Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bars. Soma Condor 2 - VO Nouveau Rando Tried them?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 09:15 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts

I am looking for some new bars for a 1984 Trek 620 touring bike and am interested in some of the new designs. I want a bar that encourages riding in the drops as an option - relatively short reach and drop are appealing. I set the bar tops on my bikes at or a little below the level of the seat.

Has anyone tried these?

The Condor 2 is an update of the original Condor. Soma straightened and flattened the top of the bar - kept the up-sweep and short drop.

Thanks.

https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...or-2-handlebar

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...neur-handlebar

Old 06-17-19, 02:58 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
no experience with those, but I ride and like similar shallow drop bars like the salsa cowbells, which also have a slight flare out, which i really like a lot also.

being able to comfortably ride in the drops due to the shallow drop is a real advantage, and proper stem choice can make this a real riding option for big headwinds, which is a real help.
Old 06-17-19, 03:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
top one looks like a compensation for cutting the fork steerer too short..

I used different bars than either , because I used bar end shifters old Modolo brake levers..

cable out of the top .. Nitto noodle 48 wide , , Though my tour was on randonneur bars, split for packing .

buy locally and you can hold them in your hands before paying for them..

since you don't know what you like . yet ..
Old 06-17-19, 03:37 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
I am looking for some new bars for a 1984 Trek 620 touring bike and am interested in some of the new designs. I want a bar that encourages riding in the drops as an option - relatively short reach and drop are appealing. I set the bar tops on my bikes at or a little below the level of the seat.
The Soma bar (50mm rise) is clearly intended for bikes with inadequate steerer tube length, a situation arising with older bicyclists and older threaded headset bikes. You can fit a more std drop bar by using a threaded to threadless adapter/extender, which gives you more component options. Also you will need a suitable stem, likely one to fit a 31.8mm handlebar.

I've used VO products before, they are usually good. Recently I used this Dimension short reach/drop bar, it is relatively inexpensive ($45) and available from any QBP-affiliated bike shop.

https://www.modernbike.com/dimension...rop-handlebars

Last edited by seeker333; 06-17-19 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 08:06 PM
wnylogo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently have the original Condors on my Specialized Ruby. Would love to be able to swap with this one. The swept back tops on the original has the effect of making the bars feel more narrow because of the limited hand placements. I bought it for my RM Sherpa, but needed more room, so on the Ruby it went. I do like it a lot though. The rise is welcomed for me and the drops are shallow enough to be comfortable. I am able to stay tucked down longer.
Old 06-18-19, 10:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
If you set your bars a little below saddle height, I'm not sure what the condors bars will do for you. They would help if you need to get bars up high and dont want to use a gaudy Technomic stem.

The VO looks nice. Not light, not cheap, but seems like good modern geometry.
Old 10-03-19, 09:37 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by wnylogo
I currently have the original Condors on my Specialized Ruby. Would love to be able to swap with this one. The swept back tops on the original has the effect of making the bars feel more narrow because of the limited hand placements. I bought it for my RM Sherpa, but needed more room, so on the Ruby it went. I do like it a lot though. The rise is welcomed for me and the drops are shallow enough to be comfortable. I am able to stay tucked down longer.
I know this is a fairly old thread, but I just installed the Condor 2 on my wife's Ruby. It's probably not the most elegant solution for raising the handlebar, but with a carbon steer tube, I wasn't going to risk using a stem extender. We're now in our mid-60s, so this seems to be a decent remedy for our aging backs.....

Old 10-03-19, 03:10 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_pridx
I know this is a fairly old thread, but I just installed the Condor 2 on my wife's Ruby. It's probably not the most elegant solution for raising the handlebar, but with a carbon steer tube, I wasn't going to risk using a stem extender. We're now in our mid-60s, so this seems to be a decent remedy for our aging backs.....

Thanks. I have re-learned to like riding the drops and am always looking for the right bar/stem combo. The Condor 2's are a good choice for threadless steerer tubes. With threaded steerers a quill stem makes raising the bars easier.

I've looked at many bars and have decided to try the Salsa Cowchippers - wide with a bit of flare and moderate drop - for use with a threaded set-up.
Likes For jlaw:
Old 10-03-19, 03:24 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Of course, the only reason we went with the Condor 2 was because my wife was hoping to find more of an upright position on her Ruby. Both of us ride quite often on the drops, so that was one feature that needed to remain.. We're also converting the gearing from a 12-27t cassette to an 11-32t. Both mods should make the bike considerably more comfortable for her to ride.
Old 10-03-19, 04:47 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_pridx
Of course, the only reason we went with the Condor 2 was because my wife was hoping to find more of an upright position on her Ruby. Both of us ride quite often on the drops, so that was one feature that needed to remain.. We're also converting the gearing from a 12-27t cassette to an 11-32t. Both mods should make the bike considerably more comfortable for her to ride.
absolutely on all accounts. These drops "height" in realtion to seat is probably a fair amount higher than on my touring bike, but the bottom line is that who cares about looks and all that rigamarole, if it works and it makes riding more enjoyable and comfortable, thats all that matters.
Same with gearing. Im totally sold on lower gearing, and while a 12-27 is great, a 32 is easier, so along with a better bar position means simply more enjhoyment riding, hence more riding, hence better fitness and while you two are maybe 10 years older than I am, being active is the whole key here, so if it slash these changes work, fantastic is all I can say.
Likes For djb: