Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Give me the scoop on Katy Trail 3rd week of July

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-24, 11:04 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

I am thinking of doing the Katy trail 3rd week of July. Anyone in the know give me the 'executive summary?
Old 03-04-24, 01:25 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
I am guessing, it will be busy on the Eastern (St Louis) 50 mile stitch and OK everywhere else.
Old 03-04-24, 01:38 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'd further guess it'll be hot and humid. Quite possibly with lots of mosquitos if you should stop or slow down.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-04-24, 02:08 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

does it have resupply points and what is the average interval in miles to hit a store along the way?
Old 03-04-24, 03:53 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Lots of resupply points. Generally a town or settlement every fifteen miles or so. There are free maps at many of the stops. It's about the most accommodating tour I can think of.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 03-04-24, 03:56 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
It'll be HOT....too hot to ride in my experience. Was down there to ride it in early June a couple years ago. Temps in the mid-90s+..nope. Riding should be enjoyable. Nothing enjoyable about 45-60 miles a day at 95 degrees. We drove home and re-planned the trip for September. Had great weather then. We took the train from Kirkwood to Lees Summit. Then rode the Rock Island and Katy back to Kirkwood. There's inexpensive long term parking across the street from the train station.

See the Services link on top of the page..everything you need to know.

https://bikekatytrail.com/
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-04-24, 08:56 PM
PedalingWalrus

This will be my third year riding RAGBRAI and I was thinking that the week before RAGBRAI I could ride Katy trail .
Old 04-19-24, 08:04 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
It'll be HOT....
Then rode the Rock Island and Katy back to Kirkwood. There's inexpensive long term parking across the street from the train station.
https://bikekatytrail.com/
I've been down there when it's upper 90's+. Not fun. Unless you have an AC room for the night.
I've always parked in St. Charles. You let the police know you are leaving your car there.
Old 04-19-24, 10:12 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Is the Katy Trail gravel?
Old 04-19-24, 10:25 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

It's very well-compacted cinders. Unpaved, but very well maintained.
Old 04-19-24, 06:28 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Pretty sure it is screened limestone.
Old 04-20-24, 08:37 AM
rv_biker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I rode it a few years ago. It was great! Smooth hard packed crushed limestone, well maintained, and very scenic. We were also there in the summer, but just after a cold front had gone through, so it was nice weather. For overnight stays, we used B&Bs and hotels, but there are also frequent campgrounds if you want to bike camp.

We saw people riding in on road bikes with skinny tires, but we were on hybrids which we thought were perfect. Enjoy!
Old 04-21-24, 01:39 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
This will be my third year riding RAGBRAI and I was thinking that the week before RAGBRAI I could ride Katy trail .
Regarding the heat, I have not done Ragbrai, but I assume it offers minimal shade. Katy at times would have no shade but at other times would have some. And being next to a big river, that may help moderate temperature on Katy. But I am guessing on all of this and my guess woud be that Katy and Ragbrai might be about the same.

I did Katy in 2010, Oct and Nov, we did not have any heat problems, but it was below freezing one morning. That said, my memory of a week that was over 13 years ago is poor.
Old 04-21-24, 03:29 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Here's my experience with the Katy, The Rock Island trail has been opened to KC since then: Simply Cycle: Old home, old friends and the Katy Trail

Marc
Old 04-21-24, 03:33 AM
rv_biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had another thought for the OP. If you search YouTube for "KATY trail", there are lots of videos of people riding it, tips, etc. Enjoy!
Old 04-21-24, 04:08 AM
rv_biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come to think of it, this thread has given me an idea. My wife and I will be riding in the northwest Arkansas area in early May, so re-riding the KATY trail right after that sounds like fun! Thanks for the idea, OP!

Does anyone have any suggestions for RV campgrounds along the KATY trail? The last time we rode it, we were bikes only, but this time we will be leap frogging along the trail with the RV. Thanks in advance for any campground tips!
Old 04-21-24, 06:43 AM
Anicius

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
Pretty sure it is screened limestone.
Right. It bonds in place after a while and is an easy ride. But watch the weather. If you hit it before it sets (big storm occurs in the preceding days and the trail maintenance people are quickly on it), it can be very difficult riding. Bring a GPS in case you need to detour. For dry conditions, you'll collect a lime dust coating on everything. Bring a paintbrush to use as a duster, as well as whatever you need to keep the transmission clean. Riding the KATY is worth the effort.
Old 04-21-24, 06:54 AM
Thulsadoom

Does anyone have any suggestions for RV campgrounds along the KATY trail? The last time we rode it, we were bikes only, but this time we will be leap frogging along the trail with the RV. Thanks in advance for any campground tips!

https://bikekatytrail.com/katy-trail-camping.aspx
Old 04-21-24, 07:06 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Originally Posted by Anicius
Right. It bonds in place after a while and is an easy ride. But watch the weather. If you hit it before it sets (big storm occurs in the preceding days and the trail maintenance people are quickly on it), it can be very difficult riding. Bring a GPS in case you need to detour. For dry conditions, you'll collect a lime dust coating on everything. Bring a paintbrush to use as a duster, as well as whatever you need to keep the transmission clean. Riding the KATY is worth the effort.
Never thought of using a paintbrush. Thanks for the tip. I'm a hop, skip, and a jump from the Katy. I need to ride it more than I do.
Old 04-21-24, 09:32 AM
rv_biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! I didn't know about the Rock Island trail. When did it open?

Thanks Thulsadoom! Also a cool planning tool!

Last edited by rv_biker; 04-21-24 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-21-24, 08:16 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Many years ago we did the Katy around the 4th of July and it was brutal, so hot (and humid) that it made for uncomfortable camping and sleeping at night. If I were to ride it again at that time of year, which I won't, it would be hotels and B & B's the whole way. Late September, October and early November have been much more enjoyable.
Likes For robow: