Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drafting in a group versus solo

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 12:06 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I don't subscribe to that lame rag...
Old 06-24-07, 12:16 AM
austinspinner

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry phantoj, drafting is real and it works like it says on the tin.

Spend an hour on google or the local library and you should be able to assemble quite the portfolio of PEER REVIEWED research from notable journals, as well as many popular science articles on the subject.

Does group riding contain an element of placebo effect as well for speed increases, of course it does.
Old 06-24-07, 12:17 AM
Phantoj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I will admit it... I am teasing.

I need to go to bed... when I get sleep-deprived, this sort of absurd stuff strikes me as funny.

Furthermore, I guess I thought it was pretty rediculous that Mythbusters would have even produced a segment attempting to debunk drafting. (Also, I thought the way they did it had some major lamenesses. I would have liked to see some guy doing 50 mph on a road bike behind a semi or them using a Powertap to actually quantify the energy saved by drafting. And what was the deal with the armor suit for the guy riding at 20 mph?) I just intended to sort of sarcastically point out the article, but then got drawn into inventing a bunch of pseudoscientific hand-waving to support my argument. Trolling is hard.
Old 06-24-07, 12:18 AM
austinspinner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quit messing with us at 2A.M.!!!
Old 06-24-07, 06:36 AM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
I keep reading about how these groups of guys do long rides and average upwards of 33, 34 and 35 km/h speedwise. I always ride alone and average 30 km/h.

So how much of a benefit is drafting? How fast do these guys ride alone? Would I be able to hang with the 35 km/h groups?

I think it matters to my question to add that I ride on comparatively less hilly terrain in heavy winds, so drafting would be a major factor to be considered. I'm assuming that drafting doesn't mean much when you're climbing hills. Er...right?
Sounds just like nova scotia, it's nothing but rolling terrain, and it's ALWAYS windy, sometime's well get lucky on the group rides and we'll have headwind on the way out and the way back cause the wind will shift during the ride.

Up to 80% of your energy on the bike goes towards overcoming wind/air resistance. You can easily save 20-30% of your energy in a good pack, even if it's only 5 or 6 riders you can still save. I've confirmed this fact with a power meter where on the same road i'll have to push ~330watts for 4 or 5 minutes doing a pull, then at the same speed, i'll be doing ~260watts, or often less, sitting at the back.

Solo i don't bother looking at speed, it'll just depress you. In groups though, it helps keep everyone motivated when that 40km/h carrot is dangling out front.
Old 06-24-07, 07:05 AM
dekindy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anybody that says that there is no drafting effect has never ridden a bicycle solo and then in a paceline and compared the difference, which you notice immediately. You don't even have to ride wheel to wheel to get a benefit, although the closer the better.

There is defintiely a group benefit also. It is much easier to maintain a pace just by having others around. Try it when someone passes you. Maintaining a faster pace and keeping up magically becomes easier. Kind of like the fat guy that passed me on my first and only running 10K. All of a sudden I did not feel as bad and speeded up.

If I want to go faster I prefer to ride solo because it is better training and you are fully aware of your individual capability. Just practice drafting enough to get good at it so you can use it when you really need it.

Having said that I have not had a lot of experience in very strong winds. But I have noticed in 20+ mph winds unless I am heading directly into the wind it is difficult for me to find a spot that gives me some benefit even when other riders around say they are getting a benefit. I would like to see a study with various sized riders (especially with a smaller, lighter rider in front) and a wide spectrum of wind speeds that measures benefit.

In the summertime when it is hot, I can really feel the temperature difference. I prefer cooling wind versus the draft that makes pedaling easier. I feel like I am baking if I am drafting.
Old 06-24-07, 07:15 AM
dekindy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnny99
If the group is very skilled and you don't have to pull too much, then you can easily do 5mph faster in a pace line than by yourself. Drafting people who don't know what they are doing, however, is very dangerous.
I disagree slightly with the first statement and agree wholeheartedly with the second.

I could not keep up with a paceline that was that much better than my current ability unless you do not lead and there are no hills.

Leading in a group that is going that much faster than your current ability completely drains you unless the other riders don't mind you doing a short pull, which many don't. Strong riders only need a short break in the draft to recover and they can go full speed again.

