Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Anyone made a commitment to live car free?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Anyone made a commitment to live car free?

Old 06-21-19, 04:56 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Did you miss:
Why not just ride when practical and not make some big deal out of it when it isn't as will happen and "commit" yourself to being at work on time and getting the groceries home.
I didn't have a problem with that part of your post, just the part where you told him his proposed commitment was "hair-shirted nonsense". Harsh and judgemental words, I thought.
Nope, just too real world, and certainly not part of the strident unrealistic LCF party-line to quote.

BTW: Where's your recommendation for the OP on who to get with in the Twin Cities for actual experience in the nitty gritty of commuter survival in his challenging local environment, or is the Real World not part of your role as self appointed LCF Monitor of Content and Self Righteous Indignation?
Enjoy wearing that Hair Shirt while sanctimoniously posting, I'll just get on with riding the bike as I choose to and post on LCF as I choose to also.

-Bandera
I have no problem with you posting or commenting as you see fit, and I will do the same, including commenting on your posts and you are welcome to do the same.

In the real world I have more or less made a commitment not to drive to work, but I don't want to bike in the harshest conditions, so I take public transit about a third of the time. I end up driving to work about once a year, when there is some external factor, like my wife needs to go downtown and hates driving there so I go with her and then go on to work, or something like that. She's on her own driving home. Last year I think one time I took a cab home when I was sick.
Old 06-21-19, 05:13 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I didn't have a problem with that part of your post, just the part where you told him his proposed commitment was "hair-shirted nonsense". Harsh and judgemental words, I thought.I have no problem with you posting or commenting as you see fit, and I will do the same, including commenting on your posts and you are welcome to do the same.
We're good.

-Bandera
Old 06-22-19, 12:16 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty

I do, however, wonder why teenagers and young adults are resistant to giving other transportation methods a try, including cycling as well as walking and transit. I have observed the following among individuals in this demographic whom I personally know: driving without a license to destinations less than a mile away; missing school due to lack of a car (although several buses conveniently service the school); and running out of money for food in order to pay for Uber rides to destinations serviced by transit and/or less than a mile away. Again, I do not judge peoples' lifestyle choices, as I prefer they not judge mine. I simply find some choices odd.
Do you really wonder or do you not know what they think of the other methods of transportation? With all of the community groups I have attended and social functions I personally am not so mystified.
Old 06-22-19, 09:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I do, however, wonder why teenagers and young adults are resistant to giving other transportation methods a try, including cycling as well as walking and transit.

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Do you really wonder or do you not know what they think of the other methods of transportation? With all of the community groups I have attended and social functions I personally am not so mystified.
I suspect it is less a question of wondering or not knowing why teenagers and young folks (or anybody else) act the way they do, but rather just not approving of choices made that are different than those she would make.
Old 06-24-19, 01:00 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Wow, another excuse for butting in with pseudo-psychological twaddle, sanctimonious tut-tutting and failed mind reading by the self appointed LCF Politically Correct Thought Police.
Mercy. I've gotta save that one for somewhere, it's a masterpiece.
Old 06-24-19, 06:15 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
No, I generally aim to not drive for short distances, take the bus or other transit when it is practical, and of course resume riding when my new bike shows up.

I have a car, it doesn't get used often. Though more this year as my bike was stolen and I had some knee issues. It gets used most often when I need to travel over 5 miles to somewhere that transit connections suck. If it is under 3 miles or a suitable train ride it stays parked.
Old 06-24-19, 06:27 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Plan A: Ride the bike
Plan B: Take a ride-share/bus/taxi/car/walk/get-a-lift and I don't have to explain"why"
Plan C: See Plans A&B

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 06-25-19, 05:54 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Plan A: Ride the bike
Plan B: Take a ride-share/bus/taxi/car/walk/get-a-lift and I don't have to explain"why"

-Bandera
Plan A: Take a ride-share/bus/taxi/car/walk/get-a-lift and I don't have to explain"why"
Plan B: Ride the bike and I don't have to explain"why"

Also is an option, and requires no "commitment" to anyone including oneself.
Old 06-26-19, 07:30 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Mercy. I've gotta save that one for somewhere, it's a masterpiece.
Yeah, that is a good one!
Old 07-03-19, 06:32 PM
vader957

