not owned blue jeans since the '80s. Recently I changed jobs and need 4 pair (at least) so I picked them up at American Eagle Outfitters. I always hated the stiffness of jeans and cycling in them was out of the question. To my surprise, the stretch (elastic?) built into the cotton weave makes the jeans feel like I am wearing NOTHING. I mean they are super comfy. No doubt the seam in the crotch could be an issue, but if you like wearing jeans I can see how you would adore these. I could wear them as pajamas or doing gymnastics. The spot in the crotch where the four seams meet is pretty flat! If you have a bike saddle with a cutout I can't see how that seam would be a problem.

On the tag it says "Extreme Flex 4". You should try them.

As far as how they wear due to rubbing on a saddle I have no clue. As I recall they were pretty cheap and always "Buy 1, get the 2nd pair 50% off. This is how I ended up with 4 jeans.

FYI, I have cycled to work in them but it is only one mile each way. They felt great for that short distance.

Cheers.
Old 07-06-19, 09:30 PM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts

Levi worn by Brooks Saddle. Washing in a top loading machine just increases wear.
All I can honestly say is to get use to buying jeans from a secondhand shop. I realize those without street smarts may think that sounds dumb, but check this out: many second hand shops sell brand new "work" or "flex" jean and khaki pant. These tend to be a raw jean and thick mill made to be worn in. I live on my bike. Standard jeans may last a month depending on material thickness. Tip: when buying jeans and khaki to ride in make sure the seams are finished inside or the crotch will blow out asap. It is amazing how many pant makers do not finish the interior. Skip cycling specific clothing.... they do not last longer, period. Well, unless they are made with the "mess life" seal of approval. That generally puts the price way up due to the tactical and industrial like materials being used.

Another huge tip to reduce the wear.... make sure your saddle is positioned so that you are further back on it and not down in the center or along the snout. Saddle width in the middle matters too. I have gone through a number of saddles over the years. I am five foot four inches, narrow 28 waist, but huge thighs from cycling so much. I rode a custom carbon saddle for many years as it was the most narrow and short snout. Then recently picked up a Brooks Professional S. I am able to position myself way back on it and not move around much. I have also tied the saddle sides. I attached a photo of the wear on a pair of throwback Levi commuters. Another tip: Yes, do not wash your jeans. Simply hose or rinse with Cold water. The cold water neutralizes the smell, same as when cleaning onion or garlic smell from your hands. The rolling around in the wash is just more friction added increasing wear and reducing fiber bounding.

A surprising long lasting pair of pant for me has been either a Golf and Jockey specific or marketed product.
Old 07-09-19, 10:31 PM
carbohydrates

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Prana Brion pants.

They are $80 full price, go on sale often, and a pair lasts me over a year of very rough use.
Old 07-31-19, 11:58 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Do you eat a lot of beans?
Old 07-31-19, 06:40 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
dearborn's new commuter jeans look great, haven't had a chance to check them out in person yet though. i'm down to one pair of pants, so i'll probably grab a pair soon.

https://dearborndenim.us/products/commuter-dark-wash
Old 08-01-19, 12:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
i'm down to one pair of pants, so i'll probably grab a pair soon.
Is there a story to tell about that?
Old 08-01-19, 12:19 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I don't wear jeans on my bike, but...I buy Wranglers at Walmart, usually the ones with a little stretch. I wash them inside out. They are good enough for for most everything for about two years, then tend to get thin and really faded on the fronts of the thighs (when they become "work" pants). I've been admiring Kuhl jeans, but they are nearly three times the price.
Old 08-01-19, 01:14 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is there a story to tell about that?
hahah not really. i just don't own a whole lot of clothes and tend to wear them until they fall apart.
Likes For t_e_r_r_y:
Old 08-07-19, 04:29 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by Teamdarb

Levi worn by Brooks Saddle. Washing in a top loading machine just increases wear.
All I can honestly say is to get use to buying jeans from a secondhand shop. I realize those without street smarts may think that sounds dumb, but check this out: many second hand shops sell brand new "work" or "flex" jean and khaki pant. These tend to be a raw jean and thick mill made to be worn in. I live on my bike. Standard jeans may last a month depending on material thickness. Tip: when buying jeans and khaki to ride in make sure the seams are finished inside or the crotch will blow out asap. It is amazing how many pant makers do not finish the interior. Skip cycling specific clothing.... they do not last longer, period. Well, unless they are made with the "mess life" seal of approval. That generally puts the price way up due to the tactical and industrial like materials being used.

