Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Bike The Drive: Lake Shore Drive

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 08:13 PM
subsage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This event is coming up soon (bikethedrive.org). I'm surprised there's not a lot of talk about this. I've never done it but thinking about doing it this year.

Anyone done it? Is it worth it? Any first time tips?
Old 05-03-19, 04:56 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by subsage
This event is coming up soon (bikethedrive.org). I'm surprised there's not a lot of talk about this. I've never done it but thinking about doing it this year.

Anyone done it? Is it worth it? Any first time tips?
I had to go to the website, with the question, is that Lakeshore Drive in Grosse Pointe, MI (very scenic and ritzy road) or Lakeshore "Drive" in Chicago (a scenic bike virtual "freeway") or elsewhere in the Great Lakes Region?...Chicago.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Even though I’m a Michigan native, I have only visited Chicago very briefly as an adult, and only once for an extended visit. I stayed in Lincoln Park and rented a bike and did a few early morning rides through the neighborhood.

It was a pleasant surprise when I came upon Wrigley Field (that’s the old park of the Cubs, right?) I happen to live near the similar historic Fenway Park in Boston.

I also rode the Lakeshore Bike Path, and I was astounded at how wide and busy it was. Boston’s MUPs, like the City itself are smaller and “quaint.”
Old 05-08-19, 05:00 PM
Biker Jo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done it about five or six times. I would recommend it if you've never done it. But be forewarned, it's a very popular ride, and it attracts both novices and experienced riders. It also can get very congested around the downtown/Grant Park area.
Old 05-08-19, 05:39 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Even though I’m a Michigan native, I have only visited Chicago very briefly as an adult, and only once for an extended visit. I stayed in Lincoln Park and rented a bike and did a few early morning rides through the neighborhood.

It was a pleasant surprise when I came upon Wrigley Field (that’s the old park of the Cubs, right?) I happen to live near the similar historic Fenway Park in Boston.

I also rode the Lakeshore Bike Path, and I was astounded at how wide and busy it was. Boston’s MUPs, like the City itself are smaller and “quaint.”
BTW, Boston has a similar municipal cycling event, 15th Annual Hub on Wheels, which actually uses roadways, including a limited–access road closed off to cars for the event. The longest ride actually circles the perimeter of the city.

Then there is the recently-held 5 Boro Tour in New York City, and in Detroit Open Streets Detroit and Slow Roll (links).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-08-19 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-24-19, 10:46 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I've never done it. The appeal of getting up that early to go to a place that is so far away from everything with a big crowd of people just isn't there.
Old 05-25-19, 05:00 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
I've never done it. The Lakefront Trail runs right next to Lake Shore Drive, so I can basically do the same ride anytime I want, for free to boot.