Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Roll Call -- Great Lakes area locals

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Roll Call -- Great Lakes area locals

Old 08-28-06, 07:24 PM
richjac

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Santana Sovereign (2021)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Berlin, WI, here... might as well say Milwaukee (burp). I've been riding in ever expanding circles to the south - but only up to 25-35 mile rides, and don't think I'm fast enough for group rides yet. Next year I'd like to be a bit more ambitous, at least riding my age, if not a century. I mostly hang around the 50+ forum here. This is my first season riding, and it's going to be all too short! Mornings are already getting cooler
Old 08-29-06, 02:29 AM
Prometheus

Bikes: 70's Schwinn (dismembered), The Raleigh 10-speed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just outside Detroit. Madison Heights specificaly. I agree with octaneTom, the roads here blow.
Old 08-29-06, 07:45 AM
jstream
yes... You're on my left

Bikes: Specialized FSR XC/Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richjac
New Berlin, WI, here... might as well say Milwaukee (burp). I've been riding in ever expanding circles to the south - but only up to 25-35 mile rides, and don't think I'm fast enough for group rides yet. Next year I'd like to be a bit more ambitous, at least riding my age, if not a century. I mostly hang around the 50+ forum here. This is my first season riding, and it's going to be all too short! Mornings are already getting cooler
No reason to stop until the ice comes
Old 08-29-06, 08:21 AM
Dead Extra #2
Mostly Harmless

Location: Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Columbus Indiana, about 45 miles south of Indianapolis.
Old 08-29-06, 12:27 PM
Brian6751

Bikes: Fuji Newest 4.0 (my first road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canton MI. I ride to work and on Hines . Im looking for group rides.
Old 08-29-06, 03:02 PM
octaneTom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brian -

These guys have group rides along Hines Drive:
https://www.lmb.org/saddle/

I think the Dearborn Tri + Swim club also does rides along Hines Drive...
https://www.swimfasttrifast.com/

I haven't done rides w/ either group but found them both when I was looking online earlier in the year.
Old 08-29-06, 03:14 PM
doglhunt
barkin' at the moon

Bikes: bianchi MTB,several old schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carey,Ohio.It's like living in Mayberry.(Andy,Floyd,Barney,****er........And that wierd crazy hillbilly boy that was always chunkin' rocks)
Old 08-29-06, 05:01 PM
legot73
meep!

Bikes: 2006 Kona Jake, 2005 Giant Lite Xtracycle, 2004 Trek L200, 1997 Specialized RockHopper FS, 1989 Trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fox Point, WI here, to be exact. I'm a daily commuter through Milwaukee, looking forward to some local weekend tours sometime. I just noticed this regional forum today, cool.
Old 08-29-06, 07:43 PM
outashape

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brian 6751: If you are looking for group rides, check out lmb.org and then I think it is under resources. It lists all the bicycle clubs in Michigan. There is not really a club in Canton, although several members from my club live in Canton. Hines Park is home to 4 bike clubs that I know of.

My club is AABTS.org and they have a Far East Fringe group that starts in Plymouth Michigan behind the library and either rides out towards Whitmore Lake using Ann Arbor Road and 7 mile and they have daily rides down Hines park. Speeds are around 18mph and there are some slower rides for beginners and there is a group of about 8 guys that ride about 22-24 mph. The Ann Arbor group have rides every morning and night and on Sunday, the ride could go down to Jackson, out to Mason, Pickney or anywhere within a 60 mile radius of Ann Arbor. Nice variety when Hines gets boring.

Cycling Saddlemen have rides that start at Nankin Mills in Hines Park and go out west toward the Dump on 5 or 6 mile road. They ride about 19-21 mph, although they have some slower days that start in Dearborn, the other end of Hines. They also sponser individual Time Trials 4 times per year. You do not have to be a member to join.

Trails Edge is a bike store at Northville Road and Hines Park, they have cycling (16-18) along Hines and mountain bike rides.

Wolverines is a racing club and they ride alot with the Saddlemen. They have a Saturday ride out of Northville going to Whitmore Lake with cat 1-5 racers. They also have some slower rides in the Royal Oak/Beverly Hills area.

BikeSport in Dearborn is a triathletic club and they have organized rides down Hines.
Old 08-29-06, 08:42 PM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10, Novara Randonee, Raleigh Super Grand Prix, Schwinn Mirada Sport winter beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone from the St. Louis/Alton Il area familiar with Rowing Ridge Road north of Grafton? I rode it a couple of weeks back while in the area. My ride started at Pere Marquette State Park - I rode the bike trail for a couple of miles to Grafton, got bored, and thought I'd head for the hills. So I headed up what I thought was called Mason Hollow Road, but google maps has it listed first as Springfield Street, and then Rowing Ridge Road. At the base of the bluff I could see the top of the climb and my heart jumped. Holy crap it was steep. I got into my triple and started pounding away. Had I stopped pedaling I would have stopped immediately. Half way up it flatted out a bit and there was some shade, so I stopped to catch my breath. Don't recall ever having to stop on a hill before. Once I was pushing so hard on the pedals in order to keep moving that my front wheel lifted off the ground slightly. I'd love to find out what the grade is on that monster. I finished my ride by coming in the back way to Pere Marquette park - that is one fantastic place to ride. Smooth pavement, lots of hills and dips and turns, with minimal traffic. And most of it is shaded, which is great on a hot day in August in southern Illinois.

