Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Buying a new bike what to get.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 03-12-12, 08:27 AM
pensfan112

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm getting a new specialized mountain bike and decided to get a hardrock disc 29er. I went to another place to check prices and the guy recommended spending the extra 100 bucks to get the sport disc 29er. Don't really have the extra cash right now nor do i want to spend the extra money because i'm fine with upgrading later. What do you guys think should i pay the extra for the sport disc. Here's the links
disc 29er https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain
sport disc 29er https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

Also my friends got to this mounatin https://www.7springs.com/page/categor...Bike-Park.html to ride sometimes. They say i should rent a bike cause thats what they did because are bikes can't handle it. Do you think it owuld be right to take that specialized or are they just wasting there money. I'm sure its recommended to rent one but with the pass and rental its over a 100 bucks just for the day.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pensfan112; 03-12-12 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-12-12, 08:44 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To Bike Forums, Pensfan112!

IMHO, the Hardrock Sport Disc would definitely be worth the extra $100. Just be patient and wait until you can better afford it. I say this because your components are better all the way around. Your drivetrain is better, your disc brakes are much better, and your fork is better too. Even your shifters are better!

Don't be crazy! Don't take a risk! Do the right thing and get the Sport Disc!

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 03-12-12 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-12-12, 11:04 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you plan on doing? It looks like they rent out XC bikes and downhill bikes, so there must be XC terrain too. Your bike will be fine for the XC terrain, but if you're hitting the downhill terrain, a 29er XC bike isn't going to be the best choice. I'll let the downhill boys weigh in here, but suffice it to say that you'll have a better experience with the right tools.
Old 03-12-12, 12:06 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
What do you plan on doing? It looks like they rent out XC bikes and downhill bikes, so there must be XC terrain too. Your bike will be fine for the XC terrain, but if you're hitting the downhill terrain, a 29er XC bike isn't going to be the best choice. I'll let the downhill boys weigh in here, but suffice it to say that you'll have a better experience with the right tools.
+1 ^This^ Is Excellent Advice!...You'd need a better fork than what's on either of those Specialized bikes above. You'd also fair better with a genuine DH FS MTB!
Old 03-12-12, 01:05 PM
pensfan112

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friends already said ill probably won't to get new front forks so i'm planning on getting those anyway thats why i'm hestitany to pay extra. Plus they only go to that place i posted once i year and we dont have any crazy downhill trails around here. Mostly ill just be riding around town and local wood trails like said are pretty tame.
Old 03-12-12, 01:27 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pensfan112
My friends already said ill probably won't to get new front forks so i'm planning on getting those anyway thats why i'm hestitany to pay extra. Plus they only go to that place i posted once i year and we dont have any crazy downhill trails around here. Mostly ill just be riding around town and local wood trails like said are pretty tame.

Hey there Pensfan112!

Only pay for what you need. One trip per year is definitely NOT worth any extra added expense, unless you have way too much money.

If most of your MTB cycling consists of just riding around town and on the local hard packed wooded dirt trails, then you most probably don't even need a MTB. You would most probably fair better with a hybrid bicycle with a rigid fork. As for right now, if you like the Hardrock Disc 29, then get that bike. It will last just as long as Hardrock Sport Disc.