Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Giant Revolt 2 flatbar

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 07:02 AM
AntoAll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Revolt 2 flatbar

Hello all,

I bought a gravel bike 3years ago, a Giant Revolt 2, and I want to install a flatbar on it to transform it in kind of a hybrid bike. I don't do much gravel biking anymore and more city with my kids and my thule chariot.

I rode all mountain bikes all my life and I'm more acclimated and comfortable with flat bar and standard shifters. The problem is that I'm a total noob concerning bike mecanic, so if somebody could help or have the information about how to choose parts for a bike I would be really grateful!

Thanks and ride safe!
Old 03-01-24, 07:32 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
The Revolt is an amazing bike and it's decently equipped. I wouldn't change a thing. I presume you have the 2020 version that came equipped with 11 speed 105?

The problem with doing a conversion is the cost of shifters, bars, derailleurs, stem, cables, housings, handgrips, etc...If you don't already have that stuff, the cost will end up being similar enough in cost to a new bike that you might as well just go buy a new bike. Even if you do the work yourself. It'll still be a gamble if it rides decent in the new configuration

Do you have a brake bleed kit?

My vote is to just buy a hybrid. The bike market has tanked since the pandemic. You can get a whole new bike for a pretty reasonable price and your local bike shop will love you for it.

A brand new Escape disc will set you back a mere $600 and come with none of the hassle, cost and unknowns of converting a perfectly complete and amazing bike.

Last edited by base2; 03-01-24 at 07:48 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 03-01-24, 12:57 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Agree with above. It's just so many parts to swap, I only know people who did these kinds of conversions because they "wanted to", and they usually had parts laying around.
Old 03-14-24, 01:41 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
If your bike is shimano this is how I did it.

Topstone Shimano 105 2x convert to flatbar
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...t-flatbar.html

Shimano has some flatbar shifters that work with road/gravel groupset. Mt brake levers work with 105 brakes but you need a different barb. I have it all listed in the link.
Old 03-14-24, 04:20 AM
AntoAll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
If your bike is shimano this is how I did it.

Shimano has some flatbar shifters that work with road/gravel groupset. Mt brake levers work with 105 brakes but you need a different barb. I have it all listed in the link.
Would it work with a sora set or only the 105?
Old 03-14-24, 09:48 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Just buy a Giant FastRoad.

Lot less hassle.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...-bikes/fitness
Old 03-14-24, 11:37 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by AntoAll
Would it work with a sora set or only the 105?
I don't know if the pull ratios are the same for Sora. They probably are. The 105/grx group set is 11 speed. I think sora 10 speed. So while it might work you would probably just have to remember to not shift too far on the back.

Is this your bike?
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/revolt-2-2022
  • Shifters Shimano Sora, 2x9
  • Brakes Tektro MD-C550 mechanical, Giant MPH rotors [F]160mm, [R]160mm
If that's your bike my instructions will not work. That bike is 9spd with mechanical brakes. The good news for you is it probably cheaper to convert. Mechanical hand brake should be cheaper and easier to convert. You could probably also just get away microshifters also.

At the price point of an revolt 2 it might be cheaper to sell it and buy the bike prj71 linked.
Old 03-14-24, 01:08 PM
AntoAll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I don't know if the pull ratios are the same for Sora. They probably are. The 105/grx group set is 11 speed. I think sora 10 speed. So while it might work you would probably just have to remember to not shift too far on the back.

Is this your bike?
  • Shifters Shimano Sora, 2x9
  • Brakes Tektro MD-C550 mechanical, Giant MPH rotors [F]160mm, [R]160mm
If that's your bike my instructions will not work. That bike is 9spd with mechanical brakes. The good news for you is it probably cheaper to convert. Mechanical hand brake should be cheaper and easier to convert. You could probably also just get away microshifters also.

At the price point of an revolt 2 it might be cheaper to sell it and buy the bike prj71 linked.
Pretty much but the 2021 model, still an 9*2. I don't want to sell my revolt I really do love it and I want to begin to work on my bikes more so it would be a great learning opportunity.

I found :
SL-R3000 shifter
BL-R3000 brake lever

Both for sora 9*2 and 150$ for both. (Sorry i can't post link since I'm new). Since everything is mecanical i think it's more simple for the installation and I don't think I would need new lines right?

Would there be a reason why I would need more than a stem, bar, grips, brake levers and shifters?

Thanks !
Old 03-14-24, 01:31 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by AntoAll
Pretty much but the 2021 model, still an 9*2. I don't want to sell my revolt I really do love it and I want to begin to work on my bikes more so it would be a great learning opportunity.

I found :
SL-R3000 shifter
BL-R3000 brake lever

Both for sora 9*2 and 150$ for both. (Sorry i can't post link since I'm new). Since everything is mecanical i think it's more simple for the installation and I don't think I would need new lines right?

Would there be a reason why I would need more than a stem, bar, grips, brake levers and shifters?

Thanks !

Good find!

Yeah this should work. There's like two or three different diameter size handle bars just make sure you order the correct one. I think your bike is a 31.8. Most road/gravel bikes are 31.8. MTB and single speed bike flat bars have a different diameter.

$49.25
Shimano Sora SL-R3000 9-Speed Right Flat Bar Road Shifter
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-R3000.../dp/B01JV9BUHW

$34.95
Shimano Sora SL-R3000 Double (2x) Left Flat Bar Road Shifter, only compatible with Sora R3000 2x front derailleur
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Sora-...1JV9C01C&psc=1

$32.94
SHIMANO Sora R3000 Flat bar Brake levers, Black
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Handl...1D8CNM1K&psc=1

This is the one I bought for my topstone it "should" work for your bike. Just confirm the diameter.

$23.59
MTB Mountain Bike Handlebar, 31.8mm Bicycle Riser Handlebars 720mm/780mm Aluminium Alloy Extra Long for Downhill Cycling Racing
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Grips another $30