Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Planning to Ride in Bike Florida March/April 2019?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-29-18, 06:15 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I enjoy doing week long supported tours. It’s fun riding in different areas of the US, eating at different restaurants and meeting like minded cyclists. I have all the camping gear and like sleeping outdoors.

I’m thinking that back to back days of riding might be good hip therapy even though it’s pretty flat. Who knows, maybe there will be time spent suffering in some wind.

Anyone riding or familiar with the Brooksville and Inverness areas?

https://bikeflorida.org/spring-tour/
Old 12-30-18, 09:17 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
That ride looks like it would be quite a bit of fun. The area around there is mostly flat. The Withlacoochee Trail has a ride and the trail is nice and well taken care of. It's halfway point is at the trailhead in Inverness and you go South going by Brooksville. From Inverness to the end and back is right at 64 miles. Have done it twice. The only climb is the overpass going over SR 50 in Brooksville. Not bad at all. That time of year, it should not be too hot .
Old 12-31-18, 06:09 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Planning to travel there in late Feb/early March to do some gravel riding, one or two organized rides - there are quite a few around that time - and some trails. Withlacoochee looks good. What about Gen’l Van Fleet and Flagler trails?

I’d also be tent camping and doing day rides. Wondering if it’s worth going all the way down to the Everglades to camp and ride - if anyone has any experience or thoughts on that. I try to steer clear of campgrounds that are mostly designed for RVs.
Old 12-31-18, 07:33 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
First off we would welcome you to the sunshine state. The riding around here Is great..... I don't know if you guys know that the Good Neighbor Trail is completed to the Withlacoochee. It was finished the fall and connects around the Croom Road area so it you can ride right into Brooksville ending at the old train station downtown. Also there is a new trail out of Ocala, Marjorie Harris Carr Cross Florida Greenway (Santos Trailhead to CR 200) is about 15 miles long has a few hills and very enjoyable during the week (stay off on weekends though). For gravel riding Santos out of Ocala offers some of the best single track riding in the country. The Van Fleet is really rural, flat and straight with one turn about half way. My wife and I enjoy it but it's not for everyone. Come on down you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-31-18, 04:20 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize it was near where I live. Be prepared for FLAT riding. I'll keep it in mind.
If I ride I'll be riding the Lynskey in the slow group with the other 74 y/o and older folks.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-05-19, 10:17 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Planning to ride the Withlacoochee Trail in late March during the Clean Air Ride. The ride is just days before my 65th birthday, so if I'm injured, maybe it'll be covered by Medicare!! :-)
Old 01-06-19, 06:57 PM
RonH
Life is good

I was looking at the routes for the Inverness segments and at least one day is spent on SR44 for about 5 miles. I won't be doing that . The speed limit on that road is 60mph. I rode all over Atlanta for 12 years and never got hit. Two years after I moved to FL I got T-boned by someone in a convertible who claimed to be a cyclist. So now I stick to the bike trails.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-06-19, 06:58 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by FloridaDave
Planning to ride the Withlacoochee Trail in late March during the Clean Air Ride. The ride is just days before my 65th birthday, so if I'm injured, maybe it'll be covered by Medicare!! :-)
Is this your first Clean Air ride? If so you can expect 500-800 riders depending on the weather.

Old 01-06-19, 07:47 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Is this your first Clean Air ride? If so you can expect 500-800 riders depending on the weather.
It will be my first Clean Air ride. I had no idea that many riders would participate -- that's gonna be a crowded rail trail!! I ride the West Orange Trail in Winter Garden a lot and can't imagine that volume of riders. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-07-19, 05:59 PM
RonH
Life is good

Fortunately it isn't a mass start. The riders head out between about 7AM and 8:30AM. Have fun.

Old 01-23-19, 04:30 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Wow, I had no idea it was that big. My wife and I are signed up to do the 100, and it’s our first century ride.
We usually start at Ridge Manor and go north, and love the Withlacoochee trail!
Old 01-23-19, 09:36 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
the Van Fleet trail is rail trail and it's nice, I ride it
Old 01-27-19, 10:38 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Someone posted on FB that they typically have about 600 riders doing Bike Florida. That's a nice number. I've done tours with groups 300-2000+ riders. The lines are shorter with fewer people!!!