Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cervelo S3 vs Cervelo S2?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 09:45 PM
Sinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a really nice problem to have. I'm sure all of you will be jealous. But please, bear with me.

I like STIFF bikes. I also like aero bikes. I am a sprinter, 145lbs, and short, 5'6, so I would get the smallest size of either one of these framesets. So I need to figure out which of these two cervelo framesets woudl suit me best.

Don't suggest the R series bikes, I would rather have the new Tarmac SL3 than those. So the choice is really ultimately between the Cervelo S2, S3, or Tarmac Sl3.

But let's focus on Cervelo here.

At this size, is there any real difference in the STIFFNESS of these two framesets at this size? The weight difference is negligible for my purposes. But if one is stiffer or more responsive than the other, if one rides like 'dead wood' and the other doesn't, that would make all the difference in the world.

PLease, I want only those that have experience with these bikes to respond.

Thanks

P.S. You are also welcome to point me to threads where this question has been answered before. I used to know how to search these forums, but the new interface never turns up useful results.

Last edited by Sinn; 03-17-10 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 09:50 PM
Unagidon

Bikes: 19 Look 765 Gravel RS, 18 Cervelo C5, 13 Niner Jet9 RDO, 08 Surly Crosscheck, 05 Serotta Fierte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would you consider 51cm? Note that the STA is 73 degrees vs. most other small bikes with 74 to 75 degree STA, so even a shorter top tube still means a longer reach. Just asking.
Old 03-17-10, 10:09 PM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unagidon
Would you consider 51cm? Note that the STA is 73 degrees vs. most other small bikes with 74 to 75 degree STA, so even a shorter top tube still means a longer reach. Just asking.
I know that I need a size 48. I mention size only bc it is relevant to the stiffness of the frame.
Old 03-17-10, 10:17 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
The S2 is probably stiffer. That's what I ride. I find the ride very comfortable, but I weigh 175 lbs.
Old 03-18-10, 12:52 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
FYI - Competitive has a killer deal on small S3s, btw.
Old 03-18-10, 08:28 AM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
The S2 is probably stiffer. That's what I ride. I find the ride very comfortable, but I weigh 175 lbs.
How does it compare to other bikes you've ridden and/or raced? Could you tell me how it measures up with regard to handling and responsiveness?
Old 03-18-10, 10:59 AM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vkalia
FYI - Competitive has a killer deal on small S3s, btw.
And the deal is even better on the S2. Is the S3 worth the extra $ if I don't care about comfort or weight, but only the stiffness and responsiveness of the frame.
Old 03-18-10, 12:05 PM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinn
And the deal is even better on the S2. Is the S3 worth the extra $ if I don't care about comfort or weight, but only the stiffness and responsiveness of the frame.
I knew it: I've baffled you with my brilliant questions.
Old 03-18-10, 12:26 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Without riding either bike, my guess would be that the differences will probably make miniscule differences in your ride.

In your shoes, I'd get the S3 simply b/c if I am ponying up all that money, I might as well pony up a little more (esp given what a nice deal the S3 bike is) and know I have the best bike in that particular series, but if you were to gift me an S2, I wouldnt whinge about it, ya know?

V.
Old 03-18-10, 01:54 PM
graphs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing that would hold me back from pouncing on the S3 is some reported issues with the paint. I can't remember specifically what the problem is but there's threads about it on the Cervelo forum. Worth investigating anyway.
Old 03-18-10, 01:56 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Also check the wheels you want with the S3 are compatible with the S3 frame. There was a thread about some wheel incompatibilities but I cant recall the details. Check Cervelo website and/or search here. I think the guy who started that thread might have been pharding.
Old 03-18-10, 03:04 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
175 !! For crying out loud. With all the riding you do..Mix in a salad every once in a while!
Old 03-18-10, 03:25 PM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vkalia
Without riding either bike, my guess would be that the differences will probably make miniscule differences in your ride.

In your shoes, I'd get the S3 simply b/c if I am ponying up all that money, I might as well pony up a little more (esp given what a nice deal the S3 bike is) and know I have the best bike in that particular series, but if you were to gift me an S2, I wouldnt whinge about it, ya know?

V.

$1000 difference is a big difference. And for what? A less than half pound difference in the weight of the frame? A little more compliance?

There's got to be more of a difference than that for that much money.
Old 03-18-10, 07:05 PM
eric01

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope that's pretty much it. S3 claimed to be a bit more aero too.

