Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1970s Peugeot PX10 - from traditional to restomod

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1970s Peugeot PX10 - from traditional to restomod

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-21, 01:02 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
I serviced an early 70s Motobecane Grand Record last year. The surfaces were smooth but they stayed black from the old grease.

I didn't find anything as exciting as your bug though. One of our members found a dead mouse down the seat tube so that may take the cake for finding a "bug."
Old 06-14-21, 07:57 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I serviced an early 70s Motobecane Grand Record last year. The surfaces were smooth but they stayed black from the old grease.

I didn't find anything as exciting as your bug though. One of our members found a dead mouse down the seat tube so that may take the cake for finding a "bug."
I have some small spots of old grease that won't come off, and only one small pit. Contemplating whether I want to pick up one of the French bottom brackets from Velo Orange to replace it.

A mouse, too funny. Hopefully it was in there long enough to be totally desiccated. Gotta wonder how these things got in there. The seatpost would need to be out long enough for something to crawl in. Or the BB, but I don't think mine was ever removed.
Old 06-14-21, 08:09 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I have some small spots of old grease that won't come off, and only one small pit. Contemplating whether I want to pick up one of the French bottom brackets from Velo Orange to replace it.

A mouse, too funny. Hopefully it was in there long enough to be totally desiccated. Gotta wonder how these things got in there. The seatpost would need to be out long enough for something to crawl in. Or the BB, but I don't think mine was ever removed.
I figure if you go to the trouble of taking it apart, you might as well run a piece without any pitting. If the cups are good, I'd put up a WTB for a stronglight spindle in the right length in the C&V for sale forum. I think the double takes a 118-120 but a measurement beats my memory any day on this.
Old 06-14-21, 08:12 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by bikemig
I figure if you go to the trouble of taking it apart, you might as well run a piece without any pitting. If the cups are good, I'd put up a WTB for a stronglight spindle in the right length in the C&V for sale forum. I think the double takes a 118-120 but a measurement beats my memory any day on this.
The spindle is good, it's one of the cups that has the pit, so yeah, I'll probably get a new one. The spindle is 118 and in good shape.
Old 06-14-21, 08:22 PM
Iniezione 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Which one of your cups is pitted? I have an extra Stronglight bottom bracket in the parts bin, with one pitted cup. I might be able to send you a replacement.
Old 06-14-21, 10:11 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by Iniezione
Which one of your cups is pitted? I have an extra Stronglight bottom bracket in the parts bin, with one pitted cup. I might be able to send you a replacement.
The non-drive side has the pit. Still have the drive side soaking in penetrating oil to remove it, so I don't know it's condition yet.
Old 06-15-21, 11:46 AM
Iniezione 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I took a look at them. The fixed cup is a little pitted on mine as well, although not terrible. The adjustable cup looks to be better. Either one is your is you want them.

Originally Posted by johnnyace
The non-drive side has the pit. Still have the drive side soaking in penetrating oil to remove it, so I don't know it's condition yet.
Old 06-15-21, 01:11 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by Iniezione
I took a look at them. The fixed cup is a little pitted on mine as well, although not terrible. The adjustable cup looks to be better. Either one is your is you want them.
Thanks, I appreciate it! But I think I'm just going to order a new one. Kudos to Velo Orange for having French bottom brackets available for these bikes.