Winds and hills really separate the stronger from the weaker riders. Once you hit a difficult hill and don't make the regroup after the top you will get dropped like a rock.

I frequently refrain from drafting because the effort required with a really strong group takes every bit of energy you have and you don't have the strength to make the maneuvers to position yourself safely. And you are totally unawareof what is going on around you so you don't watch the other riders, look ahead for bad spots in the road and dogs, anticipate terrain and needed shifts, etc.
Old 06-24-07, 11:01 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
Okay, I will admit it... I am teasing.

You misspelled "just being a d*ck".
Old 06-24-07, 01:28 PM
dangerman
late braker

Bikes: eddy merckx majestic ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Drafting" has been proved on the TV show "Mythbusters" to be a myth. What really happens is that you get all the other riders around you and the stimulus of all the fast bikers riding hard combines with natural competitive urges and drives you to ride harder than you normally can. This is why beginners are often told that the quickest way to see improvements is to "ride with people who are faster than you are."

The perceived benefit of drafting is really just a response to this stimulus.
do you really believe everything you see on TV?
Old 06-24-07, 01:45 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I almost never ride with folks. Today I went out with a large group and was waiting to get rolling when I looke down a my speedo and noticed it read "22"
I wasn't even working. I never ride that fast alone. I'm more of a 16-17 mph cruiser.
So, as we all know, it really makes a difference.
Old 06-24-07, 01:57 PM
SkyeC
I scream for ice cream.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One advantage of being short and riding a small frame is I can really tuck in behind people especially when they're tall and riding big frames... I'm sure not they get much benefit from falling in behind me, though!
Old 06-24-07, 02:23 PM
Phantoj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
You misspelled "just being a d*ck".
I guess.

But don't you think the absurdity of arguing that drafting is a myth is sort of humorous?

Remember, Mythbusters -- in their final analysis -- only decided that the seemingly far-fetched notion of drafting was "plausible"... they didn't say "confirmed" or "real".
Old 06-24-07, 02:42 PM
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In order for "drafting" of any meaningful magnitude to occur, the riders would have to be traveling through an dense and/or viscous materal - like water, or beer, or maple syrup - or the tire of the "drafting" cyclist would have to be within 0.010" of the lead cyclist. That is how large the pocket of draft air is around the lead bike. You are confusing the aerodynamics of cars and planes (large Reynolds #'s) with bikes (extremely small Reynolds #'s).

I think the proponents of so-called "drafting" have been enjoying a few too many "drafts" (PBR, probably) themselves. A logical and scientific analysis shows drafting to be a sham.

Did Landis need "drafting" to win his stunning Stage 17 victory? No, he soloed most of the way. "Drafting" is purported to be a lot of low-pressure air, but it's really a lot of HOT AIR.
The faster you go, the better drafting helps.. The slipstream envelope that a rider produces is directly proportional to the speed that you ride at right?.. When you go uphill you are going slow and hence it has very little effect on you.. Ever watched a car race?. Seen a guy get into the slipstream of a car in front and sling shot him across? Its the same principle albeit at slower speeds..

The mythbusters episode was for a car drafting a semi. It wasn't for two bicyclists drafting each other..
Old 06-24-07, 02:52 PM
musician
cracked

Bikes: 07 Felt F5C, 93 Bridgeston MB-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drafting in a group -- yes, this is possible

drafting solo -- no, this is impossible
Old 06-24-07, 03:02 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by musician
drafting in a group -- yes, this is possible

drafting solo -- no, this is impossible
I drafted a gravel truck on my morning commute a few months back...before I knew it, I was going 35 mph on a flat road, about 5 feet behind those big rear wheels. Kinda stupid, but fun!
Old 06-24-07, 03:04 PM
ratebeer
Not obese just overweight

Bikes: Trek 7500fx, Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watch the show. It's a myth.
Post of the day.

Veho difficilis, ago facilis
Old 06-24-07, 03:21 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by skinnyone
The slipstream envelope that a rider produces is directly proportional to the speed that you ride at right?.
True (or better it depends on how you define the envelope). The length of the wake is proportional to speed, though not linearly.

