Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Parking Bikes at Fuel Pumps

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 12-29-18, 09:40 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

This article about ICE trucks parking in front of Tesla chargers gave me an idea: wouldn't it be fun to park your bike at the fuel pump while you get coffee inside or whatever you're there for? Maybe people could post pictures of their bikes with fuel pump nozzles hung on the luggage rack or frame as if they are filling up.
Another Tesla owner in Bristol, Tennessee spotted a Dodge Ram truck blocking a charging spot, with the charging cable mockingly attached to the bed.
https://www.businessinsider.com/truc...otests-2018-12
[quote]

Last edited by tandempower; 12-29-18 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 11:19 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Why behave like a jackass and provoke a confrontation ??...There are plenty of other places to park your bicycle.
Old 12-29-18, 12:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Blocking a fuel pump is very similar to blocking a charging station, although much more obvious.

Around here, all filling stations are monitored and manned. Doing such actions would surely provoke a confrontation, and might get you banned from the property, or charged with criminal trespassing.

I have used a bicycle to transport fuel for lawn mowers or tractors.
Old 12-29-18, 12:37 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why behave like a jackass and provoke a confrontation ??...There are plenty of other places to park your bicycle.
What that ^^ dude said.

Everybody is a tough guy; until they meet one.
Old 12-29-18, 01:36 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Sounds like a great way to get your bike vandalized. No thanks.
Old 12-29-18, 01:55 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Why behave like a jackass??..
The answer is obvious.
Old 12-29-18, 05:56 PM
tandempower

That's what I thought when I saw that people were parking pickup trucks in front of Tesla charging stations, but then I thought, "hey, they might be onto something." . . . especially the one that put the Tesla charging cord into the back of his truck like he was filling/charging up with it.
Old 12-29-18, 06:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by tandempower
That's what I thought when I saw that people were parking pickup trucks in front of Tesla charging stations, but then I thought, "hey, they might be onto something." . . . especially the one that put the Tesla charging cord into the back of his truck like he was filling/charging up with it.
The picture of that pick-up truck is probably staged for the purpose of taking a pic and making a joke out of it...There is a youtube video of a women trying to put gas into Tesla, I don't know if that video is real or staged, it's hard to believe that a person who is wealthy enough to drive a Tesla would be dumb enough to put gas into an electric vehicle.
Old 12-29-18, 07:28 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
It's actually not really very amusing. Idiots parking pick-ups in and blocking electric charging stations, if that is actually occuring, are idiots. Full stop.

Cyclists, were they tempted to emulate this moronic behaviour by blocking fuel pumps, would also be idiots, as are those who might suggest and approve of such an action, and should indeed be subject to whatever applicable legal penalties exist, as should the Pick-up idiots.

Full stop.
Old 12-29-18, 07:40 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
It's actually not really very amusing. Idiots parking pick-ups in and blocking electric charging stations, if that is actually occuring, are idiots. Full stop.

Cyclists, were they tempted to emulate this moronic behaviour by blocking fuel pumps, would also be idiots, as are those who might suggest and approve of such an action, and should indeed be subject to whatever applicable legal penalties exist, as should the Pick-up idiots.

Full stop.
Old 12-29-18, 09:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

It's actually not really very amusing. Idiots parking pick-ups in and blocking electric charging stations, if that is actually occuring, are idiots.
The picture of that pick-up truck is probably staged for the purpose of taking a pic and making a joke out of it...
I suspect that wolfchild's response is correct. The photo posted in the OP is probablyjust an update on the old candid camera routine of filming a clueless person looking for the engine under the front hood of a VW beetle. Good for laffs except for the clueless, humorless and/or self proclaimed victims of nefarious big meanies.
Old 12-29-18, 09:20 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I can't find a place to park at McDonalds because there is a Starbucks and cellphone store crammed between Mickey's and Burger King.

