Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra front derai lure,,,intermittent failure

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 11:17 AM
squatchy
squatchy

Bikes: S-works Roubaix, S-works Tarmac, Gary Fisher Promethius, Tommasini Competion, Eddy Merckx Corsa 01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My girlfriends front deraillure works 98% of the time. On occasion it doesn't shift from small ring up onto the big ring. Any idea's as what I need to do to make it work right?
Old 10-15-12, 11:30 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
There are a few possibilities.

First of all remember that FDs work on the tight side of the chain, so you MUST ease off pedal pressure otherwise the chain's tension will resist the upshift.

Then try this test, Shift by pulling the wire away from the downtube. If it shifts better this way compared to using the lever, then it want's a bit more cable tension. OTOH, if it doesn't change anything, then the remedy might be to ease the limit back a hair. When adjusting the limit, test by shifting by pulling the cable, rather than by lever. Back off the limit until it's possible to overshift and dump the chain, then come back until it's impossible and that's the correct setting.

Note that moving the limit alone won't cause the FD to be able to move out more, it just makes it possible. The actual movement is controlled by the lever, and you may need to add a bit more cable tension to take advantage of the increased travel.

In some systems, there's some over travel built into the lever, so you may not need added cable tension, just backing the limit off will allow you to capitalize on the over travel for a crisp shift.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-15-12, 11:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
+1, look at everything but the FD itself, first,

it just does what it is pulled to do by the cable,

and the return spring, on the FD, pushes back.