As for the $1000 spend to get "not much more", that's diminishing returns at the high end. Spending $1000 to go from a $500 to $1500 bike gets you a lot. Spending $1000 to go from a $4k to $5k --- not so much.

Are you test riding these frames?
Old 03-18-10, 10:36 PM
Lacking

Bikes: 09 Sirrus Sport, and an 09 Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't get an S2. I crushed a soul that had one yesterday with my allez with sora components. I smiled, he looked like he wanted to kill me, but he couldn't catch up.
Old 03-19-10, 05:30 AM
Sinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lacking
don't get an S2. I crushed a soul that had one yesterday with my allez with sora components. I smiled, he looked like he wanted to kill me, but he couldn't catch up.
Don't worry, you wouldn't be able to do that to me.
Old 03-19-10, 07:50 AM
Lacking

Bikes: 09 Sirrus Sport, and an 09 Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry, you wouldn't be able to do that to me.
I figured someone would come back with something along those lines. It was the end of a 40 miles group ride and we were the rabbits on the way back. Tired and sore with a dead sprint. I probably only won because I have am 10 years younger than the other guy. Still felt good though seeing him suffer because I was hurting pretty freaking bad too.
Old 03-19-10, 08:38 AM
Chris R.
Team ABC Cycles

Bikes: 2010 Colnago CX-1 and '12 S-Works Venge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Must be the bike.
Old 03-20-10, 01:09 PM
eavonius
Cranks McGivins

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read that the seat stays on the S3 are thin like the R3, so it's supposed to be more forgiving to bumps and give a slightly more comfortable ride for their aero bikes. I guess the chain stays are beefier to account for this and so the power transfer is still supposed to be really good. Never ridden one but that's what competitive cyclist and the marketing folks say is the only real difference other than weight.
Old 03-20-10, 03:58 PM
Unagidon

Bikes: 19 Look 765 Gravel RS, 18 Cervelo C5, 13 Niner Jet9 RDO, 08 Surly Crosscheck, 05 Serotta Fierte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can afford it, get the S2 so that upgradeitis won't set in. Although for any mortal rider, and with the deals, the S2 appears to be a better deal.
Old 03-20-10, 04:16 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
How does it compare to other bikes you've ridden and/or raced? Could you tell me how it measures up with regard to handling and responsiveness?
I've only had two full CF bikes: the S2 and my new Scott Addict. The S2 is the best racing bike I've ever ridden. The Six13 (half CF, half alu) I had before was a plusher ride, but I do prefer the S2. I like the S2 more than the Addict (although there are aspects about the Addict that I like as well). But overall I am thrilled with the S2, particularly for racing and competitive riding. I am surprised how comfortable it is for such a stiff bicycle. The Addict is less comfortable, but it still feels great. The latter would be a tough bike for 80+ miles over rough roads. The S2 I can ride all day long. I don't ride over 50 miles that frequently, so they all work (except for the TT bike, that's tough for 2+ hours).
Old 03-20-10, 09:26 PM
JonnyUtah75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a pretty sick deal on the S2. Now I'm considering it.

Slightly OT: If I were to go with an S2, how much speed could I reasonably expect to gain coming from a comfort bike like a Synapse?
Old 03-20-10, 09:36 PM
Unagidon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyUtah75
That is a pretty sick deal on the S2. Now I'm considering it.

Slightly OT: If I were to go with an S2, how much speed could I reasonably expect to gain coming from a comfort bike like a Synapse?
At stand still - you'll LOOK much faster.
Riding - I expect nothing less than 10 mph.....NOT. You'll go faster for sure, likely much due to psychology vs. the actual bike. I'd say < 1 mph.
Old 03-20-10, 09:38 PM
JonnyUtah75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm...considering I don't race I'm not sure that small of an improvement is worth the money and a less comfortable frame. I was hoping the aero frame of the S2 would give me a bit more. *sigh*
Old 03-20-10, 10:07 PM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Extra speed on a "better" bike can come in different ways but they mostly originate with the rider. Eg: you feel more confident at speed and therefore take hills & corners quicker. Or, the frame absorbs more bumps and you are able to ride more relaxed - which consumes less energy over a longer race and thus you are fresher to ride quicker. Extra speed rarely comes from riding the same piece of road in the same way as you would on your "slower" bike. Hate to say it but.......its not about the bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.