Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Speed Limit.??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's Your Speed Limit.??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-19, 05:18 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
@BirdsBikeBinocs - close, but a bit more of a chicken, around 26-27 mph I suddenly have any number of "what if's" flashing through my mind along with a strong desire to ride again another day.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 04-29-19 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-28-19, 05:29 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
It is not usual for us to hit 40+ on our tandem and 50 a few times with favorable conditions. Coming out of Pinus Altos heading toward Silver City in southwestern New Mexico, we hit 58, which I think is probably our top speed so far.

That day, just about everything was in our favor; the road is in very good shape. The decent, about 6 miles long has a sufficient grade, but is not crazy. It is fairly straight with long, sweeping curves. Traffic was very light to non-existent and there was almost no wind in our faces (except the one we created.)

Over about 35mph, we just sit in a crouch and let her fly. I think we'd soon spin out anyway if we tried to pedal above that speed.
Old 04-28-19, 06:46 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Squirrels.

Stay safe.
Likes For f4rrest:
Old 04-28-19, 08:07 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
When I was riding in the Livermore, Ca. area there was one really steep and straight hill. I suspect that 60 mph was possible, but somewhere around 50 or bit over it that, faster just didn't seem like a good idea.

In the area where I ride now there isn't anything long and steep enough to get me much over 40 mph.

dave
Old 04-28-19, 10:04 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by McMitchell
Not that fast since I came around a corner yesterday and discovered a person walking her dog with the leash stretched across most of the road. By the time her husband stopped the dog I had about one foot of pavement to circumvent the dog, leash and woman. I may have been doing 15-20mph at the time.

I wonder how people know how fast they are going? I know there are “apps for that”, looking for a “good one” using GPS on an iPhone.
All I can say in those instance is -- aim for the owner.
Old 04-28-19, 10:10 PM
sputniky
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
In all honesty, learning how to mountain bike will go a very long ways to giving most people confidence to ride faster and better on pavement. You deal with all the things that give most road riders the heebie jeebies all the time.
While I agree with your basic premise, it seems that your own ability doesn't match up with your boasting here. Looking at the link in your sig, thee are pictures of the "scary" (in reality, mundane) descent that you were forced to walk down due to lack of skill.
Old 04-28-19, 10:11 PM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Squirrels.

Stay safe.
The little buggers do try to jump through ones spokes. Deer and Turkey are almost as bad where I ride.
Old 04-28-19, 11:20 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
48mph. Every day. That's all it'll do in it's current set-up of just over 2,000w.

With the power switched off, about 14mph...
Old 04-28-19, 11:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
The fastest I've seen professional riders go in the Tour de France is 110 kmph (68 mph) down a long 12% grade in the Alps. They were riding on their top tubes to get more aero and, of course, were on aero bikes. 75.7 mph is 122 kmph. I find it hard to believe that you were going 10% faster than any professional rider can go. I'm going to have to go with Cyccommute on the computer error.
One consideration in favor of non-pros - they often outweigh the pros. Being in top Tour de France condition means being far, far from your best descending weight.

I've never been a good descender. Long limbed and light. But in my racing days we led our pace car, a local cop, down Smuggler's Notch in Vermont. To stay with us, he said he had to go 60 between the corners we were not braking for. (The six leaders of our race, the Cat 3 & 4, passed a number of Cat 1 & 2 riders struggling to get up the Notch. They were zigzagging using the whole road. We just blasted past them and our pace car. My one and only pass of a police car, at what? 6 mph?)

My computer told me I was going 49 down a road SW of Portland on my old Mooney. Completely believable. Probably 900' vertical and steep. Quite sure I went faster down the parallel decent later on my best bike with a strong tailwind. (I rarely have electronics on my bikes that are not serving trainer duty.) That best bike will get too close to the wobbles if I am either cold or nervous. (Quickish steering. I love it 99.9% of the time.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-29-19 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 02:52 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
I am not a speed demon. 40 is my fastest and was comfortable, but usually don’t go much over 30.
Old 04-29-19, 07:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by sputniky
While I agree with your basic premise, it seems that your own ability doesn't match up with your boasting here. Looking at the link in your sig, thee are pictures of the "scary" (in reality, mundane) descent that you were forced to walk down due to lack of skill.
Perhaps you should read the article rather then just look at it. The ride in question is not "mundane". It has a -16+% grade which is steep in anyone's book but is even steeper when you throw the fact that it is a very loose, very rocky descent. Yes, there are people out there doing steeper stuff but not by much.

