Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2019 Specialized Diverge Future Shock Problem

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-09-18, 10:29 AM
worstell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased a 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport last week. The Future Shock worked fine for about ten miles, but then would only travel about a third of the way through its 20mm of travel at which point it would stop abruptly. The shop took it apart and said that the lower part of the FS assembly seemed to be stuck. (Sorry that is vague, but i didn't inquire further). After one ride, the FS is malfunctioning in the same way again. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what was the fix?

By the way, FS issues have been raised in other threads. Those threads often turned into a pissing match over whether the FS is crap or not. I don't really care because I already I own a FS bike for better or worse. I'm just looking for a solution. So I respectfully ask that you keep your posts helpful and on target. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-18, 12:17 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I've got a 2018 and I haven't had any problems with the FS.

However, I'd be bringing my bike back into the dealer if anything like this cropped up, especially since you just had it in.

Sorry I can't really be of assistance, but I wish you luck in getting this sorted.
Old 10-09-18, 03:25 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
What I would do in your shoes....
If I paid $3K for a new bike, took it to the bike shop for repair right from the start and they couldn't fix it immediately, I would demand my money back.

I am a Specialized fan. I have read the other threads. I would never buy a FS anything.

I don't want to blame you, but if you read the other threada reflecting the issues associated with a binding FS previously and bought the bike anyway, then its on you.

In any event, you should demand your money back. At the very least, the shop should remove a FS from another new bike on the floor and replace yours while you wait. Let them get a new replacement from Specialized.

My thoughts.
Old 10-09-18, 06:06 PM
pdoege

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP, I think the bike shop has an installation issue. I rode a 2019 Diverge for several hundred miles this summer without issue.

Can you take it back and ask for a new assembly?
Old 10-09-18, 09:51 PM
fastfour

Bikes: '18 Specialized Diverge '19 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with the above on them removing it from a floor bike and making yours whole. I'm at just under 1500 miles on my Diverge w/ FS and have had no problems. Good luck and keep us up to date.
Old 10-09-18, 10:22 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anyone else think Future Shock is an ironic name

Given all the shocking issues you get in the future after you buy it.

Go back to the LBS get them to ride it not just put it on the stand both before and after they fix it. You bought a functioning bike so you deserve it, otherwise ask for your money back. If you bought it on a credit card you can file a CC claim.

Originally Posted by worstell
I purchased a 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport last week. The Future Shock worked fine for about ten miles, but then would only travel about a third of the way through its 20mm of travel at which point it would stop abruptly. The shop took it apart and said that the lower part of the FS assembly seemed to be stuck. (Sorry that is vague, but i didn't inquire further). After one ride, the FS is malfunctioning in the same way again. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what was the fix?

By the way, FS issues have been raised in other threads. Those threads often turned into a pissing match over whether the FS is crap or not. I don't really care because I already I own a FS bike for better or worse. I'm just looking for a solution. So I respectfully ask that you keep your posts helpful and on target. Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by Campag4life
What I would do in your shoes....
If I paid $3K for a new bike, took it to the bike shop for repair right from the start and they couldn't fix it immediately, I would demand my money back.

I am a Specialized fan. I have read the other threads. I would never buy a FS anything.

I don't want to blame you, but if you read the other threada reflecting the issues associated with a binding FS previously and bought the bike anyway, then its on you.

In any event, you should demand your money back. At the very least, the shop should remove a FS from another new bike on the floor and replace yours while you wait. Let them get a new replacement from Specialized.

My thoughts.
Old 10-10-18, 04:03 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pdoege
OP, I think the bike shop has an installation issue. I rode a 2019 Diverge for several hundred miles this summer without issue.

Can you take it back and ask for a new assembly?
Binding issue could very well be installation related. This would make it more unforgivable. He took the bike in, they serviced it after brand new and it left the shop with the same issue. This is pretty unforgivable really...whether the shock is at fault or the installation. Question is...does the shop have any idea what they are doing? So far, doesn't sound like it. Likely the shock could bind if the two competing screws on the side aren't torqued properly...two high a torque...or...very unequal torque on each side.
But it could be a shock issue. Shouldn't have left the shop uncorrected the first time is the point.
Old 10-10-18, 09:54 AM
hanknstein
Cranky

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 2018 Roubaix with FS and it started making some noises after I brought it in to the dealers 250mile tune up. They corrected it after I brought it back in and I have not had any issues in the close to 2000 miles since. I know my dealer has different mechanic, some of which on decent and some of which are not. So I would take it back, if they can't fix it, they should swap it out for a new one as it is still under all kinds of the warantees.
Old 10-25-18, 06:14 PM
Baldy1953

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I have a Roubaix Elite with the future shock. Approx 5000 miles on it and the FS is working like the day I bought it. I would guess an installation problem also. Take it to the LBS and have them fix it.
Old 10-25-18, 08:12 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by worstell

Was your LBS able to sort out your issues here?
Old 10-26-18, 08:07 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
A new bike should be just that, a new bike. I would always give the LBS a chance to make it right, but if this failed a 2nd time I think I'd be asking for my money back and let them deal with the manufacturer.
Old 10-27-18, 09:08 AM
raria

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree

But do you have any legal right to do so? We all would hope in lbs would fix things but if they don't what are your options?

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
A new bike should be just that, a new bike. I would always give the LBS a chance to make it right, but if this failed a 2nd time I think I'd be asking for my money back and let them deal with the manufacturer.
Old 10-27-18, 10:50 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
But do you have any legal right to do so? We all would hope in lbs would fix things but if they don't what are your options?
Small claims court. I would think the logic and argument that I had purchased a "new" product and that the LBS (where I purchased it) acknowledged it was a problem and was unable to correct the problem would pretty much be a slam dunk in small claims court.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a vindictive individual. I would give both the LBS and manufacturer more than enough time and consideration to resolve the problem. If they were unable to correct the problem I would then take action, never before. A "hole card" for me is that I am retired, and, taking the time to file the claim and show up in court is really no problem for me. One the other hand the defendant will need to take time off from work and answer the court in person. With that being a possibility, many business will capitulate before any proceedings begin.

I would also like to point out again, that the above would be a "last resort". In my lifetime I have been a small business owner several times and understand the burden and toll a court proceeding can inflict on a small business. I would not want to, and/or hope to, subject anyone or business to this unless I felt there was no other way to resolve my problem.
Old 10-27-18, 11:29 AM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a high opinion of Specialized bikes, and ride a Tarmac myself. But as others have already said, if your dealer can not resolve the problem then ask for your money back. You could also ask to speak with the Specialized representative for the area. A malfunctioning headset is just like a bike that goes into a wobble or shimmy when going downhill fast. Its just plain unacceptable today. No one should own a malfunctioning bike.
Old 10-27-18, 02:11 PM
tedder987

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I agree, the shop should make it right. Also the FS can be trouble free. My 2017 roubaix has 9907.7 miles (Strava) and no future shock problems at all. Still love it. I do have a creak that's either the rear wheel or bottom bracket that I can't chase down but after almost 10k miles thats on me not the manufacturer or the shop.