My revenge was that Starbucks drive thru is DEAD and you have to watch for lots of cars coming around from the two lanes at MickeyD's to park outside and come in
Old 12-30-18, 09:11 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Tesla owners can take care of themselves. As for the idiots playing with the charging cables , they'd better hope there's no stray voltage in the cables.
Old 12-30-18, 10:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by ironwood
Tesla owners can take care of themselves. As for the idiots playing with the charging cables , they'd better hope there's no stray voltage in the cables.
Tesla owners, as well as promoters of electrically powered vehicles and the owners of public charging stations also better hope there is no possible way for anyone to get hurt from stray current by handling charging cables.
Old 12-30-18, 10:42 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Tesla owners, as well as promoters of electrically powered vehicles and the owners of public charging stations also better hope there is no possible way for anyone to get hurt from stray current by handling charging cables.
Unless they program them with a non-lethal electric shock as a security precaution against people playing around with them . . .
Old 12-30-18, 10:46 AM
tandempower

It's interesting how many posts in this thread have simply criticized and blamed the people obstructing the charging stations, while in the other threads on scooter vandalism, there was more blaming of the scooters than the people actually doing the vandalism.

By that same logic, it's Tesla's fault people are blocking the charging stations because Tesla is taking up parking spots at filling stations.
Old 12-30-18, 12:03 PM
wolfchild
Banned

It's interesting how many posts in this thread have simply criticized and blamed the people obstructing the charging stations

Obstructing access to public facilities is not a good thing and shouldn't be tolerated...They deserve to be criticized because they're being altruistic and selfish...Why would somebody use their bicycle to obstruct a gas pump ??...What are they trying to prove ??
Old 12-30-18, 12:30 PM
badger1

Obstructing access to public facilities is not a good thing and shouldn't be tolerated...They deserve to be criticized because they're being altruistic and selfish...Why would somebody use their bicycle to obstruct a gas pump ??...What are they trying to prove ??
This, among other things.
Old 12-30-18, 12:45 PM
badger1

It's interesting how many posts in this thread have simply criticized and blamed the people obstructing the charging stations, while in the other threads on scooter vandalism, there was more blaming of the scooters than the people actually doing the vandalism.

By that same logic, it's Tesla's fault people are blocking the charging stations because Tesla is taking up parking spots at filling stations.
Actually no ... no "logic", at all, mainly because there are no salient points of comparison.

Other problems with your comparison aside, you are mischaracterizing the responses on those threads as per your usual practice. Most of the critical responses were directed toward the speculative adventurers who were, in most cases illegally, dumping electric share-scooters into certain cities/regions without due regard for how they would be received/used, without due regard for safety of both users and others, and without due regard for and in many cases in contravention of city/regional by-laws and regulations and of the effects of their dumping of these devices on both public and private property and facilities.

Such 'vandalism' as occurred was and is most certainly not organized, contrary to your usual over-heated fantasies, and in many instances amounts to nothing more than the usual human propensity toward laziness: use the thing, and leave it lying around wherever because no consequences will follow to the individual in question.

Any intentional damage to these contraptions was and is mainly the result of munipal authorities and/or individual property owners treating them, quite rightly, as litter/abandoned property and disposing of them accordingly.

None of this bears any relationship whatsoever to idiots intentionally blocking access to legal facilities -- either electric vehicle parking/charging stations or ICE vehicle petrol pumps -- on either public or private property. Whether those idiots are driving ICE trucks, or are riding bicycles, is entirely immaterial.

That said, great troll thread ... kudos
Old 12-30-18, 01:28 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

See https://www.bikeforums.net/20723319-post6.html
Old 12-30-18, 02:58 PM
tandempower

Actually no ... no "logic", at all, mainly because there are no salient points of comparison.

Other problems with your comparison aside, you are mischaracterizing the responses on those threads as per your usual practice. Most of the critical responses were directed toward the speculative adventurers who were, in most cases illegally, dumping electric share-scooters into certain cities/regions without due regard for how they would be received/used, without due regard for safety of both users and others, and without due regard for and in many cases in contravention of city/regional by-laws and regulations and of the effects of their dumping of these devices on both public and private property and facilities.

Such 'vandalism' as occurred was and is most certainly not organized, contrary to your usual over-heated fantasies, and in many instances amounts to nothing more than the usual human propensity toward laziness: use the thing, and leave it lying around wherever because no consequences will follow to the individual in question.

Any intentional damage to these contraptions was and is mainly the result of munipal authorities and/or individual property owners treating them, quite rightly, as litter/abandoned property and disposing of them accordingly.
I think you're missing the 'duh' factor here, which is that there is a cultural perception of status-quo, which leads certain people to attack new transportation forms in whatever way is convenient. With Teslas, it's blocking the charging station with a pickup, with scooters it was vandalizing them.

