Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

bought mtb, should have gotten a road

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 06:41 AM
thoakes3

Bikes: 2007 Specialized RockHopper, (2) 2004 Trek 3500's, 1980 something Fuji Absolute, 1970 something Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I bought a Specialized Rockhopper about a month ago, and haven't ridden it much. Not long after having it, I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be riding trails. I love to ride, but find myself on the road most of the time. I plan on selling, or trading someone for a road bike if I can, but I need to know what a good road bike for me would be. I'm 6'0 and about 230lbs. Thanks for any info
Old 06-21-07, 06:45 AM
-VELOCITY-

Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me a few years ago. I went to the LBS looking for a MTB and after riding a few then trying out a road bike I bought a Trek 1000. Luckily I'm not an impulse buyer. Anymore. As far as choices. Wow there are so many. Do alot of research and try alot of bikes. That's what I can say.
Old 06-21-07, 07:08 AM
cordia75
Speed Freak

Bikes: KHS Flite w/ pseudo Ultegra groupset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same thing for me. Bought a Trek hybrid 3 years ago but didn't ride much. Went back to my first love of road biking again this year and i'm clocking up the miles (actually it's kilometres where I am, but using miles gives it a nice ring).
Old 06-21-07, 09:36 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Look in the $750 road bike thread at the top of this forum. That contains everything you need to know about buying your first road bike.
Old 06-21-07, 10:09 AM
vpiuva

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're considering used here in the 'ham:

Nothing on CL right now
Unknown size Felt on Bike Link's classifieds
Several bikes on Bob's Bikes classifieds, that Merckx is sweet but too small for you.
Fellow rider has an aluminum Lemond that he just replaced in your size - he might be interested in selling
Another has a Quattro Assi he replaced - no idea if he wants to sell
Send Dirt an e-mail to put out a bike wanted on his Google list

PM me if you want more info.
Old 06-21-07, 10:19 AM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thoakes3
Hey guys, I bought a Specialized Rockhopper about a month ago, and haven't ridden it much. Not long after having it, I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be riding trails. I love to ride, but find myself on the road most of the time. I plan on selling, or trading someone for a road bike if I can, but I need to know what a good road bike for me would be. I'm 6'0 and about 230lbs. Thanks for any info
"About" a month? Depending on your shop, you still may be able to trade it in for a road bike.
Old 06-21-07, 10:28 AM
musician
cracked

Bikes: 07 Felt F5C, 93 Bridgeston MB-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thoakes3
why not keep it and have 2 bikes? i have a road bike and a mountain bike - the 'mountain' bike is actually set up for urban riding with slick tires; sometimes i commute on it, and can lock it up without worrying about it (i'd never lock the road bike anywhere, too many risks of theft/vandalism); mountain is also nice for riding up the street to collect the kids (road bike is overkill, needs shoes, etc.). i plan to change the tires to proper mountain tires, to be able to ride in the woods for a break from the roads.
Old 06-21-07, 10:55 AM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by musician
why not keep it and have 2 bikes? i have a road bike and a mountain bike - the 'mountain' bike is actually set up for urban riding with slick tires; sometimes i commute on it, and can lock it up without worrying about it (i'd never lock the road bike anywhere, too many risks of theft/vandalism); mountain is also nice for riding up the street to collect the kids (road bike is overkill, needs shoes, etc.). i plan to change the tires to proper mountain tires, to be able to ride in the woods for a break from the roads.
After commuting on both a mtb and road bike for a while (alternating between the two) I decided to go exclusively with the road bike. Initially I was a bit more comfortable on the mtb but it was a lot slower and I found that after I was back in the saddle for a while the road bike was just as comfortable. I sold my mtb last summer and haven't regretted it one bit.
Old 06-21-07, 11:51 AM
madturtle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just out of curiosity why did you think you'd prefer the MTB over a roadie originally? If you are just getting into it or back into it you might enjoy the trails a bit more once you get a little more fit or more comfortable w/ balance and what not. That's assuming your personality gravitated towards a MTB originally for a pretty good reason. But I'm not much of a roadie and pretty biased ;-). Also if you already have the MTB you'll probably lose a lot of $$$ reselling it; if you can trade it w/ someone that would be great but tough to find a fair and available trade I'd imagine. If your finances can swing it I'd keep both for a while and if you really only use one or the other sell in 6-8 months. But I'd agree if you'll be on the road it is way more enjoyable to ride on a roadie than a converted MTB w/ slicks and whatnot.
Old 06-21-07, 11:55 AM
vic32amg

Bikes: Cervelo S5 SRAM Red -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you do want to sell you rock hopper I have a friend looking for a rockhopper disc in 19" . PM me if you want.
Old 06-21-07, 12:22 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Your mistake was not in buying a mountainbike. Your mistake was in ending your purchasing there. You still need a road bike and a fixed gear.
Old 06-21-07, 12:25 PM
Flak
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
n+1 my friend.

If you can afford it keep the mtb. Getting out to the trails is always fun, even if you mostly ride roads these days.
Old 06-21-07, 12:32 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by musician
why not keep it and have 2 bikes?
Yup, you really cannot have too many bikes. Seriously!

... Brad
Old 06-21-07, 12:52 PM
gfrance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Your mistake was not in buying a mountainbike. Your mistake was in ending your purchasing there. You still need a road bike and a fixed gear.
I got all the bases covered. Maybe a tandem next for the wife.