Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Attending the Richmond Worlds

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Attending the Richmond Worlds

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 08:17 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by hokie cycler
Did anyone notice Sagan in the big ring going up 23rd Street on the final lap? The BIG FREAKING RING! Any of you in the RVA go out and give 23rd a run in the big ring and report back. My guess is it won't go well.
Perhaps he didn't want to risk slipping the chain by downshifting fd on the pavé, at any rate it shows his strength. The whole deal was a blast from seeing the incredible talent to mingling with Bike Fans O'The World. I wish DC local media had done a bit to publicize Richmond2015. Sure, bike racing rarely makes the evening sports report but they might have been interested in a big int'l event happening close by.

If anybody has some more good photos I'd like to see 'em. Never thought about borrowing a friend's nice SLR camera but since rain was predicted I probably wouldn't have done so anyway. My action shots were mostly mediocre but I might post some pics of the fans etc. My favorite bunch were the Belgian group that stationed themselves next to the fan zone on 23rd St (next to the beer supply of course!). They had full uniforms; an American fan asked them for a group pic & they happily obliged & even broke out into a lilting song. Is there an official Belgian bike fan song? On TV coverage I learned that Belgium has the historical lead in Worlds wins.
Old 10-17-15, 03:43 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Perhaps he didn't want to risk slipping the chain by downshifting fd on the pavé, at any rate it shows his strength. The whole deal was a blast from seeing the incredible talent to mingling with Bike Fans O'The World. I wish DC local media had done a bit to publicize Richmond2015. Sure, bike racing rarely makes the evening sports report but they might have been interested in a big int'l event happening close by..
I think the first 7 to 10 riders on the last lap were in the big ring. It just goes to show how incredible these guys are in that they could do this after 162 miles of racing.
Old 10-17-15, 04:36 PM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You'd be surprised what you can climb in the big ring when racing, but I doubt I could get up that hill with any speed in the big ring. The difference between some of the guys I raced in local P/1/2/3 races and domestic pros is huge, the difference between domestic pro and the Pro Tour Teams is huge as well, those top level guys are insane.
Old 10-18-15, 05:53 PM
spec84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sagan is probably the strongest guy out there short of maybe Greipel. Andre Greipel is a beast! I think the only thing that has ever hindered Greipel would be his weight, but he's all muscle. When he's in the right place at the right time, he can pull away from the top sprinters in the world.
Old 10-19-15, 08:02 AM
WCroadie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agreed, and seeing him up close in person is astonishing, he is all muscle and an absolute monster.
Old 10-19-15, 12:07 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts

If anybody has some more good photos I'd like to see 'em. Never thought about borrowing a friend's nice SLR camera but since rain was predicted I probably wouldn't have done so anyway. My action shots were mostly mediocre but I might post some pics of the fans etc. My favorite bunch were the Belgian group that stationed themselves next to the fan zone on 23rd St (next to the beer supply of course!). They had full uniforms; an American fan asked them for a group pic & they happily obliged & even broke out into a lilting song. Is there an official Belgian bike fan song? On TV coverage I learned that Belgium has the historical lead in Worlds wins.
Here's an album with basically everything from the week on my memory card dumped into it, so there are shots from the TTT, some group rides I was on, the men's and women's ITTs, U23 race, women's race, and men's race. Taken with a couple of different small point and shoot Canons that I have. I haven't really screened any of them, so a lot are utter crap/out of focus/blurry, but some are decent. A few of you guys can probably find yourselves in the crowds. Eventually I'll take the time to weed out the bad photos and maybe do some photoshop massaging on the good ones to make them better, but there's only so much you can do with a tiny camera.

Worlds 2015 by dan333sp | Photobucket

@
hokie cycler @WCroadie @seypat @WillWeaverRVA @spec84 @PepeM @eventserivces @Steve530 @wvridgerider

Last edited by Dan333SP; 10-19-15 at 12:55 PM. Reason: @PepeM
Old 10-19-15, 01:03 PM
WillWeaverRVA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Here's an album with basically everything from the week on my memory card dumped into it, so there are shots from the TTT, some group rides I was on, the men's and women's ITTs, U23 race, women's race, and men's race. Taken with a couple of different small point and shoot Canons that I have. I haven't really screened any of them, so a lot are utter crap/out of focus/blurry, but some are decent. A few of you guys can probably find yourselves in the crowds. Eventually I'll take the time to weed out the bad photos and maybe do some photoshop massaging on the good ones to make them better, but there's only so much you can do with a tiny camera.