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Used to but forced to drive again due to job relocation, hate driving and filling the tank ugh...
Old 07-03-19, 10:23 PM
wttrjenkins
Tom

Bikes: Trek Domane AL2 / Genesis Mountain Bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi, I'm newer here. I started cycling more seriously this year and biked close to 500 miles since June. I started it to try and get healthier but my inner "tightwad" came out and now I am deliberately looking for small things or errands I can do to not drive our only vehicle which is a truck. I still need to invest in a rear rack and bags. I'd like to get a trailer but might build one. I'd almost get rid of the truck completely at that point but we live in the middle of nowhere and use it to get firewood and any night time events such as school events with our kids. Our nearest grocery store is 16 miles one way and is a little rough. There is a 18 mile route that is smoother and a bit safer also. I've already biked this a few times now but really couldn't haul much without a trailer.

Since I won't be completely be going car free at the moment my plan is to eliminate any possible trips that I can make by bike. Also if we do happen to have the truck out and about I might as well haul back bulkier items. I'm not sure if the truck has been drove much more than 3 or 4 times in the last month which is a big improvement. Although I was already pretty frugal with trips. What I really enjoy now is if I want to go somewhere, I go and don't feel guilty about buying fuel for a 3 ton truck
Old 07-12-19, 01:00 PM
Aletifer

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Track, 2017 Fuji Cross 1.5, 2019 Cannondale Quick NEO

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm working on this. It's going to take several steps, but living a nearly car-free existence is in the works. The plan so far:
  1. Get an ebike. (CHECK!) Several reasons for this, but the short version is that I need something that can help me establish a reliable commute when dealing with longer distances, detours, carrying a lot more crap at times, and harsher weather.
  2. Move. (In the works.) My wife and I are in the final stages of fixing up our house in order to sell it and move out. The idea is to be much closer to both our jobs. Not only that, but the road will also be a lot more bike-friendly no matter where we end up. So, this one's on the way.
  3. Get the kiddo starting school. Not much to do about this one other than wait. But once she's enrolled at the salt mines, I'll be good to go for ditching the car.
We'll still have one car between my wife and I, but I plan on driving it as rarely as possible.

For me, the reasons for doing this are both fun and financial. In my humble opinion, riding is just categorically better than driving every time you can swing it, and my word can it save you some serious cash over time. Honestly when I look at the numbers and how we get around, it's very difficult to justify having two cars.
Old 07-12-19, 01:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Aletifer
We'll still have one car between my wife and I, but I plan on driving it as rarely as possible.

For me, the reasons for doing this are both fun and financial. In my humble opinion, riding is just categorically better than driving every time you can swing it, and my word can it save you some serious cash over time. Honestly when I look at the numbers and how we get around, it's very difficult to justify having two cars.
You will fit right in on this list.
You are planning to use your car(s) less than previously but still will keep and use one car because given your circumstances it is better for your family than the difficulty of actually living car free.
Old 07-13-19, 04:47 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You will fit right in on this list.
You are planning to use your car(s) less than previously but still will keep and use one car because given your circumstances it is better for your family than the difficulty of actually living car free.
He sure will fit right in here!

I used to rent as many as a dozen or more cars every year, but I have not OWNED a car since 1989. I take a taxi now and then as well. My wife of 25 years has always owned a car. Sure, in an emergency I could use it but same as the guy you are trolling - it is NOT my car. I have to ask to use it, and like a rental car I am expected to fuel it before returning it.

My household is "car-light" but I consider myself "car-free" as I do not have a car in my name. My name is not on the title of my wife's car and we have a separation of property agreement in a prenup. I kept the car maintained for about 15 years but now my new job hours does not give me time, so my wife has to deal with the maintenance. It's her car in the end and her responsibility.

Aletifer is welcome here. Trolls offering nothing of value and only venom...not so much.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 07-13-19, 05:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
He sure will fit right in here!

I used to rent as many as a dozen or more cars every year, but I have not OWNED a car since 1989. I take a taxi now and then as well. My wife of 25 years has always owned a car. Sure, in an emergency I could use it but same as the guy you are trolling - it is NOT my car. I have to ask to use it, and like a rental car I am expected to fuel it before returning it.

