Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Raleigh Technium

Old 02-01-19, 02:40 PM
tcsthompson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Technium

Any idea what model and year this bike is? Also what it’s worth? Thinking about buying it from a neighbor and can’t find much on it. I cant post a photo for some reason. If anyone knows anything about Techniums maybe I can DM a photo?

Last edited by tcsthompson; 02-01-19 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 05:28 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by tcsthompson
Any idea what model and year this bike is? Also what it’s worth? Thinking about buying it from a neighbor and can’t find much on it. I cant post a photo for some reason. If anyone knows anything about Techniums maybe I can DM a photo?
Good Morning and welcome to the forums. Technium was a series of bikes with a bonded frame, steel tubes aluminum lugs and were basic models up to professional models.

Tell us us more about your bike, what brand of model of components does it have, ie shimano Exage Sport, or Suntour Ceclone or Dia Comoe brakes. If you send me good pics of the bike with some good closer pics of the components, not necessarily the handle bars, seat and tires, I’ll be happy to post them, BianchiGirLL@yahoo.com

value greatly depends on condition. You could have a top of the line bike that someone rode a lot but never cared for and since everything is worn out it is not worth what it could be. Location is also important, bike sales are slow most places this time of year.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-02-19, 01:16 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
@Bianchigirll I think you meant aluminum tubes steel lugs.
Old 02-02-19, 03:17 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
https://www.bmxonline.com/raleigh-technium-bike/

this link is helpful. I owned a 480 and sold it but wish I hadn't sometimes.
Old 02-02-19, 08:54 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'm seeing an entry level, sports/touring model with Shimano Light Action and Z-series derailleurs, and dropout eyelets. Triple crankset is probaly not OEM. So, circa 1987-1989 and possibly a Technium 460. Value, in ready to ride condition ~$100-$125. Photo assist....

Last edited by T-Mar; 02-02-19 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-03-19, 01:15 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I love mine. It's lighter than comparable steel bikes. Fast and responsive. Maybe $100 in good shape $200 - $250 in fine condition.

Raleigh Technium converted to upright city bike
Old 02-04-19, 09:45 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I had an ‘89 PRE (though my son may give it back) that I enjoyed for a few seasons. If it fits you, it’s a decent bike. I put a bunch of fun miles on mine.
Old 02-08-19, 09:23 PM
vwgto

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two white 91 Olympians that have been sitting for a long time - - given to me by an older couple who bought new.. The tires are shot, components are original, well used - - but not abused. Thoughts on if these are worth getting road worthy again? From a resale perspective, I am not sure there is much upside after tires/tubes and a very basic tune-up.
Old 02-09-19, 07:06 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by vwgto
I have two white 91 Olympians that have been sitting for a long time - - given to me by an older couple who bought new.. The tires are shot, components are original, well used - - but not abused. Thoughts on if these are worth getting road worthy again? From a resale perspective, I am not sure there is much upside after tires/tubes and a very basic tune-up.
Unless you are super resourceful, no, there is no upside.

If you do all the work yourself, have a pile of parts and consumables, and want to keep them, OK. If you are doing it to sell, you are better off just washing the bike, airing up the tires, and selling as is. As a J O B, refurbishing a lower end bike may net you $2 per hour or less. And then you have the headache of dealing with tire kickers and no shows. If you enjoy wrenching on bikes, its better to just volunteer at s co-op if you have one in your area!!

In the fix to resell arena, you are better off finding a $500 project that refurbished could bring $1000 than picking up a free project, refurbishing and selling for $100. Free bikes often cost more to refurbish as they can need chain, BB, freewheel or cassette, tires, tubes, pedals, saddles, etc. Meanwhile, a higher end bike, typically the saddle and pedals are fine, sometimes consumables are OK, etc.I have LOST money refurbishing a FREE bike. Never again!

And if you have to pay retail for parts and consumables, forget it.

When you approach a project, do an estimate. What am I paying for the bike? What can I sell it for refurbished? What consumables will it take (in dollars)? How many hours? What margin do I have for surprises? A margin for surprises is something I have learned the hard way. What if the wheel cones are bad? How about the bottom bracket? Learn to inspect everything you can up front to reduce surprises (you should NEVER be surprised by a stuck seat post or stem, that just means you didn't check). If you don't have a good feel for the costs and pricing in your market, forget it.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-09-19 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 10:40 AM
vwgto

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Unless you are super resourceful, no, there is no upside.

