Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

$392 for a Fox Vanilla RLC fork?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 11:01 PM
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good deal? bad deal? I got beyondbikes' new mailer and they're giving 20% off any fox fork with code FX2PC. This code brings the Fox Vanilla down to $392 + shipping... Heck, the F100RLT is $520 with the coupon. Eh, I was thinking about getting some new wheels, but that seems like a reasonably good deal on those forks. Don't think I'd go for the F100, though. A bit outta my price range.
Old 12-16-04, 11:03 PM
sparks_219 

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cryogenic
Good deal? bad deal? I got beyondbikes' new mailer and they're giving 20% off any fox fork with code FX2PC. This code brings the Fox Vanilla down to $392 + shipping... Heck, the F100RLT is $520 with the coupon. Eh, I was thinking about getting some new wheels, but that seems like a reasonably good deal on those forks. Don't think I'd go for the F100, though. A bit outta my price range.
You can find a F100X for $575 on ebay. Or just about $500 lightly used. I think 392 is a good price on the vanilla though. GO for it!
Old 12-16-04, 11:12 PM
cryogenic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's almost $100 cheaper than I found anywhere else... I don't really NEED a fork, but it seems like a decent deal. It'd certainly ride better than my MZ Comp I have on there now. :-P But by the same token, I think I'll benefit more from the wheels given that I don't do enough hardcore riding to justify blowing random cash on a nice fork.
Old 12-16-04, 11:15 PM
MadMan2k
Perpetual n00b

Bikes: '18 Kona Explosif, '18 Sunday Primer BMX, Giant Roam (ss converted), Old Peugeot (SS converted, broken)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you get that fork, will you sell the one you have now?
Old 12-16-04, 11:21 PM
cryogenic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, yeah... I would, but my chances of getting this are slim to none. I've been delaying getting a new wheelset long enough. Mind you my cellphone decides to crap out on me at the same time I'm eyeballing some nice wheels. Hopefully I can get it replaced/repaired free. We'll see how that goes. So I guess this check is either a) :new wheelset... b) new fork .. or c) new cellphone (last choice)

so yeah, unless I can figure some reason why the fork is a better investment than the wheels, I'm probably going with the wheels :-P
Old 12-17-04, 09:44 AM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a new fork will be a more significant improvement to your riding pleasure than a new set of wheels.

Unless you are a weight wienie and looking to save the most weight.

A light set of wheels will feel lighter and you'll accelerate faster, but a good fork will improve the feel and the handling considerably more.

I'd buy the fork now, and upgrade the wheels down the road (no pun intended).
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger