Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

SS spacer kits?

Old 05-16-19, 09:52 PM
zanq

Bikes: Tumbleweed Prospector 29+, 1991 Schwinn High Plains resto-mod, 1998 Schwinn Homegrown resto-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SS spacer kits?

I have been running a Nashbar steel CX bike as a SS with the 9-sp rear wheel that came with the bike + Surly Singlator and have been happy with it. I have been using cassette spacers with a cog out of a cassette, but would like to go with a little more formal setup with a thicker cog (to avoid digging into/damaging the hub body).

I see that I have a few options with SS spacer kits:
  • Chris King - Looks like they still make these; King Cog with spacers for $120.
  • Surly - Spacer kit then have to buy a Surly cog separately - $70-80 for spacers and cog.
  • Wheels Mfg. - They have a tapered kit that looks quite nice (cog is included but looks to be skinny - $35) and a kit that is just spacers ($25)
The King kit would be sweet but hard to justify the cost. I'm deciding between a Surly setup and the offerings from Wheels Mfg. Does anyone have any experience with both and can comment?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-19, 01:27 PM
Riv-Lantis

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check SS, Surly Straggler, Surly Steamroller fixed, Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Been running the Surly spacers/cog on my Cross-Check for about 6 years now on a wheel built up on XT hubs. No issues at all in many thousands of commuting and fitness riding miles.
Old 05-20-19, 06:51 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I really liked my Surly cogs when I ran mountain bike as a single speed. I DIYed the spacers for my bike but I like the Wheels Mfg spacer kit. No need to pay more than necessary for some spacers.
Old 05-20-19, 08:17 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Go with the wheels mfg or the plain spacer kit, the money saved could be used on a good SS cog. No real need to go overboard and pay 120 for spacers.
Old 05-22-19, 07:06 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Probably cost more than a basic kit - but the Endless fibonacci spacer kit is great. That's what I used on my 10s -> singlespeed mtb conversion,.
Old 05-30-19, 08:15 AM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I've never seen what advantage a kit has over a stack of cassette spacers.

I've used copper pipe cut to fit each side of the cog - almost any type of pipe will work, the forces on the spacer aren't significant.

If your freehub body is steel, which it is on many cheaper hubs, a cassette cog won't dig in.