Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid vs Comfort (Giant Cypress or Sedona)

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrid vs Comfort (Giant Cypress or Sedona)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 06:20 AM
Scooby214
Saving gas on my commute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Condorita
Upright's the best way to ride. You can see what's around you.
There are degrees of upright posture. Some hybrid comfort bikes, like the Sedona, Cypress, and Schwinn Sierra GS, are setup so that you are sitting up straight. Performance hybrid bikes still are considered to have upright postures, but not quite sitting perpendicular to the ground like on the comfort bikes.

As far as whether upright is the best way to ride, that is a matter of rider's needs and preferences. When it is a windy day, I certainly prefer my road bike to my modified Sierra GS as the road bike allows me to be more aerodynamic. Even with the changes I made to the Sierra's riding posture, I am still more upright on it than on the road bike. When it is rainy, I prefer my Sierra GS. I tend to ride slower in the rain, and the long wheelbase of the Sierra, combined with its 26x1.5" tires, helps me feel more stable. Not to mention the fact that my Sierra has fenders with mudflaps to keep the wet road grime off of the bike and me.
Old 01-18-12, 04:40 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooby214
There are degrees of upright posture. Some hybrid comfort bikes, like the Sedona, Cypress, and Schwinn Sierra GS, are setup so that you are sitting up straight. Performance hybrid bikes still are considered to have upright postures, but not quite sitting perpendicular to the ground like on the comfort bikes.

As far as whether upright is the best way to ride, that is a matter of rider's needs and preferences. When it is a windy day, I certainly prefer my road bike to my modified Sierra GS as the road bike allows me to be more aerodynamic. Even with the changes I made to the Sierra's riding posture, I am still more upright on it than on the road bike. When it is rainy, I prefer my Sierra GS. I tend to ride slower in the rain, and the long wheelbase of the Sierra, combined with its 26x1.5" tires, helps me feel more stable. Not to mention the fact that my Sierra has fenders with mudflaps to keep the wet road grime off of the bike and me.
Then spare people who prefer the upright riding position the snarky "outgrew" remarks.
Old 01-18-12, 07:05 PM
Scooby214
Saving gas on my commute

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Condorita
Then spare people who prefer the upright riding position the snarky "outgrew" remarks.
I'm sorry that I made that remark. It truly was not my intent to belittle someone because of cycling preferences. I should have worded my statement differently. I hadn't thought of it as coming across as snarky, but looking back at what I had typed, I did come across that way.

I'll try to make sure my future responses are helpful, without coming across as condescending toward others.

Last edited by Scooby214; 01-18-12 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-19-16, 04:44 AM
michaelcogburn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Danny, I've understood your concern. This common confusion I've seen among many people before purchasing a bicycle, even I've experienced similar situation during my first road bike purchase few months back. I was looked over some online shopping sites and their reviews and among all I've found this road bike under 1000 review page very useful. I was looking for a bike under $1000, and lastly I purchased my bike at $599.
Old 04-19-16, 08:12 PM
Wrenchspinnerjr

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a giant cypress DX and even though the fork adds weight and isn't the best quality, I love the bike. I have found the fork does help relieve the stress on my wrists and shoulders.
Old 04-19-16, 08:50 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dannydan
Hi,

I was at the bike shop today trying to decide between the Giant Cypress and Giant Sedona. Both were comfortable for the short test ride. It seems like the main difference (or maybe even only difference) between the two is the tires. The Sedona has 26" tires while the Cypress has 700c tires.
I am a 29 year old male looking for a bike mainly to ride around the neighborhood, parks with bicycle paths and along the beach. My main goals are leisure and fitness. I most likely won't do any mountain biking, downhill,etc and generally prefer staying on "safe" paths. Stability and comfort is also important (if the tires has anything to do with that). I will use it mainly on the weekends (not for commute). If I had to guess my average ride would probably be an hour or so, don't see myself going much longer than that.
Any thoughts on which bike would be more suitable?

