Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Thorn advise me NOT to install a kickstand... but why???

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Thorn advise me NOT to install a kickstand... but why???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-07, 07:39 AM
Collie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thorn advise me NOT to install a kickstand... so what's the alternative?

hey all,

i've heard the same from many bike stores: DO NOT INSTALL A KICKSTAND

Why not? I was looking to order a Pletchser two-leg kickstand for my Thorn Sherpa, but now I have been told by Thorn that "Voids Thorn frame warranty, may crush thin walled chainstays if the bike is heavily loaded or leaned on"

So can anyone suggest an alternative?

I recall seeing a prop pole or something? can anyone give me more info or a link please?

Last edited by Collie; 04-10-07 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-10-07, 08:50 AM
Robert_in_ca

Bikes: Cannondale R3000, Specialized Enduro SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think this is too heavy or cumbersome to tour with?

https://cgi.ebay.com/New-Bike-Bicycle...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-10-07, 08:55 AM
tomn
www.Click-Stand.com

Bikes: Owner built touring & tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well..........I suppose I could make a suggestion. It is called a Click-Stand. They fold to fit in a rack bag, and weigh about 70 grams. There are models that will support fully loaded touring bikes. The web site is: www.Click-Stand.com

Tom

Last edited by tomn; 04-10-07 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-10-07, 09:33 AM
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robert_in_ca
Think this is too heavy or cumbersome to tour with?

https://cgi.ebay.com/New-Bike-Bicycle...QQcmdZViewItem
I'd imagine I'd accidentally knock over the bike a number of times using that design... You'd have to lift up the loaded back end and slip that under the bike and get it into position while the load is working against you... Could work, just seems like more work and bulk than its worth.
Old 04-10-07, 09:41 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Collie
hey all,

i've heard the same from many bike stores: DO NOT INSTALL A KICKSTAND

Why not? I was looking to order a Pletchser two-leg kickstand for my Thorn Sherpa, but now I have been told by Thorn that "Voids Thorn frame warranty, may crush thin walled chainstays if the bike is heavily loaded or leaned on"

So can anyone suggest an alternative?

I recall seeing a prop pole or something? can anyone give me more info or a link please?
I have a Sherpa and I'll be mounting an ESGE double legged kickstand on it at some point. It may void the warranty, but it is quite useful and I doubt there will be a problem as long as you are reasonable when installing it. The mounting bolt doesn't need to be torqued down uber hard.

I called Surly when I was going to mount the same type of kickstand on my LHT they said it would be fine as long as I didn't get over enthusiastic and crush the frame when tightening the stand mounting bolt. So far the stand has see lots of use and there is no damage to my LHT.

Having a double legged kickstand permanently mounted to your touring bike is far superior to a single legged kickstand or the staff shown above for propping up your bike.

Last edited by vik; 04-10-07 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 11:23 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My next frame is going to have a kick stand on it, just because I have a cool idea for one. But overall I can't say I really ever needed one that badly, cool to have, maybe. Necesarry, hardly. I have a touring recumbent, and it has a really nice, well mounted kick stand weld-on, which does solve a number of problems.
Old 04-11-07, 12:07 PM
rep

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kickstands are great and centerstands even better. Thorn is just afraid you will overtighten the hardware and smash the tubes. Don't do that!
Old 04-11-07, 03:03 PM
lighthorse

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not?
1. In your case it voids your warranty.
2. Can't think of anyplace that I have ever been that I could not do without a kickstand.
Alternative:
Find a sign, wall, fence, building, etc. to lean the bike on.
Old 04-11-07, 03:15 PM
cosmo starr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if it cant serve two purposes i leave it behind.....
Old 04-11-07, 04:41 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lighthorse
Why not?
1. In your case it voids your warranty.
2. Can't think of anyplace that I have ever been that I could not do without a kickstand.
Alternative:
Find a sign, wall, fence, building, etc. to lean the bike on.
On my recent tour in Baja there were many times when my bike on its centre stand was standing in up in the middle of nowhere while my touring partner's bike was laying down. It was particularly nice when the ground was sandy and her pedal was buried in the sand.

Having used my centre stand for a while now and on 3 tours I can emphatically say that there are lots of times when you have to go out of your way to find something to lean your bike against and often the leaned bike will fall over.

I was out for a ride recently with my GF and leaned my Sherpa up against a post while I looked at my GF's bike. She nudged the Sherpa by accident and down it went. I made a mental note to get the ESGE kickstand on her sooner rather than later.

The only downside to a kickstand is weight and I pack light for tours, but the usefulness justifies the weight for me before noon on the first day of the tour.
Old 04-12-07, 05:39 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I've always been amazed that so many bicyclists have a thing against kick stands.
Old 04-12-07, 07:12 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
I've always been amazed that so many bicyclists have a thing against kick stands.
and fenders - two of the most practical bike accessories available!....
Old 04-12-07, 07:56 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I use one of Tom's Click Stands with my commuter, it gets 20 pound plus loads regularly, and I really like it.
Old 04-12-07, 08:30 PM
Sebach

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an ESGE double-legged kickstand on my LHT and it's awesome. I was probably pushing it but I've used the kickstand when the LHT was loaded with like 60 pounds of gear.
Old 04-13-07, 04:47 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
On my recent tour in Baja there were many times when my bike on its centre stand was standing in up in the middle of nowhere while my touring partner's bike was laying down. It was particularly nice when the ground was sandy and her pedal was buried in the sand.
I don't get it. If the ground was firm enough that your stand worked, why would her pedal be burried in the sand? Seems like if the sand was soft that a stand wouldn't work well.