My household is "car-light" but I consider myself "car-free" as I do not have a car in my name. My name is not on the title of my wife's car and we have a separation of property agreement in a prenup. I kept the car maintained for about 15 years but now my new job hours does not give me time, so my wife has to deal with the maintenance. It's her car in the end and her responsibility.

Aletifer is welcome here. Trolls offering nothing of value and only venom...not so much.
Consider yourself anything you like, including "car free".

BTW, does your wife require you to get all transportation as well as your own groceries, shopping and emergency service without any access or use of "her" car?
Old 07-13-19, 07:21 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

BTW, does your wife require you to get all transportation as well as your own groceries, shopping and emergency service without any access or use of "her" car?
If I WANT a car, I rent one. If I NEED a car in an emergency I gotta catch a taxi or if I am lucky I can use her car. Since it is not my car, I can not count on it and my wife has her own life and is not concerned about my transportation needs. In fact, she, like you, makes fun of me if I use it. Unless of course I am doing something for her, which is the most likely scenario if you ever see me driving her car.
Old 07-13-19, 08:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

In fact, she, like you, makes fun of me if I use it. Unless of course I am doing something for her, which is the most likely scenario if you ever see me driving her car.
I don't make fun of your, or anybody else's use of the family car but your peculiar semantic gyrations about ownership of the car that is a part of your household in order to maintain your so-called "car free" status is hilarious.

Reminds me of the convolutions in language used by some teenagers and well know politicians to describe their sexual activities as not doing "it" and maintaining their virginal halos.

Or maybe the pathetic smokers who maintain their alleged non-smoker status by only smoking cigarettes they can bum from others and never buying (owning) any of their own.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-13-19 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 08:31 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

I don't make fun of your, or anybody else's use of the family car but your peculiar semantic gyrations about ownership of the car that is a part of your household in order to maintain your so-called "car free" status is hilarious.

Reminds me of the convolutions in language used by some teenagers and well know politicians to describe their sexual activities as not doing "it" and maintaining their virginal halos.

Or maybe the pathetic smokers who maintain their alleged non-smoker status by only smoking cigarettes they can bum from others and never buying (owning) any of their own.
Do you have a classification for people who are not car-free and never have been since pre-puberty, yet they hang out in a car-free forum and pass judgement on a topic they know nothing about except hearsay and personal opinions based on projection?
Old 07-13-19, 10:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Do you have a classification for people who are not car-free and never have been since pre-puberty, yet they hang out in a car-free forum and pass judgement on a topic they know nothing about except hearsay and personal opinions based on projection?
"Prototypical LCF poster"
Old 07-14-19, 06:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
My household is "car-light" but I consider myself "car-free" as I do not have a car in my name. My name is not on the title of my wife's car and we have a separation of property agreement in a prenup.

I kept the car maintained for about 15 years but now my new job hours does not give me time, so my wife has to deal with the maintenance. It's her car in the end and her responsibility.

If I WANT a car, I rent one. If I NEED a car in an emergency I gotta catch a taxi or if I am lucky I can use her car. Since it is not my car, I can not count on it and my wife has her own life and is not concerned about my transportation needs.

In fact, she, like you, makes fun of me if I use it. Unless of course I am doing something for her, which is the most likely scenario if you ever see me driving her car.
I have posted that I consider myself (seriously) Car-Lite, with a condition similar to yours, @JoeyBike. It’s my wife’s car and I use it sparingly at her convenience, though I’m the major breadwinner.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Boston is probably one of the most Car-free cities in the world, and having a car is often detrimental. We live near the transportation hub of Kenmore Square.

Our easily accessible Car-free / Car-light modalities at home and work are:…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m car-lite too, mostly due to family activities, but I’m the most amenable to car-free [in our family]…
A new twist is that our adult son who lives in our building recently bought a car, mainly for his weekday job, So now with three drivers (not including the daughter) we share two cars, me the lowest priority since I don’t have one.

I mostly commute by bike (14 miles) and convenient commuter rail, and nearly always use the car only on weekends when the Commuter Rail schedule is reduced and family activities frequent.