It also happen to be far from any kind of assistance if you happen to biff. Not "far" like in a few miles but "far" as in 2 to possibly 4 hours if you need help. As I said "Walk down it unless riding in a helicopter is a personal goal."

Finally, the article is a post on a public website. Do you really think it's a good idea to tell everyone to just "bomb down that hill"? I like having a house.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-29-19 at 08:07 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-29-19, 07:54 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Pretty flat here. Going down some over passes I've gotten to 30 MPH. I guess that's my limit.
Old 04-29-19, 08:07 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
5 years ago, 52 mph max. on a long straight downhill, drafting a tandem with a heavy captain. But at those speeds, the wind around my glasses made my eyes tear up making it hard to see, and I kind of enjoy seeing what's ahead on fast descents. Nowadays I starting feathering the brakes at 40'ish.
Old 04-29-19, 08:34 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
186,000 miles per second

That is the absolute fastest I can theoretically go

So far I have come a wee bit shy of reaching that theoretical barrier.

Back in reality....I've touched 30mph on a down slope but I can't sustain it for more than a second even when going down hill. It's also not something I do often as its fairly nerve racking.

I hit 25mph on that same down slope nearly every time I ride to work. Hitting 25 is pretty easy for the short burst. But even at 25 I can't hold it for long as it takes a lot of pedal power even with teh down slope.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 04-29-19, 08:54 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
I have hit low 40s (mph) (67-70 kph) a couple of times. It's a flat area where I live, so I haven't had much opportunity to test out how fast would I go before it would feel unsafe to me. Once was drafting behind a bus, and at that speed keeping the close distance required for the drafting to work became too uncomfortable; one other time it was down a hill, and over 60 kph my eyes started watering profusely (I wear regular spectacles, and don't have cycling goggles with sight correction). In my teens I once did 60 kph down a rather short slope in a forest, barely managed to stop before crashing into shrubbery at the foot of the hill. However that felt faster than 70kph on the road.
Old 04-29-19, 09:10 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Back in the 60s, as a junior racer, my dad clocked us in his car at 60 mph on a training ride on White Wolf Grade, a long downhill east of Bakersfield. It was sort of like the Breaking Away scene on the movie, except we were not following a semi truck. Dad pulled alongside in his '57 Plymouth Fury, tailfins and all. He held up 4 fingers, then 5, then 6. Pretty fast on a 1 inch sew up. With an 84 inch gear rule, we were spun out long before then. I still have and ride the same bike, my '64 Legnano., though, I'm a lot smarter now. My "modern" record is 46mph, coming downhill into Solvang, CA on highway 246. Yesterday, I hit 32 mph on my Roubaix on a very small hill. I didn't even realize it till I saw Strava. More important, yesterday I did a personal record on a climb, on a day that I was tired from yardwork, and didn't even feel like riding. Take your victories where you can. Most days I'm usually topping in the low 30s. Plenty fast, for a guy pushing 70,

Last edited by Slightspeed; 04-29-19 at 02:12 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 04-29-19, 11:35 AM
sputniky
Banned.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Perhaps you should read the article rather then just look at it. The ride in question is not "mundane". It has a -16+% grade which is steep in anyone's book but is even steeper when you throw the fact that it is a very loose, very rocky descent. Yes, there are people out there doing steeper stuff but not by much.

It also happen to be far from any kind of assistance if you happen to biff. Not "far" like in a few miles but "far" as in 2 to possibly 4 hours if you need help. As I said "Walk down it unless riding in a helicopter is a personal goal."
Oh, I read it alright. The fear was oozing from my screen in fact.

That's why I commented on it - because it's funny that someone suggesting that "learning how to mountain bike" would help with descending on the road while at the same time providing evidence that they lack basic mountain biking skills.

The photos of the mundane descent were just the topping on the fail cake.

Finally, the article is a post on a public website. Do you really think it's a good idea to tell everyone to just "bomb down that hill"? I like having a house.
Wait, you think that you would incur legal liability if someone read your "bomb down that hill" and was such a poor rider that they crashed on that little hill? And you would risk losing your house because your blog suggested that folks "bomb down that hill"?

Wow! I don't know what is worse, your abject paranoia or your lack or understanding of tort law.
Old 04-29-19, 11:52 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
If I understand the OP's question correctly, what is the highest comfortable speed for me?