@
hokie cycler @WCroadie @seypat @WillWeaverRVA @spec84 @PepeM @eventserivces @Steve530 @wvridgerider
Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it out as much as I wanted to, so what I have is pretty much all I have. I did get quite a few good shots, though.

Here's the link to my Flickr album again:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/corede...57656611666383
Old 10-19-15, 07:11 PM
DropBarFan

Thanks, very nice photos considering from point 'n shoot camera. My Fuji compact has some manual settings but I'm too lazy to learn 'em. For me it was easier to take action pics w/old film cams vs digitals w/vast # of settings & tiny icons. For spectators that want to get seen on TV or cam shots one should wear something really distinctive (not a black t-shirt LOL).
Old 10-19-15, 07:36 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by WillWeaverRVA
Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it out as much as I wanted to, so what I have is pretty much all I have. I did get quite a few good shots, though.

Here's the link to my Flickr album again:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/corede...57656611666383
Some great pics, thanks! In olden days before pro racers wore helmets/shades it was much easier to spot various riders during a race, now it helps to have the photos to 'see what ya' saw'. Kinda surprising to see many of the racers (even Russians) wearing long-sleeve jerseys & tights for warmup or training. Despite temps being fairly comfortable I guess it's the smart thing to keep warm & supple. OTOH in olden days races I think there was a macho rule against wearing tights during a race--here's Hinault on the way to 1980 solo victory in Ličge-Bastogne-Ličge during snowstorm:

Old 10-20-15, 04:22 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Thanks, very nice photos considering from point 'n shoot camera. My Fuji compact has some manual settings but I'm too lazy to learn 'em. For me it was easier to take action pics w/old film cams vs digitals w/vast # of settings & tiny icons. For spectators that want to get seen on TV or cam shots one should wear something really distinctive (not a black t-shirt LOL).
Thanks. Mine are a little Cannon S110 and SX260 for more zoom, so both have full manual controls, but I obviously fail to do much with them and end up in auto a lot of the time. A bunch of photos from the women's race and time trial involved me playing with the shutter speed trying to get blur, but they ended up just out of focus and overexposed. 1 in every 10 actually looks something like what I intended. Good thing memory cards are cheap. This is about as close as I came to getting what I intended, and even that needs a lot of help-

Old 10-20-15, 07:56 AM
WCroadie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good photos, Dan!

Here are all the pics I took of the Men's RR, haven't removed the crappy ones yet. I have some U23 and women's if anyone is interested
https://goo.gl/photos/XjMt3HfWJzXxSwi69
Old 10-20-15, 08:33 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts

@
Some cracking images there.
Old 10-22-15, 07:17 PM
DropBarFan

Thanks. Mine are a little Cannon S110 and SX260 for more zoom, so both have full manual controls, but I obviously fail to do much with them and end up in auto a lot of the time. A bunch of photos from the women's race and time trial involved me playing with the shutter speed trying to get blur, but they ended up just out of focus and overexposed. 1 in every 10 actually looks something like what I intended. Good thing memory cards are cheap. This is about as close as I came to getting what I intended, and even that needs a lot of help-
I'm good at getting blur except it's the riders who get blurred, heh. I did a little video which turned out to be slo-mo, that's exciting. The elite riders scoot up the hills pretty fast despite the steep pitch as long as riders in front didn't fumble. I had thought that some of the riders might run up half the hill if they got slowed down by another rider & had to stop but that didn't happen too much, would have been hard to run at ~10 mph they were riding up the pavé,
Old 10-22-15, 07:36 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by WCroadie
Good photos, Dan!

Here are all the pics I took of the Men's RR, haven't removed the crappy ones yet. I have some U23 and women's if anyone is interested
https://goo.gl/photos/XjMt3HfWJzXxSwi69
Thanks, great photos! Wow, in Worlds ya' rarely see the racers coasting along & chatting, it's grueling just to keep up with the pack. U23 & Womens' Elite was the only other races I saw besides Mens' Elite so I'd be interested to see.