Thanks in advance!

Danny
I started off with a Giant Cypress, but found I wanted something a little more sporty and less comfort oriented. After about a year and a half I decided to get the Giant Escape 1. It was an adjustment getting used to a less cushy seat and lower handlebars, but I did. I enjoy riding the Escape far more than the Cypress now. I didn't think I would ever ride more than ten miles. I average about 120 miles a week now, and have ridden as far as 26 miles. I don't think I could have done that on the Cypress.
Old 04-20-16, 05:31 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
WOW, did someone dig up an old thread and I wish DannyDan would still be a member here and gives us the ending.

BTW, I had a Giant Cypress and loved it. It was the perfect do it all type of bike that was good on the road, trail and MUP's. The suspension (forks and seat post) have it a smooth ride and the 700c tires let it go fast. Gearing was wide spread and it seems like that bike had a gear for everything. Good bang for the buck too!
Old 04-20-16, 07:12 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
MHO, try to stick with the more performance oriented hybrids, like the Giant Escape, Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus, (etc) lines. These performance hybrids wit 28 to 35mm 700c tires are soooooo much easier to ride...... You will never regret it! All have models in your price ranges.

These are all GREAT bikes for beginners and old warhorses..... forever bikes!
Old 06-04-19, 03:26 PM
Foxy45
Foxy

Bikes: Giant Cypress, KCRp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mleach82
I was in your shoes earlier this year when i was looking for a hybrid for family riding and commuting.

I ended up with the Giant Cypress over the Sedona due to the 700c tires. I wasn't too concerned with speed as i was more concerned with comfort for this type of riding and i also already have a road bike i picked up from craigslist so i opted for the suspension fork. This has made my commute a bit more comfortable as some of the roads along the way are horrible.

You mentioned a budget of around $500, just keep in mind any accessories you may want to include in your budget. My LBS gave me 25% off any accessories when i purchased my Cypress so i opted for a rear rack and light kit.

Good luck with your decision!
Thanks no1mad!
If I understand correctly, I should look at the Cypress model without suspension. Trek's 7xxx series also looks interesting but they all have suspension as well...
I don't know if the FX is the right bike for me. Calories are more important than miles for now, so I don't mind going a shorter distance (but not shorter time) as long as it's comfortable. It's not like I need to get from point A to B, I can always make a U turn and head back home / to the car...
I PUT 29 X 2+ INCH TIRE ON MY Giant cypress. It really improved the suspension capabilities without reducing speed or handling.
Old 07-22-19, 12:33 PM
Foxy45
Foxy

Bikes: Giant Cypress, KCRp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I was at the bike shop today trying to decide between the Giant Cypress and Giant Sedona. Both were comfortable for the short test ride. It seems like the main difference (or maybe even only difference) between the two is the tires. The Sedona has 26" tires while the Cypress has 700c tires.
I am a 29 year old male looking for a bike mainly to ride around the neighborhood, parks with bicycle paths and along the beach. My main goals are leisure and fitness. I most likely won't do any mountain biking, downhill,etc and generally prefer staying on "safe" paths. Stability and comfort is also important (if the tires has anything to do with that). I will use it mainly on the weekends (not for commute). If I had to guess my average ride would probably be an hour or so, don't see myself going much longer than that.
Any thoughts on which bike would be more suitable?

Thanks in advance!

Danny
Have you decided on which model? Cypress or sedona? Thinking about both. This years sedona has disk brakes and 2.3 inch tires, suspended fork and a lower gear ratio ( better for hill climbing ). PS I had a cypress, loved it but was stolen.
Old 07-22-19, 09:40 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
My first bike store purchase was a Giant Cypress, which was perfect for me after not being on a bike for over 30 years. After about two years, I wanted something a bit more aggressive so I bought a Giant Escape. Both are great bikes. It really depends on how fast and far you want to ride.