Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Best lbs in the Detroit area?

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 07-21-18, 01:23 PM
gameguy56

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm on the west side and it seems there aren't a lot of good shops around here? Or maybe there are some I'm overlooking?

Any recommendations would be awesome.
Old 07-22-18, 08:50 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
West side of what? Or what city?
Are you seeking service, parts, or bikes?
Old 07-23-18, 06:23 AM
gameguy56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
West side of what? Or what city?
Are you seeking service, parts, or bikes?
I'm in southwest oakland county. I mostly would be looking for a LBS that has lots of parts so I can do some building on my own.
Old 07-23-18, 06:50 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
If you want new parts, Tree Fort Bikes in Ypsilanti, SIC Transit in AA, REI, Performance, and Town & Country in Northville. Treet Fort and REI have great websites with store pickup.

Used parts? I may be able to assist on occasion. To the best of my knowledge, none of the coops have a good parts bin.
Old 07-27-18, 05:53 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I'd check out Allied Cycle in East Point on Gratiot. If you go back behind the counter, there is the Amazon store Bicycle Addiction. I've bought many parts from there. Also, I'd call before going. The person running bicycle addiction has some weird hours.
Old 07-30-18, 08:01 PM
gameguy56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about best for repair? I took my igh bike to town and country and it took them a week before they told me they don't have anyone that works on hubs. What a disappointment!

It's now at Sullivan continental.
Old 08-05-18, 06:40 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I'd recommend American Cycle & Fitness on Woodward north of 12 Mile.

They're a Trek dealer, but they do good service on other brands.
Timely and reasonable.

I have Specialized and Giant.
Old 08-06-18, 11:55 AM
supercharger

Bikes: Tarmac, Merckx,TCX, Bridgestone

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hometown Bicycle near Brighton has a very knowledgeable service manager. Not a lot of parts but good service and quick turnaround time.
Likes For supercharger:
Old 10-09-18, 07:30 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Can anyone recommend someone that builds wheels on the side?
Someone with a track record of properly packing bikes for shipment?
whar kind of igh are you trying to get serviced?
Old 10-10-18, 05:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

As a native Detroiter, I cut my cycling teeth in metro Detoit and Ann Arbor in the 1970’s. I was pretty naïve back then and bought my bikes at convenient places.

I do recall the Continental Bike Shop in Madison Heights as a premier one, home of the Wolverine Sports Club.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring…
I was dimly aware of a competitve racing culture even in Detroit in the 1970’s...though not interested in participating…

Detroit did produce some National Champions, and Olympian cyclists in that era, including Sheila Young [of the Wolverine Sports Club]who I found out later grew up in my neighborhood.
I even had attended a cycling seminar by Mike Walden of the Wolverine Sports Club, and was a charter member of the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society.
I recall that talk was a big deal, and well-attended on the Ann Arbor campus.

PS: To bring this post up to date, the shop is now known as Sullivan's Continental Bike Shop:

https://www.continentalbikes.com/

and is in Hazel Park (not Madison Heights as I mis-remembered).

I did note on the OP:
Originally Posted by gameguy56
I'm on the west side and it seems there aren't a lot of good shops around here? Or maybe there are some I'm overlooking?

Any recommendations would be awesome.
and the replies ranged from Brighton to Eastpointe. .

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-11-18 at 03:52 AM. Reason: addded PS
Old 04-25-19, 08:19 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Needs an update because at least in Ann Arbor, things have changed.

Two Wheel Tango closed and it's locations were taken over by Fraser Bikes, who are doing a good job.

Ypsilanti Cycles closed several years ago, unfortunately, one of my favorites!

Great Lakes Cycle and Fitness has closed, and seems no new shop is taking up the load. My favorite wheelbuilder was there, and I don't know his situation.

Sic Transit continues to grow from a place that built up used bikes from other used pikes, and has a pretty decently broad offering now.

Wheels in Motion, formerly Washtenaw Cycles (no change in ownership), has tripled it's space within the past few years. Mainly Trek, but a great crew in service. The owner is often present.

