Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

8o's Bianchi Trofeo info and value

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 11:08 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
8o's Bianchi Trofeo info and value

Hi gang. Cap'n Jonny here. Just had my right knee replaced and am now recovering. There was a Celeste Bianchi Trofeo hanging in my garage waiting for me to clean up for sale at the bike exchange and it kept calling to me. Fiinally I dragged my sorry self into the garage and pulled it down to start the disassembly. I have a couple pics and a list of equipment .

As received ready to ride.
frame and fork Columbus tubing with Bianchi forged dropouts and fork ends
crank - Ofmega Super competition
Pedals - Gipiemme
wheels - Mavic G 40
Hubs - Miche Primato
brakes and levers - Black Modolo
fr and rear derailleurs - Suntour superb with suntour down tube friction levers
6 spd freewheel - Regina
Stem - Bianchi black
Bars - Mod(olo ) super racing made in Italy
I am thinking this must be early 80's with the non aero levers .
Curious to know if the Suntour kit was standard . Idon't really like the black stem and brakes - they seem out of place on this bike.
I have a couple of sets of Superbe brakes in the goodies box and think it would be nice to use them . I have one of each , aero and non aero.
I also have a long cage superbe rear der and a variety of 7 speed freewheels both Suntour and Shimano hyperglide.
Finally I have a pair of Suntour bar end shifters that I could throw on.

So what did the cat drag in this time? a diamond of just costume jewelry. How do you think I should set it up? leave it as found or
upgrade to 7 speed 28 tooth cog , shiny Superbe brakes, and bar end shifters ?
how much should we ask for it when done here in the heart of Sillycone valley ?
We are literally in the belly of the beast.. Our building was bought by Google on spec which is all around us here
and we are leasing the space from them. Half of our volunteers are Googlers or clones from other tech companies.

Last edited by capnjonny; 12-16-19 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-16-19, 11:37 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
If you start with a bare frame, you're rarely able to make back the costs of what you could get from selling all the parts separately when you try to sell it as a complete bike.
Old 12-16-19, 05:48 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
capnjonny your Trofeo appears to be an '85 model and IMHO is a very nice bike. The Suntour Derailleurs mixed with the Modolo brakes, Ofmega cranks etc is typical of Bianchi from this era. Most manufacturers mixed components to hit the many different price points they were marketing. What size is this? The black parts probably look a bit better with the Eletric Rose color than the Celeste.

If your intent is sell it, I would just finish the overhaul and put it back together with all the OEM parts, the market it as a classic original Bianchi perfect for any erotic ride.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-17-19, 06:28 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Definitely a 1985 model, as that was the only year for the Bianchi Special by Columbus tubesets. The SunTour Superbe derailleurs are OEM and much better performing than Campagnolo of the era.

It's hard to determine a value when all we can see is the frameset and a few components. The steel bits on the crankset are suffering from rust issues and if the other components have the same problem, it will negatively impact the value. If you're going to sell it, don't do any upgrades or changes other than consumables, as required.
Old 12-17-19, 06:49 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
...market it as a classic original Bianchi perfect for any erotic ride.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 12-17-19, 08:38 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
T-Mar, I noticed that too. Maybe Bianchigirll knows something we don't?
Old 12-17-19, 08:39 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I own a red Trofeo and I can attest that it is a wonderful rider. The frameset is excellent, probably underrated in my opinion.
Old 12-26-19, 01:56 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Well, the bike is finished and here are a few pics. A friend just gifted me his old 8 mega pixel Cannon and the pictures are o/k but could be better.

Bianchi Girl, I took your advise and kept the build pretty stock. The only thing I changed was the rear derailleur and freewheel. The bike came with a 13-24 tooth six speed Regina and a short cage Suntour Superb. I put on a 14-28 Hyper glide six and a long cage Superb figuring that it would be a bit more forgiving on the legs for anyone riding in the bay area hills. The pics show green bar tape and in the photos it looks pretty good but in the flesh it doesn't match the frame color. After I did the photo shoot I went back in the garage and pulled it off but then decided it was good enough for Gov't work and put it back on . After it gets dirty no

one will care and if they do they can change it.
The rebuild went well. The bottom bracket grease was so dried I had to use a pick to get it off the bearing cups. Before, the crank felt like it was spinning in peanut butter. Now it is smoooth! The stem was similarly awful but a bit of massaging got it out.
As I posted elsewhere, I touched up the paint with a mixture of Rustoleum light turquoise, slate grey, and hunter green spray paint I had on hand from previous paint jobs. Luckily the frame paint was in very good condition so the touch ups are just small dots.
The pedals are only for demo purposes. I will sell the original Gipiemme pedals with it if they want to run toe clips but we can't put them on our sale bikes.
I will be bringing it in to the shop after New years and we will put in the sale rack . Hopefully we will get a good price for it. Any thoughts on value in the SF bay area market?

Last edited by capnjonny; 12-26-19 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-26-19, 04:27 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
^ Nice job on your choices. Paint looks great.

Two things that stick out with the brake cabling: you need to pull the seatpost out of the seat tube and move the rear cable over to the nds; and with the stem that high, looks like you can trim the brake cables/housing quite a bit more. You could also level the saddle. Cheers.