Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Adjusting Disc Brakes

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Adjusting Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-05, 08:48 PM
dirtjumper66
Rider From The Flats

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adjusting Disc Brakes

I just bought a 2005 Giant Yukon(black) sweet bike but I am having trouble adjusting the disc brakes properly. This is my first bike with disc brakes that are any good and I can't seem to get the brakes tight enough so that it isn't very hard to make them lock up but loose enough so the pads don't rub against the disc. They are Hayes GX-2 Mechanical if that helps any.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-05, 09:05 PM
nodnerb

Bikes: 2022 Marin Team Marin 2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Mine were the same after many many tunings. I just couldn't get them to lock up at all no matter how well they were set up.
Old 10-25-05, 09:15 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My Hayes mechs work fine... I've found that bringing in the non-fixed pad a bit by sliding the clamp up the cable a hair really makes them feel a lot better, it seems that there is a little play at the bottom of the movement of the arm the cable attaches to. Once I got them set up, all I have had to do is bring the fixed pad in a bit every so often.

With discs , as any other brake, its important that both pads contact the disc at about the same point so you're not "pushing" the disc one way or another. If it is pushing the disc, your brakes will feel mushy, just like a rim brake that isn't contacting the rim at the same time.
Old 10-25-05, 10:09 PM
dirtjumper66
Rider From The Flats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea that is kinda how my brakes feel when i press the brakes relatively hard. I sometimes also watch the disc move when i press the brake. like the part of the disc that gets the most contact moves until it hits the fixed pad. And then when i move the fixed pad up a little closer the disc rubs against it.
Old 10-25-05, 10:26 PM
Chowmander218

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have just got a raleigh m40dx and the disk breaks rub against the pad. is that a bad thing? how can I fix it?
Old 10-25-05, 10:29 PM
[bEn]
Just Ride

Bikes: 2005 Giant Yukon with the works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the exact same bike and the exact same brakes. I recently just replace the rear pads since they wore down and they lost their stopping power. The front still works fine. I downloaded the Hayes MX-2/GX-2 disc brake manual from the Hayes website. If you want it...here it is...https://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/support_downloads.shtml
Old 10-25-05, 10:32 PM
dirtjumper66
Rider From The Flats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks ill see if this helps... hopefully it isnt a very big file i got dial up.
Old 10-25-05, 11:43 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When in doubt follow the instructions. They're well worth the wait
Old 10-26-05, 09:52 AM
dirtjumper66
Rider From The Flats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea i have the manual but it doesnt say how to adjust the brakes its the same one from hayes as the one i got with the bike and it doesnt really say how to adjust them
Old 10-26-05, 10:47 AM
Quadzone.com
-- TREK RIDER --

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adjust the caliper so that it's centered over the rotor properly and not rubbing one side or the other. 2 allen bolts hold it in place, takes about 2 minutes to fix. Pull some extra cable thru while your down there to help reduce pulling the lever to the bars. Total project should take about 5 minutes or 1 beer...lol
Old 10-26-05, 05:32 PM
dirtjumper66
Rider From The Flats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea sorry for anyone who posted tips as this all did not workbecause my rotor is bent. i was also wondering: do you guys think i should try and bend the rotor back myself or take it to LBS and get another rotor or get them to try and bend it straight?
Old 10-26-05, 05:34 PM
CRG
Roll Tide

Bikes: 06 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc and 06 Felt F90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy crap, take it back. DO NOT TRY TO BEND IT YOURSELF
Old 10-26-05, 05:38 PM
dirtjumper66
Rider From The Flats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing is, is that it is only bent just enought to make the brakes crap(not very much) and i only go to the city that i got it from like once every month but i guess winter is coming soon. Also i was wondering if i keep using the back brake will the bend get worse or would it be safe to ride with a bent rotor for a while.
Old 10-26-05, 08:44 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
When I go fast the rotor makes a ringing noise because of the rubbing with the part that moves to clamp it. Does this happen to anyone else?
Old 10-26-05, 09:14 PM
justsomeguy
Union of the Cow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Razrcide
Holy crap, take it back. DO NOT TRY TO BEND IT YOURSELF
Why not?

