Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Any great rides from Newport Beach?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 12:58 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

Hi, my wife and I are going to be in Newport Beach in a couple weeks.
We’re looking for a 30-50 mile, round-trip, ride.
Any suggestions?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-01-12, 01:13 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
These days, I'm reluctant because of the current events of the two ladies who died in Newport Beach. One on Pacific Coast Hwy and the other on Newport Coast.
Old 10-01-12, 01:41 PM
idoru2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plenty of great rides in the area. But if you are staying in Newport Beach, I'd recommend parking near the Back Bay and start your ride on the bike trail there. I would NOT recommend any routes taking your through Newport Beach along PCH, rather travel inland along the bike path into Irvine. From Irvine, you will have access to better, wider roads, and less hostile drivers.
Old 10-01-12, 01:45 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Traffic will be a issue, because I'll be riding with some less experienced cyclists.
Also, we'll be launching from the Balboa Bay Club, but I'm totally unfamiliar with that area.

Old 10-01-12, 01:55 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Traffic will be a issue, because I'll be riding with some less experienced cyclists.
Also, we'll be launching from the Balboa Bay Club, but I'm totally unfamiliar with that area.
Check the bikeirvine.com website. Many of the route slips are listed there. I wish you were more familiar with the area because there are alot of bike trails to take. If you start at Back Bay you can take the San Diego/Mountain to the Sea Trail all the way up to Portola in Irvine. Round trip its about 40 miles or so. The Balboa Bay Club is nearby but you have to ride some of the most hazardous portions of PCH to get to BayShore Drive and the Back Bay trail. You can also turn left, go up Dover, connect to the Bike Trail about 100 yds from PCH which connects you through some beautiful residential streets and when you hit Irvine Blvd turn right onto West Back Bay.

I would really consider meeting at BayShore Drive (about a mile or so from the Balboa Bay Club) and start your ride there especially if less experience riders. Or please, stay on the sidewalk on PCH until you get to BayShore. Once on Back Bay, your riding will be glorious. It's a beautiful bike trail...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 10-01-12, 02:10 PM
colombo357

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
An interesting thing to note about Newport is that many of the sidewalks are huge, uncluttered, and shaded, and many of them have signage that specifically state that bikes are allowed on them. I typically don't descend on sidewalks, but almost always climb on them where they're available.

The woman who died on Newport Coast Dr. was terribly unlucky. That stretch of road is straight as an arrow (I just passed by her ghost bike memorial the other day), and the driver was 100% at fault. However, I've always ridden on the sidewalk on that stretch of road. Much of it is shaded, and there are hardly any pedestrians.
Old 10-01-12, 02:14 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
SART? Starts just west of Newport and goes as far as you want to go. You'll have to navigate through town to pickup the beginning of the trail, but the streets are wide, albeit heavily traveled. I've found cagers fairly respectful of bikes within Newport. Once on PCH? Well, at least the road is wide.

In case you don't know, SART = Santa Ana River Trail. A mup that is constructed to avoid intersections and street crossings, at least up to Corona. The link to the "official" SART web site

Last edited by volosong; 10-01-12 at 02:20 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-01-12, 02:20 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How to do a turn-about in your own footprint:
https://forums.craigslist.org/?ID=200733182
Old 10-01-12, 02:23 PM
colombo357

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Here's a nice over-and-back route that's challenging but keeps you away from the heavy traffic areas.

1. Get to Back Bay Dr. from where you're starting
2. Follow the other riders, onto a sidewalk along Eastbluff and then Jamboree. Merge onto the San Diego Creek Trail (MUP).
3. Follow the San Diego Creek Trail northwest.
4. Temporary exit at Jeffrey. Ride south along Jeffrey for a mile or so. The MUP will continue on the left side of the road, on a bridge over the 405 to Quail Hill trail (MUP).
5. Follow Quail Hill Trail east to Shady Canyon trail (MUP).
6. Follow Shady Canyon trail south to Bonita Canyon.
7. Follow Bonita Canyon Dr. west to San Miguel (goes through a small shopping center with a Pavilions).
8. Follow San Miguel south to Spyglass Hill (residential area)
9. Follow Spyglass Hill south to San Joaquin Hills (pretty steep climb here through residential)
10. Climb San Joaquin Hills east to Newport Coast (sidewalk OK)
11. Descend Newport coast south toward PCH
12. Take a detour, turning right and descending down Pelican Hill Rd.
13. At the bottom intersection, turn left back onto Newport Coast (sidewalk OK) and climb until you reach Vista Ridge
14. Turn right on Vista Ridge and climb to the summit (this one's steep, over 20% in some areas)
15. Descend down Ridge Park and head back to San Joaquin Hills
16. Backtrack to your car

Should be a bit over 40 miles with over 4000 ft of climbing. Map it on ridewithgps... my directions may not be totally accurate.

Last edited by colombo357; 10-01-12 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 03:23 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Consider riding up to Long Beach to the Queen Mary and back. Once you get past the Balboa Peninsula bridge, PCH is fairly wide open.
Old 10-02-12, 05:45 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Since you're at the balboa bay club, ask to see the yachts that are on their docks.
Old 10-02-12, 10:37 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colombo - although beautiful that is an "evil" route with significant climbing. I took it that Nachoman will have less experienced riders with him so perhaps all of this:

8. Follow San Miguel south to Spyglass Hill (residential area)
9. Follow Spyglass Hill south to San Joaquin Hills (pretty steep climb here through residential)
10. Climb San Joaquin Hills east to Newport Coast (sidewalk OK)
11. Descend Newport coast south toward PCH
12. Take a detour, turning right and descending down Pelican Hill Rd.
13. At the bottom intersection, turn left back onto Newport Coast (sidewalk OK) and climb until you reach Vista Ridge
14. Turn right on Vista Ridge and climb to the summit (this one's steep, over 20% in some areas)
15. Descend down Ridge Park and head back to San Joaquin Hills

is not what Nacho is looking for. I use that route in my hill climbing class... it's brutal! BTW several years ago a cyclist was killed descending Vista Ridge - a motorist turned out in front of him. Also 2 years ago a cyclist was killed on Skyglass but a truck turning left... Very steep descent; not really prudent... That whole area, Spyglass, San Joaquin, Newport Coast, Vista Ridge,etc., has had its troubles recently. If cycling in those areas, please be mindful and watch out.

Also re SART... its an OK route from ocean to inland but not particularly scenic and especially if one is out of town becasue it travels through some "iffy" areas... stay with the "Mountain To Sea" route through Back Bay... Also I would avoid travel up PCH through Huntington Beach and to Long Beach unless familar with the area. You can take the strand but lots of pedstrians to deal with (unless you are riding during the week - then it might be OK)... PCH is dangerous. Several deaths there within last 2 years...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 10-02-12, 11:52 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Hey thanks for the tips. I also found a few group rides on the Bike Religion website that sound okay for this group.
One leaves from the shop, just a few blocks from the hotel, and the other leaves from PCH and Orchid.