Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

I am really considering to buy an e bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

I am really considering to buy an e bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 05:02 PM
landu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile I am really considering to buy an e bike

My commute to work is 10 miles one way and I am preferring to ride it on e bike as I can't afford to have car for at least couple of hours.

I live here in sacramento, CA

I looked at lots of bike online. The one i really prefer is

https://www.x-tremescooters.com/elect...500/xb500.html

though they mention that it does not require license or registeration. I am not sure whether those are legal here or not. Can you please suggest something like this.????

Thanks
Old 08-25-08, 10:39 PM
Solar.110mb

Bikes: Schwinn Izip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks great. Just check the measurements since you are not able to actually see one before you order. I would take the measurements and compare to one that you can see in person. Besides that all the specs look great and the price is right. It may be a cop magnet with it's moped looks when riding bike paths or sidewalks, I don't know.
Old 08-26-08, 10:04 AM
hippiehunter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Sacramento as well, if you decide to go with a kit bike I would be more then happy to help you put everything together and what not. Im pretty sure we've all argued until we're blue in the face about bike style vs scooter style so im not going to make any argument about it, I just don't really like them. So far ive not seen anyone else on an ebike around here so I welcome the new addition regardless of scooter or bike.
Old 08-26-08, 05:36 PM
landu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know man. I really love this kind of bikes but it has looks like moped. Whenevr i drive my car nowadays, i keep an eye to look for any electric bike similar like this but I have not seen even a single without registeration tags.

I am not sure, if license would be required for this one or not. I don't have license thats why I wanted to buy this bike to commute.
Old 08-26-08, 05:45 PM
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by landu
...though they mention that it does not require license or registeration. I am not sure whether those are legal here or not...
Hopefully somebody who knows the California laws will chime in shortly. I would not trust the seller to give you accurate legal advice. Sure, it may be in their realm of knowledge, but they have a vested interest in calling it legal in the name of profit. I'm pretty sure it's ok in California, but don't know the details.
Old 08-26-08, 09:52 PM
hippiehunter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need a license for anything that goes over 20mph in California, gas or electric. if you get an M2 license you can drive up to 30MPH but you need to get registration tags and that will require a vin number. If you want to go up to 45MPH with electric power you can do so with an M1 License and I believe that the safety regulations are more relaxed then a standard motorcycle.
Old 08-26-08, 10:00 PM
lfairban

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

My two best links for e-bike laws are:

Veloteq

and

Wikipedia

In the second link, I found this passage strange:

is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground, is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour,
Does this mean that if the motor will get you to 18.5 mph, then it can't be able to increase its speed with peddle power to 21?
Old 08-26-08, 10:39 PM
snowranger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hippiehunter
You need a license for anything that goes over 20mph in California, gas or electric. if you get an M2 license you can drive up to 30MPH but you need to get registration tags and that will require a vin number. If you want to go up to 45MPH with electric power you can do so with an M1 License and I believe that the safety regulations are more relaxed then a standard motorcycle.
M1 is the full motorcycle license. I got one 10 years ago. It seems that the tests are the same though.

Seems silly to get a motorcycle license for an electric bike though. The police have better things to do.
Old 08-27-08, 06:54 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really I don't see how the Police are going to see one of those as being anything else but an electric motorcycle. It certainly isn't an electric bicycle or e.bike no matter what they say about the detachable pedals.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 08-27-08, 07:40 AM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'd think you would be ticketed for not having tags and insurance every time you take that on the street.
Also if you take that onto a MUP (bike/pedestrian path) you will infuriate every person you encounter.
Old 08-27-08, 09:56 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You wouldn't get a ticket on that because you would only take it out of the garage once and then you would try to sell it. It only has a 500 watt motor and you wouldn't be pedaling it because the pedals are not set up to be used but to get around the motorcycle law. 500 watts is just enough on a true electric bike to go up a hill. Get a decent used bike and then get a kit. If you have worked on a bike at all, it is pretty easy.
Old 08-28-08, 10:46 PM
phlewt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by landu
I looked at lots of bike online. The one i really prefer is
https://www.x-tremescooters.com/elect...500/xb500.html
Looking at the x-tremescooters web site, they offer a conventional style bicycle (powered by lithium batteries) for $1099. It is model xb300li, and may be viewed at:
https://www.x-tremescooters.com/elect...i/xb300li.html

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding the specifications -- perhaps the batteries are rated at 8Ah? It is quite a bit lighter than th eZip (51 lbs vs. the eZip at 76 lb) and considering that it uses Li batteries, might be competitive with the eZip when one considers the more frequent replacement need for the SLA batteries.