Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

DT-Swiss R500 DB reviews?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 07:19 PM
dexterchua84

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

Anyone had any experience on the DT-Swiss R500 DB rims? Cant seem to find any reviews online..

Thanks in advance..
Old 02-11-20, 07:06 PM
dexterchua84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if I should be worried that nobody has tried this set of rims yet..
Old 02-11-20, 08:44 PM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Why this set? if the lack fo reviews bother you when there's dozen of disc brake options that have been reviewed, just pick a set that's been reviewed or that you can get feedback on?
Old 02-11-20, 08:51 PM
dexterchua84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im just shocked nobody has been on these rims yet..the specs look good on paper though and its cheap..
Old 02-13-20, 02:48 PM
RadS

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also looking for reviews online, but can't find any. Actually I stumbled upon this thread while searching for reviews.

What I can say though is that R500 coupled with 350 hubs have become quite popular on the gravel scene here in Poland (where I live). They tend to be used by heavier riders and backpackers, including ultra gravel riders. I am currently pondering whether to buy them myself and they seem to offer a lot for the price point.
Old 02-13-20, 06:47 PM
dexterchua84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RadS
I am also looking for reviews online, but can't find any. Actually I stumbled upon this thread while searching for reviews.

What I can say though is that R500 coupled with 350 hubs have become quite popular on the gravel scene here in Poland (where I live). They tend to be used by heavier riders and backpackers, including ultra gravel riders. I am currently pondering whether to buy them myself and they seem to offer a lot for the price point.
Glad to find out that theres someone else planning to try out these rims as well..i am also in the midst of building this rim coupled with the 350 hubs DT Swiss champion spokes...
Old 02-13-20, 08:37 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
These are the ones they use on the C1800 wheelset. Might be cheaper just to buy the whole wheelset - https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...ry_country=191 Remember that you can sell the unneed endcaps for about $30/pair, so you can probably recoup about $90 here. The G1800 is slightly wider, but comes with an XD driver, so you can probably get $70 for that additionally. https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...heelset-883048
Old 02-14-20, 07:49 AM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I am running a set of those wheels on my commuter. I have over 1000 miles on them so far, and I have not had any issues. As far as I am concerned, they are a great value for the money.
Old 02-14-20, 09:08 AM
dexterchua84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldgeezerjeff
I am running a set of those wheels on my commuter. I have over 1000 miles on them so far, and I have not had any issues. As far as I am concerned, they are a great value for the money.
Exactly what i thought at first sight as well!

However I do have a question, will this rim with 24H be able to support a rider's weight of 100kg? I know it says the rim can take up to 130kg but im quite interested to go with a 32H cause im rather heavy..
Old 02-14-20, 09:37 AM
jfranci3

DT Swiss says a 130kg rider+bike+gear can go off 15cm drops with them laced 24/24h. https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...800-spline-23/ These are specifically marketed for cyclocross, which is a discipline you ride a road bike down stairs and jump things.

DT Swiss is probably the most trustworthy, highest quality player in the game. If they say it, then it is probably 100% true. I've been using their P1800 32 disc (R32) https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...800-spline-32/ for years at 90kg hitting potholes with rock hard road tires, and they've been faultless. I've not had the same experience with some other wheels I've owned.

They'll be fine for you at 24h if you use higher end spokes like DT Swiss does on their builds.
Old 02-14-20, 09:42 AM
dexterchua84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
DT Swiss says a 130kg rider+bike+gear can go off 15cm drops with them laced 24/24h. https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...800-spline-23/ These are specifically marketed for cyclocross, which is a discipline you ride a road bike down stairs and jump things.

DT Swiss is probably the most trustworthy, highest quality player in the game. If they say it, then it is probably 100% true. I've been using their P1800 32 disc (R32) https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...800-spline-32/ for years at 90kg hitting potholes with rock hard road tires, and they've been faultless. I've not had the same experience with some other wheels I've owned.

They'll be fine for you at 24h if you use higher end spokes like DT Swiss does on their builds.
Wow thanks alot for the feedback..

I dont actually do cyclocross..just that the roads and park connectors here in Singapore can get rather bumpy and uneven sometimes..Im planning to use DT-Swiss Champion spokes..would you recommend these spokes? or go even higher end?
Old 02-14-20, 11:32 AM
jfranci3

No, I'd recommend you just buy the stock wheelset and warranty it if it breaks. It'll be cheaper (I don't know about Singapore duties, etc) and work better for you as well.

If you're looking for even strong, their 32mm deep P1800 and E1800 wheelsets are the same price, but the deeper section wheel will be stronger in every direction.

Also, those would be the wrong spoke for someone worried about durability. Butted spokes are stronger and last longer. Straight spokes are good for being cheap and lateral stiffness.
Old 02-14-20, 08:04 PM
dexterchua84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
No, I'd recommend you just buy the stock wheelset and warranty it if it breaks. It'll be cheaper (I don't know about Singapore duties, etc) and work better for you as well.

If you're looking for even strong, their 32mm deep P1800 and E1800 wheelsets are the same price, but the deeper section wheel will be stronger in every direction.

Also, those would be the wrong spoke for someone worried about durability. Butted spokes are stronger and last longer. Straight spokes are good for being cheap and lateral stiffness.
Oh dear..i actually meant DT Swiss Competition Spokes..
Old 06-26-20, 03:52 AM
bnrts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old thread but maybe somebody will be searching for info. I got R500 with 350 straightpull hubs 28H, Competition Race spokes from fitwheels.eu last summer. I believe for the price they are amazing. I had no issues whatsoever with them, ride is very comfortable to the point it looks like my bike got suspension. Specialized Trigger Pro 38 installs nicely with only hands, keeps nice profile. They are super nice on gravel. I weigh around 70kg, tires run at around 3BAR. These might even be a bit overkill for me. On the other hand I don't worry about potholes, small jumps, washboard gravel, etc on these.

While it is basically C1800 it was a bit cheaper for me to go with custom build. And the most important feature - both rims and hubs have these easily removable stickers if you go with custom build. So you get a totally stealthy, totally black wheel which shaves off like 5s from any gravel race time