Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 08:53 PM
DByers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grabaawr

I'm planning on doing GRABAAWR this summer and just looking for some people's experiences with the tour and some opinions. It seems like a well put together event but there is not as much information as you would think easy to find. How was the ride and the setup? Thanks for the input!
Old 02-21-11, 11:02 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
I've done GRABWAAR three times. Last time was '09. Take the bus ride before the tour rather than after. It's a lonnnng ride (6-7 hours) so bring some good reading material. They stop for eats about halfway. The ride is good, nothing crazy challenging but there are usually some optional miles that have some more challenging terrain. The food plans for GRAB, Northwoods, and SAGBRAW got more flexible a few years ago. I'll be on the Northwoods tour this summer with a dozen or so friends. We usually do our own things for meals but the meal plan is usually decent. I highly recommend tent camping rather than "gym camping". The tent city has its own mentality...a bit more friendly, rain or shine. The towel service is nice although I've never used it...several friends have. The Northwoods tour has shower trucks this year. I'd suspect that'd also be the case for the other two tours. Past years have seen chilly showers at some of the schools. Frankly, I'm fine with that after many miles on a summer tour. I always bring a small "bag chair" though they can be rented too. They limit you to two bags but plenty of folks bring the two bags and a bag chair. The luggage trucks are quite big and some days the riders that arrive early end up helping unload the mountain. It's not that they have to, it's that they want their bags so as to shower and hit the beach or whatever. Take advantage of the swim stops. I've done the Shoreline West tour in lower Michigan twice now. Nothing beats that tour for beach stops. But GRABWAAR isn't too bad. Just plan ahead...take a suit on your bike if you're like me...don't like to bike in a soggy diaper bike shorts.

Did that help or put you to sleep?
Old 02-22-11, 03:55 PM
DByers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awsome information! I appreciate it. It sounds like it should be great for me as this will be my first tour ride. I'm 26 and in the last year or so I have really found a passion for the sport. Should be a great season of riding ahead!
Old 02-25-11, 12:37 PM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I'll chime in. Just to be upfront, I work with GRABAAWR, organizing the tour. I'll tell you what... working for the tour is the most fun I've had at a job ever (so it doesn't really feel like working).

GRABAAWR is a great ride. Each year we've tried to add some new stuff for people that like... new stuff. For people that love riding hard, that never changes. This year we kick off in Land O' Lakes with a layover day Sunday (first ever). On Sunday, there will be a century loop and probably a shorter 60-70 loop out to Manitowish Waters and back. A Feed and a bluegrass band await you when you get back to Land O' Lakes. We are offering GRABAAWR Lite, a one day event that day for folks that want a taste of GRABAAWR but have to be back at work on Monday. Got friends that can only do one day but want to ride with the pack? here's the chance.

We are injecting more live music into the tour this year. Dance party on Saturday night, bluegrass on Sunday, some 'Sconnie styled squeezebox in Wausau, Cajun Strangers in Baraboo, and maybe more. The Rest/snack stops sponsored by town groups (churches, etc) are traditional and usually done by the same groups each year so they know how to please. There are a few challenging hills in the middle of the state that riders love (Brokaw, Father Menard). Hwy 107 runs right along the rider for miles with places to swim and 'refreshment' stops. Shuttle buses at each overnight to get you into town if you want a change of pace, care to grab a meal, or need some bike gear replaced. Wheel and Sprocket are on board to do all your repairs - at the overnight and on the route each day. And I could go on...

Link up with the GRABAAWR face book page to get all the late breaking feature updates as they happen.
https://facebook.com/GRABAAWR

