Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Townie EQ worth the $100 upgrade?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 07-16-16, 09:53 PM
Fabian43

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wife and I are about to purchase matching Townie 7D's but I'm unsure if the EQ is worth the extra $100?

We live in Southern California, mainly flat with a few moderate hills. It'll be for crushing around our neighborhood, occasionally taking to the beach areas for rides. We don't plan on riding at night on purpose but for those time we leave at dusk and return in the dark we'd like to have lights.

I read the EQ model has internal routed cabling but the LBS sales person said the standard 7D also has internal routed cabling (unless I misunderstood him).
Is the Dynamo powered lights that important? Having fenders isn't a big deal to me but fenders are included in the EQ model. Would we be just fine buying lights to add on to the bikes? If so, how much for a decent light? Any light suggestions? TIA
Old 07-17-16, 10:46 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
If you were intending to use the bike at night frequently, and need to have the road in front of you illuminated for adequate vision, then a high end lighting system would be a needed feature. Since you aren't planning on lots of night riding, and probably riding on well light streets, I'd suggest just getting a couple accessory lights that would help make you more visible to cars. Aftermarket Lights range from super cheap to very pricey, depending on what your needs are.

I used to ride around at night in So Cal (Irvine, Tustin, Huntington, Newport, etc) and never felt the need for a light. Not even close, because of the good street lights. YMMV. My personal choice would be aftermarket lighting. I like things as simple and clean as possible and I just don't dig the extra wires.

Fenders are helpful if you commute in the rain frequently. But if your bikes are for fair weather entertainment and exercise, fenders are just dead weight and serve no purpose whatsoever. They also make maintenance and flat repairs slightly more challenging.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 07-17-16 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-17-16, 11:06 AM
Fabian43

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
If you were intending to use the bike at night frequently, and need to have the road in front of you illuminated for adequate vision, then a high end lighting system would be a needed feature. Since you aren't planning on lots of night riding, and probably riding on well light streets, I'd suggest just getting a couple accessory lights that would help make you more visible to cars. Aftermarket Lights range from super cheap to very pricey, depending on what your needs are.

I used to ride around at night in So Cal (Irvine, Tustin, Huntington, Newport, etc) and never felt the need for a light. Not even close, because of the good street lights. YMMV. My personal choice would be aftermarket lighting. I like things as simple and clean as possible and I just don't dig the extra wires.

Fenders are helpful if you commute in the rain frequently. But if your bikes are for fair weather entertainment and exercise, fenders are just dead weight and serve no purpose whatsoever. They also make maintenance and flat repairs slightly more challenging.
You made good points. The bikes will be used for casual daytime riding but since it's so hot here in summer I thought to take a ride around 7p but if we ride back home in the dusk I was wondering what quality of lights we'd need, that's why I thought the EQ would be worth it but I've seen some light for $20 on Amazon that would probably serve our purpose. Riding around in residential neighborhoods would probably provide enough light from the street lights plus any lights we attach to the bike. Def no commuting in the rain, and as you know, rain in SoCal? Yeah as you know that doesn't happen often. Fenders seem more cosmetic touch in hot climate and I don't care for the look. Plus I read somewhere that the EQ Dynamo lights turn off when you stop, so if I'm at a stop light they won't illuminate because they are powered off of the hub moving...I don't like that.
Old 07-17-16, 11:27 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Fabian43
You made good points. The bikes will be used for casual daytime riding but since it's so hot here in summer I thought to take a ride around 7p but if we ride back home in the dusk I was wondering what quality of lights we'd need, that's why I thought the EQ would be worth it but I've seen some light for $20 on Amazon that would probably serve our purpose. Riding around in residential neighborhoods would probably provide enough light from the street lights plus any lights we attach to the bike. Def no commuting in the rain, and as you know, rain in SoCal? Yeah as you know that doesn't happen often. Fenders seem more cosmetic touch in hot climate and I don't care for the look. Plus I read somewhere that the EQ Dynamo lights turn off when you stop, so if I'm at a stop light they won't illuminate because they are powered off of the hub moving...I don't like that.
I don't know where you are, but I remember forgetting to turn on my car lights and driving for miles without noticing because the street lighting was that good in Orange county. Oooops. And frankly, I only put a small light on my handlebars at night because it was required by law in Huntington. I would never expect a light to make me safer. Theoretically yes, but I ride super defensively and assume that every motorist is texting 100% of the time. I had a quick release type that I could take off easily for daytime riding. Simpler is better. I'm a minimalist, so too many gadgets and doo-dads just annoys me.