It's done all of the time.
Old 10-26-05, 09:20 PM
clifford_bgrddg
im not lazy, im efficient

Bikes: 2005 KHS Alite, (year unknown) Lake, early 90's Diamond Back BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as long as the rotor isnt completely screwed up, like kinked or something, tweeking it should be fine. it sounds like its just untrue. riding an untrue is fine. the lost energy only makes ur legs stronger...i trued my rotor by bending the parts where the rotor touches the pads. wasnt hard, just tooked for-f***ing-ever. good luck bro
Old 10-27-05, 01:37 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtjumper66
Yea i have the manual but it doesnt say how to adjust the brakes its the same one from hayes as the one i got with the bike and it doesnt really say how to adjust them
No you need to go to the website and download them.
https://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/MX...EnglishWeb.pdf
3. Mount the caliper to the frame or fork adapter using (2) M6 x 1.0 x 18.4mm long mount bolts and (2) mount washers. Snug the bolts, but leave
them loose enough so that the MX-2 Mechanical brake will move on its slots
That means you need to loosen the bolts in the first place

5. Set lever reach adjustment per the lever manufacturers instructions. Doing this first prevents this adjustment from affecting other adjustments.
6. Loosen the cable fixing bolt on the caliper and spin the lever adjusting barrel down tight to the closed position.
7. Install the cable through its housing and through the cable anchor screw and washer.
8. Seat the cable housing snugly at the brake lever and the brake.
9. Pull the cable wire tight and tighten the cable anchor screw to 55 in-lbs of torque
10. Trim the excess cable and crimp a cable end on the end of the trimmed cable. Probably won't have to do this
11. Squeeze and hold the brake lever. While holding the brake lever, shake the mechanical brake to position it in its natural centered position over the
disc. While still squeezing the lever, tighten the mounting bolts.
12. Using a 5mm Allen wrench, turn the fixed inner pad adjuster counter clockwise 1/8 of a turn until there is a .015”-.020” (.38-.50mm) gap.
13. Adjust the amount of lever travel by turning the adjuster barrel at your lever.
14. Spin the wheel. Check that it spins freely and that the gaps, between the pad and the disc, are equal. If the gaps are unequal, or if there is drag,
readjust the caliper position by loosening the mounting bolts and adjusting the caliper as needed.
Hint: A white piece of paper can be used as a background to help sight down the disc looking for equal clearance between the pads and th disc.

I "fixed" the instructions to help you out

Last edited by Raiyn; 04-20-07 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 10:16 AM
mesagsd13
Urban Terror

Bikes: 2004 schwinn mesa gsd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front disc brakes

I cant tell you how glad i am that i read your tip on the stationary pad...Right before i put my bike up for winter i do maintainance on it, couldnt get that mushy feel out of the front brake!! Just over looked that adjustment on that stationary pad...Thanks again!!!
Old 04-20-07, 12:10 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're welcome. Now please let this ol dead thread rest.
Old 04-21-07, 04:49 AM
albyhellscream
exiled shinigami

Bikes: diamondback apex '05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EJ123
When I go fast the rotor makes a ringing noise because of the rubbing with the part that moves to clamp it. Does this happen to anyone else?
This happened to mine as well.However, i spent some time meddling with it and now it's fine.
Personally, i think its a flaw in the design.Its a different story if the disc is bent though.
Old 07-08-07, 04:41 PM
hamfam93

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seely
My Hayes mechs work fine... I've found that bringing in the non-fixed pad a bit by sliding the clamp up the cable a hair really makes them feel a lot better, it seems that there is a little play at the bottom of the movement of the arm the cable attaches to. Once I got them set up, all I have had to do is bring the fixed pad in a bit every so often.

With discs , as any other brake, its important that both pads contact the disc at about the same point so you're not "pushing" the disc one way or another. If it is pushing the disc, your brakes will feel mushy, just like a rim brake that isn't contacting the rim at the same time.
I know that this thread is dated, but your advise was right on. As a newbie to disc brakes but not to biking, your advise made sense. I made the adjustments, and my Shimano BR-M465's work great. I was about to scrap the Shimanos for some Avids, but you saved me greenbacks. Thanks
Old 07-08-07, 05:35 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
You're welcome. Now please let this ol dead thread rest.

I thought you were the "search" police. Do you just look for something to gripe about?