I am not particularly opposed to a kick stand on someone else's bike, but never found them of much use either. If there is nothing to lean the bike against, I don't see anything wrong with laying it down. Different strokes I guess.
Old 04-13-07, 04:49 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by vik
and fenders - two of the most practical bike accessories available!....
I don't see the corrolation. I don't see much use for a kick stand, but fenders are great.
Old 04-13-07, 07:36 AM
CyKKlist

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a two-legged kickstand installed on my 520 when I purchased it last fall; I always thought it was a must-have item. After my mini-tour last week, I'm less certain now. There were plenty of occasions when I just lay the bike down. The loaded panniers kept the frame/components from being scratched, and I still had access to my bar bag.

I guess I was surprised that I could make do without something I had previously thought was essential.
Old 04-13-07, 07:58 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I don't get it. If the ground was firm enough that your stand worked, why would her pedal be burried in the sand? Seems like if the sand was soft that a stand wouldn't work well.

I am not particularly opposed to a kick stand on someone else's bike, but never found them of much use either. If there is nothing to lean the bike against, I don't see anything wrong with laying it down. Different strokes I guess.
Ya well that's what's interesting a double legged kickstand sinks into the soft sand, but also keeps the bike upright at the same time - works in loose gravel and mud too.

Laying the bike down is fine - except that in sand you get sand into your pedal, you can't easily access all your panniers, if the area is wet or muddy you get your bike/panniers dirty.

Anyways as you said different strokes....
Old 04-13-07, 08:40 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
My first light tour I became annoyed with the twanging sound of the cheapo kickstand every time I hit a bump. Next tour I removed it ..and wished I hadn't. Leaning against something would occasionally allow bike to roll off and fall over. Laying it down on the right side means unknown weight and stress on the rear derailer. Laying it down on the left side screwed up the handlebar mirror.
Old 04-13-07, 10:23 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by vik
Ya well that's what's interesting a double legged kickstand sinks into the soft sand, but also keeps the bike upright at the same time - works in loose gravel and mud too.
It sounds like a double legged kickstand is probably a lot more functional than a single legged one on soft surfaces. I will still pass though, since I have never used on and am unlikely to add the extra weight for something I am already used to doing without.

I will not knock anyone else who does otherwise though.
Old 04-14-07, 02:32 AM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"Laying the bike down is fine - except that in sand you get sand into your pedal, you can't easily access all your panniers, if the area is wet or muddy you get your bike/panniers dirty."

That's a bit like fighting each new war as though it was the last war. You make excellent points for a tour in the desert... But in north america, outside of the deserts there are guard rails, architecture, and trees, in a lot of places. I might very well take your advice for Baha.

I think the main issue is how functional they are and how heavy. There are a number of ways of improving functionality while droping weight, convenience might be slightly sacrificed...

I do think that when people ask "what's the problem with kickstands" maybe Thorn's concerns bear some thinking through. Do we know that overtightening is the issue? What if when tightened properly, the loading is sufficient to damage the CSs by it'self. Maybe they know of cases where the torque on a single stand, or the bridging on a double was sufficient to damage the stays, not every time, but occasionally. Thorns are built for heavy use, to hold up when the 99.9% of the others have fallen off. What if the stand compormised that.1% of additional durability?

A kick stand length lever is sufficient to bend a .6mm wall tube, Sounds a lot like the jigs we bend the forks and stays with in the frame shop.

Last edited by NoReg; 04-14-07 at 02:56 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 09:22 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomn
Well..........I suppose I could make a suggestion. It is called a Click-Stand. They fold to fit in a rack bag, and weigh about 70 grams. There are models that will support fully loaded touring bikes. The web site is: www.Click-Stand.com

Tom

Thank you, Tom. I think you are the guy I met a Seattle Bike Expo. I lost the card and forgot the name brand. I'll be ordering two of those soon.

BTW, didn't you have the anatomica treatment (perineal cut-out) done to your B17?
Old 04-14-07, 04:07 PM
tomn
www.Click-Stand.com

Bikes: Owner built touring & tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi JCM,

You did meet me at the Seattle Bike Expo! And I did send my Brooks Flyer to Selle An-Atomica to get the LD cut out added. So far I am still very happy with it. Just so you will know I am shutting the shop down in about a week. It will be closed for 6 weeks. Bad timing I know. All Click-Stands ordered before that will be shipped 3 days form order. No high pressure sales, but if you are going to order, get going!

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-15-07, 11:38 AM
savage24

Bikes: Performance mountain bike, Giant Cypress LX hybrid, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmo starr
if it cant serve two purposes i leave it behind.....
The second purpose of my ESGE two legged kickstand is to serve as a repair stand; it will support the bike while I remove a wheel to repair a flat, adjust derailers, or clean/oil the chain.

I'm 42 and I've never paid more than $3400 for a car. I have over $2000 in my LHT including panniers, so there are only three parts of that bike I want touching the ground: front tire, kickstand, & rear tire!
Old 04-17-07, 01:46 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomn
Hi JCM,

You did meet me at the Seattle Bike Expo! And I did send my Brooks Flyer to Selle An-Atomica to get the LD cut out added. So far I am still very happy with it. Just so you will know I am shutting the shop down in about a week. It will be closed for 6 weeks. Bad timing I know. All Click-Stands ordered before that will be shipped 3 days form order. No high pressure sales, but if you are going to order, get going!

Thanks,
Tom
Done deal. have a great time in Italy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.