If you do all the work yourself, have a pile of parts and consumables, and want to keep them, OK. If you are doing it to sell, you are better off just washing the bike, airing up the tires, and selling as is. As a J O B, refurbishing a lower end bike may net you $2 per hour or less. And then you have the headache of dealing with tire kickers and no shows. If you enjoy wrenching on bikes, its better to just volunteer at s co-op if you have one in your area!!

In the fix to resell arena, you are better off finding a $500 project that refurbished could bring $1000 than picking up a free project, refurbishing and selling for $100. Free bikes often cost more to refurbish as they can need chain, BB, freewheel or cassette, tires, tubes, pedals, saddles, etc. Meanwhile, a higher end bike, typically the saddle and pedals are fine, sometimes consumables are OK, etc.I have LOST money refurbishing a FREE bike. Never again!

And if you have to pay retail for parts and consumables, forget it.

When you approach a project, do an estimate. What am I paying for the bike? What can I sell it for refurbished? What consumables will it take (in dollars)? How many hours? What margin do I have for surprises? A margin for surprises is something I have learned the hard way. What if the wheel cones are bad? How about the bottom bracket? Learn to inspect everything you can up front to reduce surprises (you should NEVER be surprised by a stuck seat post or stem, that just means you didn't check). If you don't have a good feel for the costs and pricing in your market, forget it.
Excellent feedback, thanks. I’ll test the basics and, if things work, will get some tires on the bikes just to keep them out of the landfill. If not viable, I suppose there are some parts to pull off.
Old 02-09-19, 11:10 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by dweenk
@Bianchigirll I think you meant aluminum tubes steel lugs.
I always thought it was the other way. Good thing I never sold them!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-11-19, 08:26 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
And dont worry about the glue holding the frame together. Mine never had a problem with it. It’s of aircraft strength.
Old 02-16-19, 07:59 PM
Betil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Barn find" sorta?

I just acquired a few (3 frames+ components for 2)Techniums .A friend needed help cleaning out a storage unitunit, but wasn't able to pay anyone .I wasn't going to volunteer until she mentioned that there were bikes and tools that I could have .Damn she knows how to get to me .Well you can guess the rest. But the bikes are these Techniums ! The frame only is a basic 440 in good shape. But the other 2 are almost complete bikes that I am trying to get a little more info (year ,prominence ,etc ..? )First one is Comp Tri-lite, I believe , w/ dia-compe brakes , Suntour shifters, Araya rims, Sakai SR cranks , stem , and bars.
Second one just says TEAM on the forks .Full Shimano 600 tricolor group set, Brooks saddle , Sakae Randnner road Champion drop bars, and Sakae stem .I have minimal knowledge about these and am having a hard time finding anything that matches online . So, ANY info from this vast pool of knowledge would be sincerely appreciated .THANKS .
DID I SCORE ? Storage unit was pretty dirty and full of stuff .
Old 02-16-19, 09:41 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Betil
I just acquired a few (3 frames+ components for 2)Techniums .A friend needed help cleaning out a storage unitunit, but wasn't able to pay anyone .I wasn't going to volunteer until she mentioned that there were bikes and tools that I could have .Damn she knows how to get to me .Well you can guess the rest. But the bikes are these Techniums ! The frame only is a basic 440 in good shape. But the other 2 are almost complete bikes that I am trying to get a little more info (year ,prominence ,etc ..? )First one is Comp Tri-lite, I believe , w/ dia-compe brakes , Suntour shifters, Araya rims, Sakai SR cranks , stem , and bars.
Second one just says TEAM on the forks .Full Shimano 600 tricolor group set, Brooks saddle , Sakae Randnner road Champion drop bars, and Sakae stem .I have minimal knowledge about these and am having a hard time finding anything that matches online . So, ANY info from this vast pool of knowledge would be sincerely appreciated .THANKS .
sounds like you made out well.the Team is the higher spec bike.
Old 02-19-19, 07:32 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Betil
Sounds like you might owe your friend a nice dinner. Any pics?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-19-19, 01:49 PM
Betil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Sounds like you might owe your friend a nice dinner. Any pics?
Pics. comming soon. In the process of cleaning them. Seems they have been sitting in storage for 20+yrs .
I've seen Techniums before, but these don't have the ugly obnoxious 80's paint scheme that I'm familiar with.
Old 02-19-19, 10:24 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
There were some interesting bikes produced under the Technium brand.