Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

My bike died and then came to life again

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

My bike died and then came to life again

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 03:37 PM
Nelson37
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would agree that you . . . .

Last edited by BillyD; 08-19-18 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Insults
Old 08-17-18, 02:58 AM
enargins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
Have you read the manual that came with your bike and battery?
My bike didn't come with a manual -- just some quick instructions that were undescipherable. Had to watch an owner's YouTube video to see how to assemble it.

Read this: https://batteryuniversity.com/index...._ion_batteries
make sure you understand it.

And this: https://www.ebikes.ca/documents/B360...,Rev%201.1.pdf especially see section 5.4 - which is what you violated.
Thanks. Will do.

FYI: I am heavier than you, weight is not an excuse for not taking proper care of your bike and other tools.
And here I was thinking weight WAS an excuse for not taking proper care of my bike and other tools! Thanks for setting me straight!

Just out of curiosity, Nigel: when did I ever say or even hint that I thought weight was an excuse for not taking care of my bike? I'm curious.

I mean, first Nelson slams me for NOT mentioning my weight. So then we discuss my weight.

And then you tell me that weight is not an excuse for not taking care of my bike, though I never said or implied any such thing.

Just amazing....

Last edited by enargins; 08-17-18 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-17-18, 03:03 AM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nelson37
I would agree that you do not appear to have the necessary skillset to disassemble the battery safely.
FYI, I was never planning on disassembling the battery. I was just curious as to what one would look for if one did, is all. But you answered that here.
Old 08-17-18, 05:32 AM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*** UPDATE #2 ***

I went out and did the same route that I did with the previous update, at the same time of day and about the same temperature out. Battery was fully charged.

When I went up that hill, this time I left it in Power Level #1 and just downshifted. Motor started squeeling, as it always does when I go up hills, but got to the top of the hill without the bike dying.

Rode on level ground for half a minute, then started going downhill.

After going downhill for a few moments, I decided to try full throttle mode, just as a test. I put it into full throttle mode and applied the throttle. After about 5 seconds of full throttle while going downhill, the bike died.

After restarting it, it was fine the rest of the way, in Power Level #1 .

When I got home, I tested full throttle mode by holding up the rear wheel and applying the throttle. I kept the throttle on for about 30-40 seconds, and it was fine. Bike didn't die. Seemed to have full power.
Old 08-17-18, 07:32 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your battery is almost certainly in serious distress. Probe with a DVM after drain and after full charge is only certain way to tell. Care must be exercised.

Post results of test, then do what I told you to, or you may continue using your best guess.
Old 08-17-18, 07:51 AM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nelson37
Your battery is almost certainly in serious distress. Probe with a DVM after drain and after full charge is only certain way to tell. Care must be exercised.

Post results of test, then do what I told you to, or you may continue using your best guess.
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear the battery is kaput. Found another post where a guy had similar problems as me after leaving his bike in a shed all winter (bringing it in the house only if it was going to freeze). I guess these batteries don't like sitting idle -- especially given that they're cheap ones to begin with.

Very strange, though, that the battery died on full throttle when going downhill, but was fine on full throttle for longer period with wheel in air. Maybe the fact that the downhill was right after the uphill, so perhaps battery was stressed.

Either way, doesn't matter. I'm just going to consider this battery done for.
Old 08-17-18, 11:29 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Your battery has 10 groups of cells in parallel. One of those cell groups could be down on voltage, unbalanced. A battery exhibits the capacity of its weakest cell group. How does a battery get unbalanced? Running it hard will stress the weakest cells so they discharge lower than the others. Leaving it half charged for a long time will drain the cell group that powers the BMS.

How do you tell? You need a good voltmeter, A fully charged 36V battery comes off the charger at 42.0 volts. I would not worry about 41.8V for example. but 41.1 suggests a balance issue.

How to fix? A quality battery has a balance circuit in its BMS that will equalize cells, but it requires extended charging, often one-two days. I've seen some posts in other forums on whether the Ancheer batteries have balance circuits, but it cannot hurt to try it. Personally, I don't like to leave a battery on a charger after the LED's turn green, nor do I want to be sleeping while a battery is on charge, so I do extended charging with the battery outside.
Old 08-17-18, 11:58 PM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Your battery has 10 groups of cells in parallel. One of those cell groups could be down on voltage, unbalanced. A battery exhibits the capacity of its weakest cell group. How does a battery get unbalanced? Running it hard will stress the weakest cells so they discharge lower than the others. Leaving it half charged for a long time will drain the cell group that powers the BMS.

How do you tell? You need a good voltmeter, A fully charged 36V battery comes off the charger at 42.0 volts. I would not worry about 41.8V for example. but 41.1 suggests a balance issue.

How to fix? A quality battery has a balance circuit in its BMS that will equalize cells, but it requires extended charging, often one-two days. I've seen some posts in other forums on whether the Ancheer batteries have balance circuits, but it cannot hurt to try it. Personally, I don't like to leave a battery on a charger after the LED's turn green, nor do I want to be sleeping while a battery is on charge, so I do extended charging with the battery outside.
Thanks! I will try keeping it plugged in and see if it makes a difference. Either way it seems that I need a more powerful battery, based on advice from Nelson and others. But it would be good to get the battery working again in case I sell the bike.
Old 08-18-18, 08:54 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Nelson please leave this thread.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-18-18, 11:21 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Continue on, it should more civil in here.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-19-18, 12:49 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Not to promote another site (mods: please say if this is unacceptable), but there is a thread on endless sphere ("Overclocking Ancheer") that discusses an Ancheer 250w folding bike and things users have done to modify it.
Old 08-19-18, 12:52 PM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. Thanks, I'll check it out.