Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How important is bike color to you?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 03-22-16, 08:03 AM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I posted this in the Clyde section because we are sometimes limited to bikes.
I think sometimes I worry to much about color, but dang its hard to buy an ugly bike.
Old 03-22-16, 08:46 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't care which color bike I buy as long as it's an OK color but there are colors I will NOT buy... I will not buy an orange or green bike. I simply do not like those colors and every time I'd get on such a bike I'd be shaking my head but I could buy a red, blue, purple, white...many other colors and combinations I could live with. When my wife and I bought our first set of bikes many years ago she wanted a red bike. I made a bit of fun of her, wanting to only look at components and fit but over the years I've learned that there is no color I must have...but a couple I won't have. My most recent purchase was influenced by this issue when a very nice selection came only in orange and green. I just shook my head and put it out of my mind. Now that I have an SWorks Roubaix which is a matte with carbon fiber showing and no paint on it, I will add that to my list of "colors" that I will not buy. I loathe it and would trade it in a second if I could.
Old 03-22-16, 08:49 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike color is not important to me. If I had to have an opinion, I'd say I like bright bikes. I have a "pastel" orange bike that I love. I also have a bright yellow bike. The rest of my bikes are various shades of black, which is boring. (Although the black and red one looks nice.)

It should be noted that the bright bikes are my commuting bikes. Sometimes I like to think that helps with visibility.

I'd rock any cool colored bike. Deep purple? Heck yeah. White? Yes. Pink... ok maybe pink is my limit.

I also adore white bikes but don't own one.
Old 03-22-16, 08:53 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
I got tired of the Yellow.39,000 miles

Old 03-22-16, 08:57 AM
dkyser

Originally Posted by corrado33
Bike color is not important to me. If I had to have an opinion, I'd say I like bright bikes. I have a "pastel" orange bike that I love. I also have a bright yellow bike. The rest of my bikes are various shades of black, which is boring. (Although the black and red one looks nice.)

It should be noted that the bright bikes are my commuting bikes. Sometimes I like to think that helps with visibility.

I'd rock any cool colored bike. Deep purple? Heck yeah. White? Yes. Pink... ok maybe pink is my limit.

I also adore white bikes but don't own one.
I was looking at the All City Mr Pink, not sure I could ride that bike.
Old 03-22-16, 10:16 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dkyser
I think sometimes I worry to much about color, but dang its hard to buy an ugly bike.
I ride with a guy who rides a pink bike. Pink is his thing, he owns it! I personally could not go there.

I think aesthetics are important personally. Liking your bike is a lot about liking how it looks as well as how it rides. I find all black "murdered out" bikes (I own one) to be boring and anonymous looking. Equally I don't like white as a frame color. I'd go for pretty much anything else, excepting maybe pink!
Old 03-22-16, 10:27 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
It's important to me. If I'm buying new and paying retail I'm going to get something I love but if it's a great deal on a carry over or a used bike I'm going to be more flexible. I just bought a demo sattle on eBay for like $8 with "DEMO" and "Terry" in pink (it's a Terry FLX). It's normally over $100, had great reviews, was the right size and was a design I wanted to try. For $100 off I can live with the pink fonts and I'm really liking the saddle, so I now plan to live with it for a long time. I wouldn't have paid $100+ for one with pink fonts though.
Old 03-22-16, 10:29 AM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't do 'ugly'...

if something is not aesthetically appealing, I don't buy it.
Old 03-22-16, 10:29 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Very. Bikes and components should be non-ferous metal-colored (titanium, clear anodized aluminum, stainless steel) so scratches and scrapes don't show or clear coated carbon fiber where they're grey or black and not very noticeable. The look is also elegant and subdued, like a silver car.

Take a look at this left pedal - the worn top blends in so you can't tell at a distance:

My current titanium frame looks better after 19 years than my previous steel frame half that time.

Retro-reflective powder coating which is grey in daylight is OK for things like rims because it's functional and subtle enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pedals-top-small.jpg (104.7 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-22-16 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-22-16, 10:30 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a pink bike, a green bike, a celeste bike and two black bikes. Don't care about colours much. I ride them, I don't put them on my wall.
Old 03-22-16, 11:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I was looking at the All City Mr Pink, not sure I could ride that bike.
Why not? Because it's pink?

Last year I commissioned a custom ti frame. Color on a bike is important to me, and I don't like the look of too much bare ti. I decided to go with a Cerakote ceramic finish instead of paint. The issue with Cerakote is that the colored coatings are a matte finish, which I am not fond of. However, if you custom mix a color with their gloss white you get a pearl finish which looks great. I had the guy who would be doing the application create some test tubes of both pink and green. Pink was my first choice, but it came out looking too much like bubble gum, so I went with the green mix, which we are calling sea foam green. I think it looks great.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
new bike 2.jpg (66.1 KB, 297 views)
Old 03-22-16, 11:47 AM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a full, hot pink bike, that's what I wouldnt ride
Old 03-22-16, 12:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
My thoughts? 1) the bike isn't in my field of view when I am riding, so when it matters most, it really doesn't. 2) Having a color that stands out or isn't common s a real help on big organized rides. Makes it far easier to find at rest stops. 3) You can change your mind. There is this stuff called paint and people who are pros at applying it. (That steel bike after 20 years and a new paint job stands up quite well to that 20 yo ti bike.) 4) Silver grey or silver brown bikes do not show dirt. I used to be commended for how clean I kept my silver grey Fuji Pro when I had just ridden my 45 mile training loop in the wet. And metal flake pint of any color like the classic Imron paint jobs of the '80s also minimize the visibility of dirt. 5) IMHO red bikes rule. I had my first ti custom painted red. Never regretted it. (But fire engine red, not burgandy red or metal flake red or anything else. Just red!