Another huge tip to reduce the wear.... make sure your saddle is positioned so that you are further back on it and not down in the center or along the snout. Saddle width in the middle matters too. I have gone through a number of saddles over the years. I am five foot four inches, narrow 28 waist, but huge thighs from cycling so much. I rode a custom carbon saddle for many years as it was the most narrow and short snout. Then recently picked up a Brooks Professional S. I am able to position myself way back on it and not move around much. I have also tied the saddle sides. I attached a photo of the wear on a pair of throwback Levi commuters. Another tip: Yes, do not wash your jeans. Simply hose or rinse with Cold water. The cold water neutralizes the smell, same as when cleaning onion or garlic smell from your hands. The rolling around in the wash is just more friction added increasing wear and reducing fiber bounding.

A surprising long lasting pair of pant for me has been either a Golf and Jockey specific or marketed product.
1. I have a pair of Farah slacks made into shorts that are older than my brother's grandson.

2. I have a rebuilt laundry pair older than the father of my brother's grandson.

3. I have bikes as old as my mom with saddles as old as me.

4. I still use 1983 Sony Trinitrons.

Bonus: PCs and vintage stereo receivers double as free weights, and the second plays a lot of Bee Gees.
Old 08-16-19, 03:54 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trailz
What pair of jeans have you had good luck with holding together for bike riding? Hopefully, some budget-conscious options come up.
Wouln't know... I haven't worn jeans while cycling for years. Shorts or sweatpants for this wolfess.
Old 08-26-19, 12:00 PM
Tiny1990

Bikes: 1990 Diamondback Interval, 08 Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I know they are not jeans but i love Dickies 874 original fit pants. They also hold up for awhile.
Old 11-11-19, 08:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
A few years ago, I bought a couple pair of expensive jeans made of selvedge denim which is heavier and better-made than current Levis. They hold up pretty well -- even better if you wash 'em infrequently, since that is where a lot of wear and tear comes from. I've washed one pair once in three years, and the other pair hasn't been washed at all after about 90 days' of use.
Old 12-11-19, 06:01 PM
osric

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, Cetma Cargo, Argo Cargo, Electra Loft 3i, Raleigh Sports, Detroit Bikes B-Type

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I swear by Swrve's regular fit cordura jeans these days. I wear them all through the winter here in Massachusetts and I haven't had any issues with crotch wear (they're gusseted and reinforced). All my prior Levi's (even the commuter ones when they made them) wore out in one season. They go on sale a few time a year.
Old 12-23-19, 05:57 PM
Borisb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The commuter line by Levi's hold up pretty well.
Old 12-28-19, 02:47 PM
KITANDTASK
2 WHEELER TRUCKER

Bikes: NEXT BRAND FROM WALMART IN 2006 AND 2008 SCHWINN MESA DISC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rustler is a good brand to me right now. 100 percent cotton jeans that feel good with a comfortable temperature while spending much time outdoors on a hot summer day. Cotton is a good choice of material for hot weather as i read before. Felt as good as a pair of wranglers i tried and some other brands from many years before that i had.

I do not like the word rustler as it basically means thief but i like that the label and branding on the jeans are just text compared to wrangler and levi for example. Levi has a stance on gun rights as i remember reading on their website that makes me think of buying from someone else. I like a good gun. I plan to use it in service to that which is right and holy and halal/kosher.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.