When you go uphill you are going slow and hence it has very little effect on you.
False. The reduction in drag is the same at 6 mph as it is at 60. The difference is drag has a much smaller contribution to the total power needed at 6 mph as is has at 60. (and you should be very careful comparing race cars with 1-2 m^2 frontal area moving ~100-200 mph with cyclists with 0.2-0.5 m^2 area at ~6-60 mph.)
Old 06-24-07, 03:54 PM
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
True (or better it depends on how you define the envelope). The length of the wake is proportional to speed, though not linearly.

False. The reduction in drag is the same at 6 mph as it is at 60. The difference is drag has a much smaller contribution to the total power needed at 6 mph as is has at 60. (and you should be very careful comparing race cars with 1-2 m^2 frontal area moving ~100-200 mph with cyclists with 0.2-0.5 m^2 area at ~6-60 mph.)
Agreed on 1.. And 2 makes sense but..assuming that the envelope approximately has a tear drop shape(very rough approximation), then the total volume of the slipstream is smaller and the tail is shorter going uphill at 6mph right?. Wouldn't that mean that some point you have to be much closer than a few inches away from the riders wheel to get decent reduction in drag?

I was just trying to come up with a more general colloquial example for drafting and I agree its a stretch to compare a car to a cyclist..
Old 06-24-07, 03:59 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Wouldn't that mean that some point you have to be much closer than a few inches away from the riders wheel to get decent reduction in drag?
Even at 6 mph, the wake is several bike lengths long. Now if someone rode at 6 inches an hour, that would be a different story, but that isn't a realistic cycling speed. At reasonable cycling speeds, there's no dependence on drag reduction from speed.
Old 06-24-07, 04:03 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess.

But don't you think the absurdity of arguing that drafting is a myth is sort of humorous?
When I read your first response I chuckled. When I read all of the responses to that, I started to think that maybe humor was a myth.

Hey, it's plausible.
Old 06-24-07, 04:48 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
"Drafting" has been proved on the TV show "Mythbusters" to be a myth. What really happens is that you get all the other riders around you and the stimulus of all the fast bikers riding hard combines with natural competitive urges and drives you to ride harder than you normally can. This is why beginners are often told that the quickest way to see improvements is to "ride with people who are faster than you are."

Ok, I haven't seen the show but, how do you explain that when I'm riding with a friend down a moderate hill, say at 20-25 mph, he's pedaling like hell and I'm coasting and have to touch my brakes occasionally to keep from riding up on him? Are my wheels and hubs simply responding th the stimulus of being behind? Sort of like a sled dog team chasing the team in front?

And no, it's not the quality of the wheels, aero-ness or other factor. He is much more aero (more flexible, gets lower), has much better bike and wheels, and his overall rig coasts better than me as evidenced by him gaining on me whenever we coast fast down hill, but with a large gap. I follow always because he simply coasts faster.
Old 06-24-07, 08:22 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love mythbusters but they aren't really experts in cycling or exercise physiology.

All you need to do is ride a flat course behind 3 or 4 guys who are switching off and track your heart rate. It's a huge effect.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 06-24-07, 08:28 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I keep reading about how these groups of guys do long rides and average upwards of 33, 34 and 35 km/h speedwise. I always ride alone and average 30 km/h.

So how much of a benefit is drafting? How fast do these guys ride alone? Would I be able to hang with the 35 km/h groups?

I think it matters to my question to add that I ride on comparatively less hilly terrain in heavy winds, so drafting would be a major factor to be considered. I'm assuming that drafting doesn't mean much when you're climbing hills. Er...right?
Whether you could hang depends on a number of factors.

If you can be second or third wheel and the terrain is dead flat, then it's easy to hang with the group.

As the terrain gets rolling, whenever you hit an uphill, the amount of effort you have to put out goes up considerably.

And, as you get farther back in the group (or the group isn't as skilled), every tiny change in speed at the front gets magnified, and you find yourself having to sprint to get back on a wheel at times.

And, obviously, if you take a turn at the front - and you *should* take a turn at the front, even if it's only 15 seconds - you put out a ton of effort during the time you're at the front.

So, to summarize, riding in a paceline can reduce your overall effort considerably *but* you have to be able to deal with short intense efforts and be able to recover from them quickly. If you aren't able to do this, you'll be off the back quickly.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com