it's a blast so make sure you bring a few friends
https://www.bikewisconsin.com/Grabaawr/index.html
Old 03-02-11, 11:26 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sigurd- Do you have any knowledge of the SAGBRAW course for 2012? Any chance they would go back to the 2010 route? This past summer, they came right in front of my house, and I'd love to do the ride with my daughter (on a trail-a-bike), but she's only 7 now, and we'd probably only do it if it was in our area again.
Old 03-16-11, 12:39 PM
GaryInWI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done GRABAAWR four times. Great ride - uniformly good scenery & roads. There are probably only a handful of 500 mile rides in the country that can compete in that regard. The bus ride up north is a bit tedious, but the buses are 1st class and besides it's all downhill after that. For what it's worth, here are my recommendations, bring a tent, air mattress & pillow (if the weather is threatening or super hot, you can always go inside), don't take the meal plan (local eateries are plentiful and provide variety and the chance to interact with the locals) and lastly, don't ride too fast -- it's the journey, not the destination (and besides if you get in too early, you have to help unload the luggage truck). The years I've gone, they have had 400-500 riders, which they seem to be able to handle well. They average age tends to skew a little old, but I notice this year, they are trying to get some "young blood", which is a great idea. I'm 57 and I would rate the ride moderately challenging and generally prefer it to the easier SAGBRAW routes
Old 03-16-11, 05:37 PM
skijor
on by

The faster riders tend to hit a local watering hole when they role into town versus heading to the school to unload luggage. Not that I would know anything about that
Old 03-20-11, 05:13 PM
poxy51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done the GRABAAWR twice and thinking I will do it again this year. I agree with everything that has been said, including that it does tend to skew old (I am 59). Each day is a good long ride and the scenery is always good if not spectacular. I also agree its good to bring the tent air mattress and pillow. I went for the breakfast plan and then ate at their scheduled stops during the day. But there are many places to eat other foods. Wheel & Sprockett provided service the first year when I needed help, I was better prepared for the second and did not need anything besides the morning air check.

I hope my schedule lets me go.
Old 03-21-11, 10:28 PM
RepWI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the SAGBRAW a couple of years ago and did enjoy it. I was not impressed with the woman that ran the thing though. She had no time for newbies to her tour. Many times I attempted to engage her in conversations and it became obvious I was not an insider.

I did learn I enjoyed touring and have since developed into a fully loaded self contained tourer.
Old 03-22-11, 03:30 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RepWI
I did the SAGBRAW a couple of years ago and did enjoy it. I was not impressed with the woman that ran the thing though. She had no time for newbies to her tour. Many times I attempted to engage her in conversations and it became obvious I was not an insider.

I did learn I enjoyed touring and have since developed into a fully loaded self contained tourer.
I did SAGBRAW as my first multi day ride in 2005. I overheard a woman on the bus to the start talking of her adventures self contained, and that got me, although last year I did do a supported week tour. I believe the ownership of SAGBRAW/GRABAAWR changed since I rode it.
Old 03-22-11, 05:17 PM
skijor
on by

Yes, it was '06 that those two rides were purchased by the owner of the bikenorthwoods tour. The rides have changed in many ways, so I am told by folks that did them prior to the change in owners. For good or bad, depends on who you talk to. The couple that own the rides got married on the first of the bikenorthwoods tours over ten years ago.
Old 08-21-12, 12:39 PM
Badjuggler

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone please comment in more detail on the GRABAAWR food? Specifically, what does an average dinner or breakfast consist of? Any portion limitations? Vegetarian option? Times offered? Just curious what is included for the price. Thanks!
Old 08-22-12, 07:34 AM
skijor
on by

The quality of the meals has improved over the last 5 years. There are typically no portion limitations. You can go back for seconds. Yes, there is always a vegetarian option. There is a window of time for meals, usually about two hours. You get your money's worth. For the record, I've done GRABWAAR three times and the bikenorthwoods tour four times. The meals are prepared and served by community groups so the meal appeal varies somewhat but I have not encountered any bad meals. The more northerly section of the ride does not have much in the way of "biker" meal options. Typically just bar food. I typically do not do the meal plan because I prefer experience the communities i pass thru, part of which is stopping at the local diners, etc. The breakfast-only option is a good way to go due to the limited restaurants when in more rural areas. If you're uncertain, that would be my recommendation.
Old 07-22-19, 09:15 AM
poxy51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone give and Update on the Grabaawr?

I understand that it is managed by a different organization in the past few years-this thread was last updated in 2012 I think.

Did you enjoy the ride? Was it well organized? About how many people ride it?

Would appreciate any info.

Rich