I don't know. I think that the answer is highly dependent on road conditions, sight lines, and which bike I'm riding.

I remember descending down MD-77 outside of Thurmont, MD (around to the backside of Camp David) on my carbon road bike at ~53 mph. The shoulder was well paved and clear for a mile. There was a fog line with cars even with or slowly passing me, to the extent that I could reach out and touch a fender, if I so chose (or so it seemed). I wasn't really afraid, as the bike was confidence inspiring.

Other times, south of Middleburg, VA on semi-rutted country roads, 45 mph feels pretty sketchy on a steel road bike that was otherwise very solid feeling.

In either of the above cases, I didn't apply brakes at all, but simply let the bike go as it would.

On a rutted double track fire road descending through a forest, with the possibility of wash outs or blind approach to significant rocks, then I'd trim off speed to something that gives enough reaction time to evade, jump or whatever's needed.
Old 04-29-19, 12:54 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
186,000 miles per second

That is the absolute fastest I can theoretically go.
I think you would need at least a 2000 watt system & a couple of 48 volt battery packs...in parallel, for current reasons, of course.

You'd need to hack the motor controller though. That goes with out saying.

Tough job, but doable for sure.

Where's that guy that was running 70x11? He'd know.
Old 04-29-19, 01:17 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Where's that guy that was running 70x11? He'd know.
Well he was running that 70x11 set up a week ago...

So you'll have to check the history books from 1492 to see if he recorded how fast he got up to before stopping.

(Little relatively humor for you there)
Old 04-29-19, 01:25 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Once in Lander Wyoming coming down a mountain I hit 58MPH on my bike (per computer.) but my guess it was more like 53-55
The next week I was going down a different mountain doing 45-ish and came around a corner to find a cattle guard on the road. I left a fair amount of rubber on the pavement, and brought some chip seal home subcutaneously, but spared the wheels.

I go as fast as I feel safe and reasonable mostly. Although my wife and I have differing definitions of "safe" and "reasonable". YMMV
Old 04-29-19, 01:40 PM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Around here the roads are relatively flat. You have to look some to find a hill. However, I have hit 35 MPH on a slight downhill and maintained over 30 MPH on a flat section for about a mile...but normally 20 or so on flat road. I used to live in British Columbia on some very hilly roads and I am sure on my old 70's Peugeot 10 speed I hit close to 50 on some of those downhills.
Old 04-29-19, 02:00 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
If I understand the OP's question correctly, what is the highest comfortable speed for me?

I don't know. I think that the answer is highly dependent on road conditions, sight lines, and which bike I'm riding.

I remember descending down MD-77 outside of Thurmont, MD (around to the backside of Camp David) on my carbon road bike at ~53 mph. The shoulder was well paved and clear for a mile. There was a fog line with cars even with or slowly passing me, to the extent that I could reach out and touch a fender, if I so chose (or so it seemed). I wasn't really afraid, as the bike was confidence inspiring.

Other times, south of Middleburg, VA on semi-rutted country roads, 45 mph feels pretty sketchy on a steel road bike that was otherwise very solid feeling.

In either of the above cases, I didn't apply brakes at all, but simply let the bike go as it would.
Probably bears mentioning that should you ever find yourself already going 53 mph, hitting the brakes is probably about the last thing you ought to do. It'll severely affect your ability to corner and could cause you do go down in even a minor turn.
Old 04-29-19, 02:17 PM
Harumph

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I hit 62 mph once while descending Loveland Pass while riding in the Triple Bypass in Colorado. Wasn't too bad until a slight crosswind hit me out of no-where. Scary stuff.
Old 04-29-19, 03:15 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
My pucker factor is around 28 or 29 mph for short distances. I tell myself it's because I like riding my bike and don't want it to be over too soon, but really I'm too acutely aware of what could go wrong. Especially as my dad's childhood nickname for me was Klutz.

During one memorable descent, I decided to keep my hands off the brakes in an effort to get comfortable with higher speeds. When I hit 30 mph, the front end started to shimmy like a hula dancer (may have been the crosswind, may have been the hybrid's design); instinctively I did the right thing and gently applied a bit of the rear brake to dump some speed. The shimmy resolved and I've gone back to applying brakes on steep descents on the theory I'd rather fall off the bike at 25 mph than 40. That particular hill is shaded with tall trees, so there is a real risk of running into a pine cone, big stick, or broken glass; it even has storm drain grates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.