https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=16...17381&t=h&om=1
Old 08-30-06, 07:50 AM
jstream
yes... You're on my left

Bikes: Specialized FSR XC/Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by legot73
Fox Point, WI here, to be exact. I'm a daily commuter through Milwaukee, looking forward to some local weekend tours sometime. I just noticed this regional forum today, cool.
Do you do the oak leaf in the morning? What do you ride? I'm always walking a pair of springers back there in the morning.
Old 08-31-06, 03:42 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I am setting up our own BFNIC ride for the weekend of Sept 23-24th. It will start out of Hampshire and include a 31-62-100 route options. Look forward to seeing you there!
Not to apply any undo pressure, but Sundays always work better for me than Saturdays.
Old 08-31-06, 06:14 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hillbilly boy in Mayberry-Ernest T.
Old 09-01-06, 06:55 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Not to apply any undo pressure, but Sundays always work better for me than Saturdays.
HA! - Most everyone else is saying the opposite. For me it has come down to whether or not my Mother-In-Law can babysit, and whether or not she can do it on Saturday or Sunday.

...funny how having a kid always seems to be the controlling factor in absoluteley every aspect of my life...

OH *slaps forehead* THAT'S what everyone meant when they all said, "Your life will totally change....no seriously it will totally change."

So far it lookss like Saturday might be the day. I am trying to verify/pre-ride the route this weekend. CyLowe97, and 53X12 might join me for at least part of it. Again it looks like it will be Sunday because of family arrangements, but you are more than welcome to come out and get a preview.

PM me for details.

Old 09-01-06, 07:17 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
"So far it lookss like Saturday might be the day. I am trying to verify/pre-ride the route this weekend. CyLowe97, and 53X12 might join me for at least part of it. Again it looks like it will be Sunday because of family arrangements, but you are more than welcome to come out and get a preview."

Oooooh a pre ride!! Hook me up with some details. I miss you guys. And I love the Saturday idea!!! Later.
Old 09-01-06, 07:27 AM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aham23
"So far it lookss like Saturday might be the day. I am trying to verify/pre-ride the route this weekend. CyLowe97, and 53X12 might join me for at least part of it. Again it looks like it will be Sunday because of family arrangements, but you are more than welcome to come out and get a preview."

Oooooh a pre ride!! Hook me up with some details. I miss you guys. And I love the Saturday idea!!! Later.
It's a holiday weekend, so I'm good all three days. Been PM'ing w/ P2001 on details. We'll start an independent thread w/ some details in a little while so we don't threadjack the roll call.
Old 09-01-06, 07:38 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cool. I ment the Saturday Idea for the Official BFNIC ride later this month. You guys PreRide on your schedule. Just let me know about the PreRide. Jack what? Later.
Old 09-01-06, 08:03 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by aham23
Cool. I ment the Saturday Idea for the Official BFNIC ride later this month. You guys PreRide on your schedule. Just let me know about the PreRide. Jack what? Later.
"Jack what?" <---

Hey...thread started --------->https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=224769

Old 09-02-06, 08:41 AM
mwrobe1
Code Warrior

Bikes: Schwinn MTB/Raleigh Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow...I never noticed this subforum before!
I'm in Evergreen Park Illinois. The city of Chicago surrounds me on the south, east and north, with Oak Lawn and Hometown situated west of me. I originally grew up 3 blocks from Midway airport (planes took off and landed literally right over my house) 1 block away from Archer Ave, 1/2 block from north/south freight train tracks, 1/2 block away from the Midway L...needless to say I'm accustomed to alot of noise LOL.
Any udder sout-siders out there? And when I say sout-siders...I mean south of 35th street...not Madison Ave.

Jake: Hit it.

Old 09-02-06, 07:20 PM
legot73
meep!

Bikes: 2006 Kona Jake, 2005 Giant Lite Xtracycle, 2004 Trek L200, 1997 Specialized RockHopper FS, 1989 Trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jstream
Do you do the oak leaf in the morning? What do you ride? I'm always walking a pair of springers back there in the morning.
I'm on the part of the Oak Leaf for most of my ride every day from Greentree to Green Bay to Bradley. I ride a brown Kona, and usually wear HI-VIS green jerseys.
Old 09-07-06, 07:31 AM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Just to get the thread back on track, from Central Michigan area here. Nice to have a regional forum.

TassR700
Old 09-07-06, 08:37 AM
Mr_H
Pedaling Backwards

Bikes: '04 Cannondale F300, '92 Park Pre Rigid MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Midland-Bay City-Saginaw TriCity area for me. Just moved here a year ago...and just started commuting to work this year
Old 09-07-06, 12:32 PM
sisyphus321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glen Ellyn, Illinois (west suburbs/Chicago). Vetern of the praire path & fox river trail.

Anybody have any suggestions for roads in this area that are safe to ride on?
Old 09-07-06, 12:43 PM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sisyphus321
Glen Ellyn, Illinois (west suburbs/Chicago). Vetern of the praire path & fox river trail.

Keep an eye on this thread and the Great Lakes Sub-forum in the next few days. A bunch of Chicagolanders are planning a ride on 10/1 (I think). There are some links to the routes we're planning out of Hampshire Forest Preserve

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=225160

Lots of great roads, especially if you can get west into Kane County,, or northwest into McHenry County toward Wisconsin.
Old 09-07-06, 01:44 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by sisyphus321

Definitely keep an eye on here for the upcoming ride(s). You're in the right place. A lot of riders in this area to ride with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.