Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressures on your fat bike

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-14, 03:58 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just an update to anyone who has followed my zillion posts, i got a Fat bike, Kona Wo and its awesome
was originally gonna get something in Carbon but this one was all that was left in my size, anyways

been riding now in snow etc, on trails

curious as to tire pressures, what do you all ride your fat bike tire pressure when riding a snowy trail, this is when its more snow then any dirt showing through,
today, i think riding i need to lower a bit on rear, as i was spinning out on long steep climbs, etc
thanks
Old 11-29-14, 04:41 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
In very loose snow, the kind that hasn't been packed and doesn't bind to itself I'll run 3-4 psi on my Moonlander. When I had 3.8" tires on a narrower rim that would be 4-5 psi for the same sort of tire flex. For packed snow or hard surfaces I'd add air until the back end stopped bouncing up and down as I pedal. Sometimes I'll just leave the tires at the higher pressure and work extra hard because I can't be bothered to get off to let air out, then get off again to pump the tires back up. A bouncy rear tire can be problematic on slick surfaces, as the back end become unweighted on the up bounce and the rear wheel can spin even on flat ground.

It is easy to spin out the rear wheel in loose snow climbing if you stand up. A probably I have on the short steep climbs I encounter is that I start bogging down to the point the chain is under too much load to shift. So if I didn't choose the right gear it usually means getting off and pushing rest of the way.
Old 12-01-14, 03:54 PM
Whiteout1962

Bikes: 9zero7 Whiteout; Stumpjumper Comp 29'er; Electra Delivery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run 4.8 Dillinger 5's on 82 rims, tubeless. I run at 12 when the trail is well packed (i.e. snowmachine packed or a bunch of folks ahead of me). When running on newer snow and looking for float, I run down to 8 psi or so. I am concerned with running too low with the tubeless. When I ran tubed last winter I would go as low as 3-4 as Gecho but I found that I did not get as much additional traction as running closer to 6-8. Too much bouncing at 3-4.
Old 12-01-14, 06:54 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I weigh around 200lbs and all of these pressures are on 80mm rims, I will run slightly lower on 100mm rims

With 4" tires I am usually in the 6psi range

With 5" tires I am in the 4-5psi range with a lot of snow.

For more dirt than snow I tend to run around 8psi on 4" tires and 6 psi on 5"
Old 01-01-15, 09:30 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Tire pressure has been the most interesting learning experience with the new his and hers Pugsleys.

First of all, the gage on my floor pump does not allow you to see the small changes at low pressures. Time for a new gage and/or floor pump.

First ride was on 4 inches of fresh snow, rode very well on untracked snow with 5 or 6 PSI - we were only out for about 5 miles. Later that same day, I took it on a plowed limestone trail for about 17 miles at that pressure and the Pugsley was a slow beast at 5-6 PSI.

I pumped them up to 22-23 PSI, much better on hard pack and pavement on a 10 mile ride. But the two of us took a short cut on boot-packed trails and that was tough going.

I have a lot of learning to do with getting the pressure right.