You can call it paranoid delusions but did you read the full article about the Tesla charging stations being blocked? They mentioned people tuning their pickup trucks to belch black smoke as they pass a Tesla, as harassment of EVs. Basically the message, "do-gooders stop trying to change the world for the better; if you try we will only do more of what you're trying to change." This is progress-hate pure and simple and it is part of the culture of status-quo defense and all the artistic creativity that goes into attacking change.

None of this bears any relationship whatsoever to idiots intentionally blocking access to legal facilities -- either electric vehicle parking/charging stations or ICE vehicle petrol pumps -- on either public or private property. Whether those idiots are driving ICE trucks, or are riding bicycles, is entirely immaterial.
No, and nothing about the status-quo bears any resemblance to anything else about it, yet the perception that certain things are established culturally protects them from harassment oriented toward new things that represent a deviation from status quo.

That said, great troll thread ... kudos
It sounds sarcastic, but considering how all your posts reflect the badgering promised by your username, I think you are actually complimenting me on what you perceive and thus revere as trolling.
Old 12-30-18, 05:16 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Unless they program them with a non-lethal electric shock as a security precaution against people playing around with them . . .
You're entering firearms territory, give it some rest please. And the chargers won't work unless ground is established and current flows. I doubt the plug is that sort of flimsy.
Old 12-30-18, 05:18 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Where is all this stuff going? It's our job not to out-absurd the absurd.
Old 12-30-18, 05:21 PM
badger1

I think you're missing the 'duh' factor here, which is that there is a cultural perception of status-quo, which leads certain people to attack new transportation forms in whatever way is convenient. With Teslas, it's blocking the charging station with a pickup, with scooters it was vandalizing them.

You can call it paranoid delusions but did you read the full article about the Tesla charging stations being blocked? They mentioned people tuning their pickup trucks to belch black smoke as they pass a Tesla, as harassment of EVs. Basically the message, "do-gooders stop trying to change the world for the better; if you try we will only do more of what you're trying to change." This is progress-hate pure and simple and it is part of the culture of status-quo defense and all the artistic creativity that goes into attacking change.

No, and nothing about the status-quo bears any resemblance to anything else about it, yet the perception that certain things are established culturally protects them from harassment oriented toward new things that represent a deviation from status quo.

It sounds sarcastic, but considering how all your posts reflect the badgering promised by your username, I think you are actually complimenting me on what you perceive and thus revere as trolling.
No, and no again. I am "missing" nothing; it is you who are reading into these kinds of incidents a significance they do not contain, and of course ignoring obvious objections to your 'theories' when such objections are made, and then trying to shift the ground.

Again: there is no proof, at all, that anything approaching 'vandalism' and certainly not orchestrated vandalism (which has been your contention) was and is involved with individuals leaving unwanted 'scooters' lying around, thrown in back alleys, whatever. Everything else aside, there was and is nothing to 'vandalize': certain outfits (Bird; Lime; whatever) dumped a bunch of devices into cities, in many cases in contravention of local by-laws and regulations. Effectively, said 'scooters' constituted abandoned property: they were and are junk, and to be disposed of properly. We have not been afflicted with these stupid objects here in my city, but if we were, and if one or more were left abandoned on my property, I would not hesitate to break 'em up as best I could, remove the batteries for correct and environmentally-responsible disposal, and leave the rest out for garbage collection.

Further, idiots rolling coal on EV drivers, or blocking legally-constituted EV parking/charging stations are ... idiots. There is, again, no 'organization' here, aside from idiots imitating idiots. Similarly, idiot cyclists who would block legally-constituted petrol pumps in order to prevent ICE drivers from refuelling would be ... idiots. So too would be anyone who suggested to cyclists that they do so. In both cases, such idiots should be prosecuted to the extent that they are in violation of applicable law, either criminal or civil or both.

Finally, no ... I do not revere 'trolling'. In fact, I rather despise it. And btw, my user name has nothing whatsoever to do with 'badgering'; but if you choose to refer to my calling nonsense 'nonsense' when I encounter it, as in your 'thoughts' in this troll thread, as 'trolling' or 'badgering', hey ... fill yer boots! Keeps things lively in the ol' LCF sub-forum, no?
Old 12-30-18, 05:25 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

This is Advocacy & Safety, Arguments & Suspicions is on another website. Also not Aggravations & Schemes. Not the BF Way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.