My bikes: Red with ti stays, brushed ti, orange bronze metal flake (2nd paint job), sky blue power coat (2nd paint job), black. (A 40 yo black Raleigh; it wouldn't have been right to re-paint it any other color.)

Ben
Old 03-22-16, 12:07 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
"You can have any color as long as it's black." Henry Ford circ. 1909

I'm with Hank.
Old 03-22-16, 12:11 PM
bobstad

Bikes: Schwinn Racer 3/spd; '73 Windsor Carerra Sport; Raleigh Colt; Raleigh ten-speed; Ballis; Windsor Carerra Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I got tired of the Yellow.39,000 miles
Currently, Converse is selling a rubber coated high-top sneaker that comes in that color yellow, as one choice.

I bought a pair specifically to use cycling, reasoning their water-proof character and sturdy soles compared to other similar kicks will be excellent for riding; though unfortunately, which is strange, the soles are super slick on some wet surfaces...easy to imagine as unsafe, in many situations:* Even used simply as marketed, for an urban "street" life.

These also come in red, green, black or white; and may be had with additional height to the high top, too. The tongues are gusseted, so do resist immersion; and the rubber coating seems likely to greatly prolong the natural life of the shoes, by reinforcing areas which typically fail on normal cotton high top basketball style sneakers-where the foot bends, at the outside, opposite the ball of one's foot for instance.

*My motivation buying this pair, was to replace an earlier pair someone stole while also stealing my bicycle that fortunately did get returned-though the shoes are still missing. That pair is also made by Converse, which I got during 2008 as remaindered on sale; that are no longer produced, whose soles are incredible for being sticky rather than slick...an unusual style and material unlike other Converse or any other high tops I've had. Which seems to be no longer produced.

Last edited by bobstad; 03-22-16 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-22-16, 02:28 PM
americanrecluse

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's pretty important. I fell in love with the Trek FX 7.2 that I test rode, but that year it came in white and a not-great (to my eyes) purple. So I got the 7.3, which was sparkly black with purple accents, and is a sexy sexy beast.
Old 03-22-16, 03:03 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's probably my least concern when buying a bike. I admit I do like some colors more than others, but you have always have a bike repainted if it really matters to you.

I find they grow on me. I thought my Gunnar was ugly when I first saw it, but I kind of like its funky weirdness now.

Also, I didn't like my Fairdale at first. I really wanted to the silver one, but once I got the black one and changed the bar tape, all the sudden its a good looking bike to me.

Not to mention, I can't see it when I am riding it. Only when I pass by it in the house do I notice the color really.

One day though, I want a crazy paint job bike. Something really loud. Bright oranges and greens have been grabbing my eye over time. I need one of those to add to my black, white, gray and blue bikes
Old 03-22-16, 06:34 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
One day though, I want a crazy paint job bike. Something really loud. Bright oranges and greens have been grabbing my eye over time. I need one of those to add to my black, white, gray and blue bikes
Check out the bikes this guy has painted up over the years. Crazy! But really outstanding:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...oject-3-a.html

his latest one is a venge he coated in reflective stickers, which I would appreciate given how much time I spend riding after sunset.

I used to not like white bikes and then that's what I got on fleabay - it's grown on me, but white looks dirty so fast. Mine's white over naked carbon so only part of it looks dirty. I don't really care that much as long as I don't think it's fugly.
Old 03-22-16, 06:43 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's one of my major considerations. I figure once you know your price point you want to and are willing to spend and what kind of bike you want then all the bikes from boutique brands and even dept store brands are all the same at that price so the only real difference is color. Yes even dept store, you can buy a schwinn or diamondback at that price point and it will be pretty much the same as any other $800 mtb.
Old 03-22-16, 06:55 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
It's one of my major considerations. I figure once you know your price point you want to and are willing to spend and what kind of bike you want then all the bikes from boutique brands and even dept store brands are all the same at that price so the only real difference is color. Yes even dept store, you can buy a schwinn or diamondback at that price point and it will be pretty much the same as any other $800 mtb.
Two things. 1. What are you on about? 2. You can't buy a Diamondback at a department store.
Old 03-22-16, 07:43 PM
bobbyl1966

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because all of my bikes is have buy used. I am looking at the colors.
Old 03-22-16, 10:48 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
its pretty important unless it was stupid cheap

Does it fit?
Does it ride well?
Does it look good?
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-23-16, 05:37 AM
dkyser

Originally Posted by jsigone
its pretty important unless it was stupid cheap

Does it fit?
Does it ride well?
Does it look good?
I think this is a great way to look at it.
I am still at the stage of learning bikes and upgrading pretty often so not like its going to be with me a long time. Now when I get a steel bike built exactly how I want, I may put more attention into color.
Heck, I may be ordering a YELLOW bike today, from a guy who has had lots of black bikes.
Old 03-23-16, 11:40 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
i like bright bold colors too-- they're fun
Old 03-23-16, 03:06 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the entire color spectrum covered for road bikes. I have a black bike, a grey one, and a white one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.