Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Cyclocross Stars and their Drivetrain

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06, 11:31 AM
ronbridal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was checking out cyclocrossworld.com and noticed a section where they profile bikes of the Superstars. Link is here: https://www.cyclocrossworld.com/BOSS.cfm

I noticed that of the 10 bikes they profiled all used either Sram or Shimano. None of them were equipped with Campy. Just thought this was interesting. This made me think about a few things. First, how many people that race on this forum actually have their race rig decked out in Campy? Second, do you think this sample was simply a fluke or do you believe that most indeed race on Sram or Shimano? Third, would their be a disadvantage of racing Campy from those with experience with it? Personally my two bikes are equipped with Shimano Ultegra. Food for thought. Ron
Old 12-27-06, 01:31 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just a guess, but many of the cyclocross bikes I've seen have 135 dropouts. I have never seen* a campy-compatible 135 mm hub. Some cross bikes are 130 mm dropout spaced (Kona JTS), so I think it is likely just a fluke.

*this doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old 12-28-06, 03:51 PM
damocles1
The mods changed this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need a 135 hub. I have a 135 spaced Salsa Las Cruces and have been running a set of Ksyriums for racing and an Ultegra rear hub for general riding. Get a longer skewer and crank it down...
Old 12-28-06, 05:47 PM
92degrees

Bikes: too few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think at that level (even in cross?) people ride what they are given by sponsors, no? I ride Campy on the road, and would ride Campy in cross too but my bike came with Shimano and it's not worth it to me to change. It works well. One other point that was made to me -- it pays to use what most other people use because if (when) you need to bum a part or a wheel it's much easier that way.
Old 12-28-06, 07:09 PM
MrPolak
Just ride it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My cross bike is full-campy and the dropout spacing is 132.5 mm, which makes it compatible with both mountain and road hubs. The real problem based on my experience is finding cyclocross wheels with campy hubs. The closest I got is a set Cane Creek Strados which accept a Campy freehub body. Yes, I am aware I can get any wheel built if I have enough money.
Old 12-28-06, 11:57 PM
danimal
bike parking is free

Bikes: a road bike, a cross bike, and a track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my cross bike is all shimano, but i've often thought that it would be beneficial to ride campy for cross since you can take-apart/rebuild campy...i'm only saying this because i had to replace a 105 shifter after face-planting into some sand in a race.
Old 12-29-06, 12:05 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Actually this is because Campy is junk and Shimano and SRAM is the greatest stuff on earth. It has nothing to do with the fact that Shimano and SRAM are sponsoring cross and Campy isn't. Really.
Old 12-29-06, 12:48 PM
ronbridal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the increasing growth of cyclocross you would think then that Campy would begin to play a bigger role. I would agree that Shimano and Sram are far superior to Campy
Old 12-29-06, 03:02 PM
Iffacus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the top riders just ride with what they are given, and as they don't have to worry about the cost of replacing it unlike us mere mortals that do it as a hobby.

For what its worth I run a Campag 9sp drivechain and don't have any problems with it