We live in an area with tight parking restrictions. nearly entirely two-hour metered parking, except on Sundays and Holidays, from 8 AM to 6 PM; many residential-only spots with vigorous enforcement; and only one block in this high-density residental and commercial neighbor with time-unlimited parking with a residential sticker.

We do own one deeded full-time unlimited parking space, that our son sometime uses. Our car is an SUV and more utilitarian than his sedan so we also share according to the purpose of the trip.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-14-19 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 04:49 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Five months now since I sold my car. Man, I do NOT miss it at all. Was just a freakin albatross around my neck (financially) for very little benefit. I have picked up a small electric friction drive I can use on both of my bikes, to make hauling big stuff easier and also allow me to go further without fear I will crap out and not get back, lol. Having the motor in my bag (it's only 4.5lbs with battery) is just the peace of mind I need to consider going much further from my usual haunts and not feel restricted to closer venues. If I go too far for my knees, I can get a little help on the way back. It has opened my life back up to the places I used to go in a car but was hesitant to try to reach by bike. It's funny how "confidence" is such a big factor in planning rides.
Old 07-16-19, 07:11 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by linberl
Five months now since I sold my car. Man, I do NOT miss it at all. Was just a freakin albatross around my neck (financially) for very little benefit. I have picked up a small electric friction drive I can use on both of my bikes, to make hauling big stuff easier and also allow me to go further without fear I will crap out and not get back, lol. Having the motor in my bag (it's only 4.5lbs with battery) is just the peace of mind I need to consider going much further from my usual haunts and not feel restricted to closer venues. If I go too far for my knees, I can get a little help on the way back. It has opened my life back up to the places I used to go in a car but was hesitant to try to reach by bike. It's funny how "confidence" is such a big factor in planning rides.
Bringing your own tailwind! Nice.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 09-18-19, 11:33 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I sold the car months ago (Feb.) and have been using the bike (or bike plus Bart) exclusively. I do sometimes ride with other people in their car - as it would be incredibly rude to say "no I can't go with you I MUST meet you after I ride my bike" but in those cases I at least ride to where they are first. And, twice I've needed to go to my son's apartment at night and I don't feel safe riding all the roads there in the dark (too many cyclists have gotten hit and/or killed on that route) so I took a Gig Car. I don't think in terms of "living car free" but I just don't want to own one anymore, nor be the reason one gets used. If others are driving anyway, my presence in the car doesn't impact anything. The one off is the Gig car at night - and I'd rather be alive than perfectly car free.
Old 09-19-19, 07:16 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
I ride to work two-three times a week. I ride my scooter the other days. I haven't owned a car since 2005. For back up, I ride public transportation, uber, or rent a car.
My update is I ride to work 12 miles one way (RT 24 miles) four times a week and scooter 1 day a week if I need to be somewhere quickly after work. I take public transportation on inclement weather days. I've also invested in an ebike to make my commute more enjoyable and consistent since the bike aids in recovery time and cuts down my time on the bike going home by about 10-20 mins.
Old 09-19-19, 07:39 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
I’m changing jobs again soon, and I’ll be working 10 miles from home. I’ve biked the distance many times in the past, and can commute to work in 40-45 minutes. However, I’ve never biked to work every day of the week, all year round. Winter here will be challenging, but I’ve ridden in the winter before. I’m thinking of making a commitment to myself to try biking 100% of the time to work to start my car-free living.

Have you ever made a commitment to yourself (or someone else) which caused you to become car free? If so, did you make it? If not, what caused you to fail?
I'd love to hear an update on your story.

You couldn't have more winter-biking resources and knowledge available, Minneapolis is full of people, shops, and products designed by people that ride our winters (45NRTH). Most cites keep bike routes clear of snow, Minneapolis typically plows the greenways as a top priority.

I started moving to year-round bike-commuting in small steps over a couple years by riding in colder weather and with snow/ice a little at a time. I've come to the point where there extremely few days I will not ride - icy roads are the exception and not because I can't ride it, but because people can't figure out how to control their cars.

I will add that locations make a big difference, the Twin Cities is a large area with very different bike infrastructure. Some areas are amazing, others suck bad.

For reference, I am not car-free, but I am car-lite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.