Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Kevlar Replacement Spokes

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 08:35 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Bikes: Trek 920 Fashioned into a Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been reading about these. and I know that they are awesome, but how do they work, I know one side goes to the rim it self, but how does the other end work?
Old 12-20-06, 08:52 PM
tomn
www.Click-Stand.com

Bikes: Owner built touring & tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took one of them on tour with me in September. Happily I didn't have to use it. It does have a sheet rolled up in the kit with pictures & instructions. I decided that I could figure it out when the emergency happens.
Old 12-20-06, 10:55 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I think awesome is overstating it. I bought one, and have never used it. I don't bother taking it now. Put the money towards getting decent wheels built by a decent wheelbuilder, and you won't ever need a kevlar spoke.
Old 12-20-06, 11:07 PM
Sebach

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one but, like tomn, decided to figure it out if and when I need it. I agree with Rowan: put the money toward wheels. I got mine (Velocity Deep-V 36h) built by Peter White and haven't had a problem. I still bring the tiny kevlar spoke just in case a stick or something gets thrown into my wheel... who knows.

Edit: to see how they work, look here: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fiberfix.htm

Last edited by Sebach; 12-20-06 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-21-06, 12:32 AM
bikerlee

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidARayJaxNC
I have been reading about these. and I know that they are awesome, but how do they work, I know one side goes to the rim it self, but how does the other end work?
They work well in my experience. About 4 years ago, friends and I took our bikes to Mexico for some riding. Day 1 and one friend breaks a spoke. I pull out my Fiber Fix spoke and he rode with it for the 3 day trip.
The instructions are good. Look at Peter White's website.
They are cheap, lightweight insurance and don't take up much room.
Regards,
Lee
Old 12-21-06, 12:45 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
+1 for cheap compact easy to carry insurance. Even if you have bomber wheels you can break a spoke with some bad luck or more likely one of the people you are riding will break a spoke.
Old 12-21-06, 11:00 PM
jkmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used 1 for 3 days until I broke a 2nd spoke. I think a better option is to take a cracker tool and spare spokes taped to the seat tube.
Old 12-22-06, 12:45 AM
toolboy

Bikes: Steve Bauer Whirlwind, Nishiki International, Rocky Mountain Element 30 1984 Cinelli Super Corsa w/Campy 50th, Surly LHT.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good and cheap insurance - carried one for years - never used it. I carry "S" spokes and they usually do the trick for drive side spoke failures
Old 12-22-06, 11:20 AM
tomn
www.Click-Stand.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my desire to carry along everthing I also have spare spokes, nipples, a hypercracker, spoke wrench, and the kitchen sink. I think that I saw myself using the kevlar spoke if I broke a spoke but didn't feel like tearing everthing apart to replace it until the end of the day.
Old 12-22-06, 11:27 AM
Rowan

Originally Posted by toolboy
Good and cheap insurance - carried one for years - never used it. I carry "S" spokes and they usually do the trick for drive side spoke failures
The S-bent spokes are a very effective solution, actually because they are very fast to replace the original and very strong.
Old 12-22-06, 01:36 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I just want to know how they work? I am interested in that.
Old 12-22-06, 01:47 PM
BostonFixed
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey I just want to know how they work? I am interested in that.
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fiberfix.htm

https://www.yellowjersey.org/fiberfix.html
Old 12-22-06, 08:18 PM
tomn
www.Click-Stand.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oops, sorry, I was having too much fun! You're right, I didn't actually address your question.
Old 12-27-06, 04:46 AM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomn
Oops, sorry, I was having too much fun! You're right, I didn't actually address your question.
... Still Havnt
Old 12-27-06, 08:29 AM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are reusable right?
Old 12-27-06, 11:06 AM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What more do you need? You put them in the place of the original spoke or along a similar path, adjust for length, and retention. One advantage is that they are not length specific. I haven't carried one, but I have a wacky idea for wheels with a lot of different spoke lengths. Could probably get it up to 8 separate lengths. seems like the only practical spoke replacement solution.

Makes sense for groups someone will have a crap wheel. It's also interesting that PW recomends tham, that would seem to indicate that stuff happens even with his wheels.

Alternatives are spokes with trimed head,

What are S spokes?
Old 12-27-06, 11:59 AM
BostonFixed
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... Still Havnt
Read the two links I posted.
Old 12-27-06, 01:23 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
Read the two links I posted.
yeaI did, I was just giving him a hard time. I appreciate the detailed paper. I couldnt find one.
Old 12-27-06, 02:32 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by Peterpan1
Makes sense for groups someone will have a crap wheel. It's also interesting that PW recomends tham, that would seem to indicate that stuff happens even with his wheels.
Come on Peter!!! It doesn't mean he uses or endorses them! They are a commodity for him to SELL to a cycling public that can't be bothered learning anything about wheels.

FWIW, these kevlar spokes were almost unobtainable about two years ago, because the company stopped making them. Then it was posted on another touring forum, and there was some fervour that justified them being put back into production.

S-spokes (the S is not quite accurate, Z probably would be, but anyway) are long spokes that have the mushroom cut off the end, then are manipulated in a vice with a pair of pliers to produce a "hook" on the end that then slips into the hub flange hole. It's shaped something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
z-spoke.bmp (9.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-27-06, 04:27 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Come on Peter!!! It doesn't mean he uses or endorses them! They are a commodity for him to SELL to a cycling public that can't be bothered learning anything about wheels.

FWIW, these kevlar spokes were almost unobtainable about two years ago, because the company stopped making them. Then it was posted on another touring forum, and there was some fervour that justified them being put back into production.

S-spokes (the S is not quite accurate, Z probably would be, but anyway) are long spokes that have the mushroom cut off the end, then are manipulated in a vice with a pair of pliers to produce a "hook" on the end that then slips into the hub flange hole. It's shaped something like this:

Just to tag onto Rowan's post.. Lighten up Peter!
Spokes can break for other reasons than poor wheel building, I had the retention pin fall out from the dérailleur cage pivot sending the dérailleur into the spokes breaking two of them ( related story). I carry 2 "S" spokes along with 2 regular spokes inside my seat post
Old 12-29-06, 02:26 AM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You guys are reading too much into this. If PW is selling them, then a PW wheel is not the only required solution to all the potential problems, be they as I mentioned in the same para, problems with other people's wheels, or his own wheels. I'm not dising his wheels, but however well a wheel is built that doesn't mean it won't break.

"Spokes can break for other reasons than poor wheel building"

I never said one word about poor wheel building by PW. There wouldn't be a meaningful point if the need for the K spokes was badly built PW wheels. It's only interesting if for whatever reason PW recomends them, and his wheels are great. Then the people higher up in the thread claiming K spokes aren't required because they have good wheels, or that money should be spent on good wheels instead K spokes, should reconsider.

You guys need to back off on the Kool Aid.

Thanks for the explanation on S spokes, are these home made or does on need to buy them. If they are home made it's a good candidate for the DIY touring gear thread.
Old 12-29-06, 02:33 AM
Rowan

Originally Posted by Peterpan1
Thanks for the explanation on S spokes, are these home made or does on need to buy them. If they are home made it's a good candidate for the DIY touring gear thread.
Homemade... but now you come to mention it, there may be business potential in recycling broken spokes... it's not as though I haven't had enough of them with the original rear wheel on the Fuji