BTW how did folks like the US TV coverage? IMO it seemed OK, maybe a touch casual & chatty in parts vs sticking to actual proceedings. I liked the on-course PA announcing & jumbotron video but in the quieter parts of course w/o PA speakers it would have been nice if the streaming video had worked.
Old 10-23-15, 11:03 AM
WCroadie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, great photos! Wow, in Worlds ya' rarely see the racers coasting along & chatting, it's grueling just to keep up with the pack. U23 & Womens' Elite was the only other races I saw besides Mens' Elite so I'd be interested to see.

BTW how did folks like the US TV coverage? IMO it seemed OK, maybe a touch casual & chatty in parts vs sticking to actual proceedings. I liked the on-course PA announcing & jumbotron video but in the quieter parts of course w/o PA speakers it would have been nice if the streaming video had worked.
Thanks. You could hear/see the pro's talking casually while corning at like 40+mph, those guys are insane.

The coverage was mediocre. I much prefer the eurosport announcers over nbcsports/universal guys, I believe they did not send the TV crews over from Europe, even the Eurosport coverage was the nbcsports cameras feed.
Old 10-25-15, 07:32 AM
WCroadie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Watch the highlights and listen to the Eurosport announcers, they are so much better than NBCSports. I can watch that finish over and over...

Old 10-26-15, 09:33 PM
DropBarFan

Good video of the final Sagan attack. Amazing that he went into a "super-tuck" right after last Libby Hill.
Old 10-27-15, 11:03 AM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good video of the final Sagan attack. Amazing that he went into a "super-tuck" right after last Libby Hill.
He was still pedaling in the super tuck. I would love to know how fast he took the corner onto 18th Street. Mad descending skills.
Old 11-27-15, 06:44 PM
hokie cycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice two page photo of Libbie Hill in the December issue of VeloNews.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Keith Perhaps Worlds_Page_1.jpg (103.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg
Keith Perhaps Worlds_Page_2.jpg (103.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-28-15, 04:11 PM
DropBarFan

I'm still reminiscing about the races, thanx! Local weather warm this weekend & felt pretty good over the hills, "Yeah, I'm Peter Sagan!", LOL. Any track fans heading to London for UCI Track Worlds in March?
Old 12-02-15, 07:46 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Great pictures, thanks to all who posted. Great memories of the event.

So we are heading down t RVA for our annual family GTG after Christmas. Seriously considering bringing the roadbike along and attacking Libby Hill and 23rd Street climbs, haha.
Will probably bring the 29er though, and do some riding on the island accessed by the footbridge. A guy in the RVA booth at Libby Hill was telling me a about a MTB area along the river near the trash dump also.
Old 12-02-15, 09:45 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by redcon1
Great pictures, thanks to all who posted. Great memories of the event.

So we are heading down t RVA for our annual family GTG after Christmas. Seriously considering bringing the roadbike along and attacking Libby Hill and 23rd Street climbs, haha.
Will probably bring the 29er though, and do some riding on the island accessed by the footbridge. A guy in the RVA booth at Libby Hill was telling me a about a MTB area along the river near the trash dump also.
There are TONS of MTB trails around here. I only have a road bike, but most of my friends do both and rave about Buttermilk, North Bank, Belle Isle, ect. The James River Park System (JRPS) has a lot of trails in it, do a search and you can pull up some maps.

I'm reminiscing about Worlds as well, I really need to get into Barnes & Noble to buy up some of the Euro cycling mags with coverage of that week to keep somewhere special.
Old 12-03-15, 11:53 PM
DropBarFan

Didn't get a chance to ride up the cobbles but I'd guess not super-difficult assuming no traffic. Was fun to see all the diff spectator bikes, a surprising # of folders in attendance.
Old 12-04-15, 05:52 PM
hokie cycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Didn't get a chance to ride up the cobbles but I'd guess not super-difficult assuming no traffic. Was fun to see all the diff spectator bikes, a surprising # of folders in attendance.
Libby Hill is not difficult, it's bumpy and trying to ride the gutter is difficult as it is very narrow.

23rd Street is a beast. It's short and with the cross street you have to stop at the bottom so you start it from a dead stop which makes it harder. You can get wheel slip if you stand and have your weight too far forward.
Old 12-06-15, 10:24 PM
DropBarFan

Heh, Governor Hill had me panting a bit 'cause I'm so out of shape. BTW I see that the Richmond youth hostel is now open. I have the idea to drive halfway-down from DC to Richmond & do a weekend tour, in part to scout out routes for possible eventual DC-Richmond & back ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.