I don't know if you'll be doing your own maintenance or not. But if you are in an area similar to OC, you might even rethink the 7-speed. I never needed more than one gear. Ever. Might be different where you are though.
Old 07-17-16, 12:06 PM
Fabian43

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I don't know where you are, but I remember forgetting to turn on my car lights and driving for miles without noticing because the street lighting was that good in Orange county. Oooops. And frankly, I only put a small light on my handlebars at night because it was required by law in Huntington. I would never expect a light to make me safer. Theoretically yes, but I ride super defensively and assume that every motorist is texting 100% of the time. I had a quick release type that I could take off easily for daytime riding. Simpler is better. I'm a minimalist, so too many gadgets and doo-dads just annoys me.

I don't know if you'll be doing your own maintenance or not. But if you are in an area similar to OC, you might even rethink the 7-speed. I never needed more than one gear. Ever. Might be different where you are though.
I live in Temecula so there's not many hills here. We do plan on taking the bikes to the beaches, Huntington & Mission Bay to ride so not many hills there either. I was considering the 3i for that benefit of internal but was wondering if the 3 gears would be enough. I figured 7 gears was more important than than dealing with a derailer. You think we'd be OK here with 3 gears?
Old 07-17-16, 12:39 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Fabian43
I live in Temecula so there's not many hills here. We do plan on taking the bikes to the beaches, Huntington & Mission Bay to ride so not many hills there either. I was considering the 3i for that benefit of internal but was wondering if the 3 gears would be enough. I figured 7 gears was more important than than dealing with a derailer. You think we'd be OK here with 3 gears?
Well, like I said, I am a minimalist. I hate cables and wires and derailleurs. I love the look and feel of a raw, simple, stripped down machine. But not everyone feels the same way.

I have a hill that I go down right when I depart my house. I's about a mile long and very steep. It's a great way to start my rides. I reach super fast speeds with no effort. Much fun. Then it's a flat nine miles to the beach (lake) and that area is all flat as well. I spend all day cruising around in the one gear ratio that suits my legs, heart, lungs, and the terrain. There is also a 76 mile bike trail here that is 99% flat. One gear is all I need. When I return home I have to walk (happily) my bike up that nasty hill. My love for simple bikes overshadows the need to be able to pedal up that one hill. But that's just my situation and preference.

If I lived in Laguna Beach or San Francisco I guess I'd be forced to ride a multi-speed bike.

Just be honest with yourself about your area and how much climbing you'll actually be doing and shop accordingly.

Just a couple FYIs. They are called "Cruisers" for a good reason.

1. Hills that look shallow and short in your car feel steeper and longer on a bike. A LOT. Be honest with yourself about your physical condition, your location, and your bike needs.

2. The riding position (feet forward) on the Electra bikes is probably the worst position (bio-mechanically) for ascending hills. **And climbing out-of-the-saddle is horribly awkward on a cruiser because of the handlebar position.** So if your area does dictate the need for a muti-speed bike, you might consider a hybrid type bike. Still comfortable, but more versatile than a cruiser.

**This is why I always tell people, "If you are buying a muti-speed cruiser, you are buying the wrong bike. If you really need multiple gears, cruiser frame geometry and riding position are wrong for what you are using the bike for."
Old 07-17-16, 09:12 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
You sound like you don't need permanently- mounted lights. Just get something inexpensive to clip/strap on when you expect to be out when the sun goes down.