Sweet Bikes, on Ford Road about a mile east of I275 for maybe 8 years (?), has an owner who is teaching his young mechanics well, and has great knowledge and experience with tubulars - that's not very common! He rides a lot, primarily on tubulars. The shop also looks very old-school - lots of current product for sale at most levels, but child and family bikes in the service bays, as well as lightweights and MTBs. From my visits and conversations, I'd recommend giving them a chance.

There's one in downtown Ann Arbor that is only a few years old and due to location I'm not very familiar with them, Ann Arbor Local Bike Shop. But for any store without good parking to hold on for three years while city construction had their road and sidewalk under destruction, must be doing things well. I'd recommend giving them a chance.

These are all just my opinions, in some cases just based on brief visits, so .... YMMV!
Old 04-26-19, 10:04 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
For what it is worth, a friend that works at one of the former Fraiser bikes told me they divested of all their stores except the original one.

I like Ferndale bikes (and related Detroit store https://downtown-bikeshop.com/) as they are small and independent and have been dedicated to cycling for 3 generations (His dad built the Detroit Velodrome and Grandfather sent several Wolverines to the Olympics). I had them build my wheels. They are the closest thing to what Continental Bicycles used to be back in the day. They are younger and more down to earth than some of the more lycra focused corporate shops around me.
Old 04-26-19, 09:29 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
For what it is worth, a friend that works at one of the former Fraiser bikes told me they divested of all their stores except the original one.

I like Ferndale bikes (and related Detroit store https://downtown-bikeshop.com/) as they are small and independent and have been dedicated to cycling for 3 generations (His dad built the Detroit Velodrome and Grandfather sent several Wolverines to the Olympics). I had them build my wheels. They are the closest thing to what Continental Bicycles used to be back in the day. They are younger and more down to earth than some of the more lycra focused corporate shops around me.
Thanks for the info! Is one of those stores on John R? The old Continental Bikes?

Totally new news for me about Fraser! Sad to hear it.
Old 04-27-19, 02:54 AM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58

I like Ferndale bikes (and related Detroit store https://downtown-bikeshop.com/) as they are small and independent and have been dedicated to cycling for 3 generations (His dad built the Detroit Velodrome and Grandfather sent several Wolverines to the Olympics).

I had them build my wheels. They are the closest thing to what Continental Bicycles used to be back in the day. they are younger and more down to earth than some of the more lycra focused corporate shops around me.
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Thanks for the info! Is one of those stores on John R? The old Continental Bikes?

Totally new news for me about Fraser! Sad to hear it.
I had posted earlier on this thread:

As a native Detroiter, I cut my cycling teeth in metro Detoit and Ann Arbor in the 1970’s. I was pretty naïve back then and bought my bikes at convenient places.

I isdo recall the Continental Bike Shop in Madison Heights as a premier one, home of the Wolverine Sports Club.
I was dimly aware of a competitve racing culture even in Detroit in the 1970’s...though not interested in participating…

Detroit did produce some National Champions, and Olympian cyclists in that era, including Sheila Young [of the Wolverine Sports Club] who I found out later grew up in my neighborhood.
I even had attended a cycling seminar by Mike Walden of the Wolverine Sports Club, and I was a charter member of the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society.
I recall that talk was a big deal, and well-attended on the Ann Arbor campus.

PS: To bring this post up to date, the shop is now known as Sullivan's Continental Bike Shop:

https://www.continentalbikes.com/

and is in Hazel Park (not Madison Heights as I mis-remembered).
In the recent past, I found the Fraser Bike Shop near my mother's home in Fraser, MI, and it seemed a quality place, though I haven't visited it in a couple of years.

Other recollections for the 70's: I bought one of my early bikes from a shop in Berkley, either my first adult bike, a Schwinn Suburban, or a fancy Mercier road bike, but I'm not sure about the other shop. I also recall a place, I think called Smith's, in Dearborn.