Squidpuppet's views make sense, but I'd suggest the 7D. I live about 4 miles inland from the OC beaches (HB/NB) and its great to have lower gears to cruise along the MUPs, then switch to a higher gear when riding back inland towards home. The lower gears also work great when you have to pedal against the late afternoon breezes (ugh!). A 1 x 7 should work great (And is probably cheaper than the 3i). The decision is yours to make.

FWIW: My 'cruiser' is a early 1990s Trek rigid MTB converted to a 1x7 'cruiser', and it also doubles as an alternate commuter bicycle.

Last edited by skidder; 07-17-16 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 08:47 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by skidder
You sound like you don't need permanently- mounted lights. Just get something inexpensive to clip/strap on when you expect to be out when the sun goes down.

Squidpuppet's views make sense, but I'd suggest the 7D. I live about 4 miles inland from the OC beaches (HB/NB) and its great to have lower gears to cruise along the MUPs, then switch to a higher gear when riding back inland towards home. The lower gears also work great when you have to pedal against the late afternoon breezes (ugh!). A 1 x 7 should work great (And is probably cheaper than the 3i). The decision is yours to make.

FWIW: My 'cruiser' is a early 1990s Trek rigid MTB converted to a 1x7 'cruiser', and it also doubles as an alternate commuter bicycle.

A mountain bike with street tires is one of the most versatile machine possible.

You are right about the lower gears for fighting a headwind. I always just grunt harder.
Old 07-22-16, 09:09 AM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Light has gotten cheap. I believe for my 700 lumen USB I paid $40. As for your Townie, I had a straight 7D and loved it. I live in a hilly area and loved the low gearing. At the same time I could step on the higher gears and get a thrill. Helped me improve my fitness level so that when I did upgrade, I appreciated the increased performance on my current hybrid. Sold the Townie for a fair price. Good luck.
Old 07-28-16, 11:57 AM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I agree with LouB on lighting, the good ones have gotten so cheap it makes no sense not to get a good light. Anything over 250 lumens is great to be seen but more importantly see, even in good lighting conditions. Performance Bicycle has a 300 lumens on sale now for $35, don't go cheap, you'll be glad you didn't. Agree also with Squid, you don't need integrated unless you're doing a lot of night riding for hours.
Old 08-12-16, 06:08 AM
Lastplace29er

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I currently have a 3G 3 speed, given the choice I would have gone 7 speed. Hand brakes vs foot brake and the ability to back peddle when starting. Forget the lights and fenders, they are extra weight.
Old 08-27-16, 07:17 PM
johnu

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good choice. We love our Townies. I added larger tires, pedals etc. I went 21D's for the fork suspension (since discontinued). The 7 speed is perfect for flat land exploring.

Old 10-03-16, 11:26 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm late to the show, but wanted to comment.
- yes just use batter powered lights.

- you'd probably get by with the 3i, but the 7d is cheaper and has a broader range. A lower low gear and a higher high gear. 7d will also be cheaper at least if buying new.
I have a 3i and it has a kick back rear brake. Some don't like this.

- townies are not ideal for climbing hills, but they can. I have a 21d that I ride regularly uphill a few miles on my commute home and pass riders on road bikes and hybrids. Not all, I get passed too. It's all about the engine. Putting narrower/higher pressure tires help too.

Townies are great bikes. Enjoy.
Old 10-10-16, 01:32 PM
KeithNorCal

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good discussion, with lots of good points already. With regard to derailleur versus internally-geared hub, on cruiser bikes I personally prefer the clean look of internally-geared hubs since the original cruisers were single-speed bikes. I just don't like that derailleur hanging off the back. But I agree that 3 gears might not always be enough depending on the terrain. Have you considered the Townie 7i cruiser?